U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,595,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Personally I don't see anything "sad" about most of it.

A new Black Renaissance is occurring here in Atlanta in the arts, politics, economic expansion, etc. It's an exciting time to be alive here because of the new dynamic being created AND because it is all on our own accord. People are moving here because they want to, not because they are being forced to or to escape the lynching and murders our grandparents left behind.

And I would feel this way if it were occurring in the Midwest, Northeast or the West. It's just icing on the cake that it is happening in the land where we were once so maligned and in chains. Makes me wish I could get a hold of Doc Brown's Delorean and bring back whatever slave owner or segregationist I could find just so I can rub their stupid face in it's glory.
And what's funny is that you still have plenty of people who hate how far blacks in the south have come.

People are always commenting on how racist and backwards the south is, yet you have cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta where blacks--the descendants of slaves--are truly thriving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:17 PM

514 posts, read 668,170 times
Lightbulb again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
When did I mention Minnesota? I said the Northeast. Plus, there are blacks in the Northeast who descended from people who were enslaved in the Northeast back in the 18th century (some NE states once had slavery). How do they have roots in the South when they don't have any Southern ancestry?
I said most, not all. And the article was about the Great Migration in which ALL of them came from the South by definition.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:55 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,582,579 times
I guess the reason it bothers me is that it's self-segregationist - blacks all moving to one place instead of integrating into the larger society, like in Canada (yes, I know Canada has a much smaller black population). Also, I know blacks aren't the only people to self-segregate -- every group has done it at some point, it's the American way, sadly.

As far as the South being backwards, well, it is in many ways. It's come a long way since the 1950s, but it still has the nation's highest poverty rate, highest teen pregnancy rate, lowest education rate, highest crime rate and largest number of hate groups. Plus, the far-right politics of the region aren't really my thing (not to turn this into a political thread).

Obviously, not all of the South is like what I described above, and blacks tend to move to the more progressive regions like Atlanta and Houston (I don't consider Florida part of the South). Obviously, as I'm not culturally black and have deep roots in the Midwest, I can't fully understand what draws blacks to the region over, say, Seattle, Colorado or New York. There's nothing wrong with blacks (or anyone, for that matter) moving south, I just wish the Midwest was more of a destination.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,717,071 times
Quote:
I guess the reason it bothers me is that it's self-segregationist - blacks all moving to one place instead of integrating into the larger society, like in Canada (yes, I know Canada has a much smaller black population). Also, I know blacks aren't the only people to self-segregate -- every group has done it at some point, it's the American way, sadly.

As far as the South being backwards, well, it is in many ways. It's come a long way since the 1950s, but it still has the nation's highest poverty rate, highest teen pregnancy rate, lowest education rate, highest crime rate and largest number of hate groups. Plus, the far-right politics of the region aren't really my thing (not to turn this into a political thread).

Obviously, not all of the South is like what I described above, and blacks tend to move to the more progressive regions like Atlanta and Houston (I don't consider Florida part of the South). Obviously, as I'm not culturally black and have deep roots in the Midwest, I can't fully understand what draws blacks to the region over, say, Seattle, Colorado or New York. There's nothing wrong with blacks (or anyone, for that matter) moving south, I just wish the Midwest was more of a destination.
Because those places [excluding New York] don't offer the Black cultural amenities as places such as Houston and Atlanta. Blacks don't pick these cities simply because they have large black populations, but they see many successful blacks in these areas and they are able to mingle amongst a diverse crowd; while also being able to experience their own culture.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM

The South really isn't all that diverse, though (excluding Florida and perhaps Texas). It's basically just black and white, with a smattering of Hispanics and Asians. Is a city that's 50% white, 40% black and 10% other all that "diverse?"

Before anyone says it, yes, I know Minnesota is mostly white. It's diversifying pretty quickly, though - we get a lot of Asian and African immigrants. Still, let's leave Minnesota out of this discussion.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Quote:

Well I think you answered your own question.Its not so much self segregation but how many white people do you see moving to Detroit?Culturally why would anyone move so far away from there own culture to be surrounded by something totally unfamiliar?The only time anyone does that is when they have hardly any options or the choices are just bad.White people are not fleeing the South.So all this talk about self segregation and diversity is crap no matter how progressive minded people are.
Its like a town I read about in Maine that had a large refugee population of Somalians.The towns people wanted diversity and wanted o help resettle these people.AS word got back to Somalia about this terrific place where people are so kind and welcoming,within a couple of years a major increase of hate crimes started to occur.
Its not always so black and white(literally).Not to offend you but you should do more traveling and your naivete'will dissipate.
Effects of Refugee Resettlement in Portland and Lewiston

Last edited by afonega1; 02-15-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 07:39 PM

314 posts, read 643,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Do you even know what the Great Migration was? Actually there were at least two. Almost all blacks have roots in the South. Now that the South has changed and industrialized they're just going back home. There's nothing more to it than that.
Just cause the many African Americans may have had family in the South generations ago doesn't make the South there home anymore the current regions they've lived in all their lives

The South is okay but I find it funny people are pretending like the region is some oasis for blackfolk when that's far from the truth....Last time I checked there is no shortage of poverty, crime disenfranchisement , and all the ills blacks are supposedly fleeing from up North and out West....Annually the region with the most violent(read: black on black crime) cities in in good ole Dixie..I mean I have no problem with other brothers/sisters moving down here but I hope they aint suffering from some illusion that the South has become the black promise land like some are portraying...It probably would be best suited to try and fix the communities they stay in if they can but if they moving for job related reasons or cheaper housing(although that affordability of the South is highly exaggerated though I never lived elsewhere) I can understand.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM

I don't want to make this thread about me, but I've traveled extensively in the South. I've been all over Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky and northern Florida. I've met some cool people and some really ignorant people. I've also been all over the Midwest, to every Midwestern state except Kansas, Nebraska and North Dakota. I've been out west, too, to California. I've lived in three different states, which is more than many people can say. By far the most racism I've experienced has been in the South, and the most overt displays of ignorance were down south as well.

However, the reason I don't like the South isn't based on race. Instead, it's the insular mindset of some Southerners, you know, the whole Confederate flag, "The South Shall Rise Again" thing. Most Southerners are not like that, but a significant, vocal minority are. Also, I don't like the very conservative Republican politics of the region, the gun-toting mindset or the lack of emphasis and value on education (Southern states always rank the lowest in the country for K-12 schools). Also, I know this is kind of petty, but the weather down there bugs me too -- heat and humidity, no real seasons.

I understand why you and many other African-Americans (you are AA, right?) like the South, and I don't have a problem with others moving down there. Hey, someone has to live in Dixie! It just kind of bugs me how the Midwest always gets overlooked in these discussions, or how people think the South is THE place for blacks, when the reality is African-Americans (and Whites, Hispanics, etc.) are doing well in all four regions.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:06 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,306,960 times
Quote:
The South really isn't all that diverse, though (excluding Florida and perhaps Texas). It's basically just black and white, with a smattering of Hispanics and Asians. Is a city that's 50% white, 40% black and 10% other all that "diverse?"

Before anyone says it, yes, I know Minnesota is mostly white. It's diversifying pretty quickly, though - we get a lot of Asian and African immigrants. Still, let's leave Minnesota out of this discussion.
Whitest States by percentage.

Showing latest available data.
Rank States Amount
# 1 Vermont: 96.6 %
# 2 Maine: 96.3 %
# 3 New Hampshire: 95.7 %
# 4 West Virginia: 95 %
# 5 South Dakota: 94 %
# 6 Iowa: 93.8 %
# 7 Wyoming: 92.5 %
# 8 Idaho: 92.3 %
# 9 North Dakota: 91.7 %
# 10 Utah: 90.8 %
= 11 Kentucky: 90.3 %
= 11 Montana: 90.3 %
# 13 Nebraska: 88.8 %
= 14 Minnesota: 88.1 %
= 14 Wisconsin: 88.1 %
# 16 Oregon: 87.4 %
# 17 Kansas: 87.1 %
# 18 Indiana: 86.8 %
= 19 Pennsylvania: 84.8 %
= 19 Missouri: 84.8 %
# 21 Ohio: 84.6 %
# 22 Massachusetts: 84 %
# 23 Rhode Island: 83.8 %
# 24 Colorado: 83.5 %
# 25 Washington: 81 %
# 26 Connecticut: 80.1 %
= 27 Michigan: 80 %
= 27 Tennessee: 80 %
# 29 Arkansas: 79.4 %
# 30 Nevada: 77.6 %
# 31 Florida: 77.5 %
# 32 Arizona: 77.4 %
# 33 Oklahoma: 75.3 %
# 34 Illinois: 74.8 %
# 35 Delaware: 74.5 %
# 36 Texas: 73.9 %
= 37 North Carolina: 72.6 %
= 37 Virginia: 72.6 %
# 39 Alabama: 71.1 %
# 40 New Mexico: 70.7 %
# 41 New Jersey: 70.6 %
# 42 Alaska: 69 %
# 43 South Carolina: 68 %
# 44 New York: 67.8 %
# 45 Louisiana: 63.9 %
# 46 Georgia: 63.6 %
# 47 Maryland: 63.3 %
# 48 California: 63 %
# 49 Mississippi: 61 %
# 50 District of Columbia: 33.1 %
# 51 Hawaii: 25.2 %
Weighted average: 78.8 %
How is the South any different than anywhere else in the country?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,595,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Just cause the many African Americans may have had family in the South generations ago doesn't make the South there home anymore the current regions they've lived in all their lives

The South is okay but I find it funny people are pretending like the region is some oasis for blackfolk when that's far from the truth....Last time I checked there is no shortage of poverty, crime disenfranchisement , and all the ills blacks are supposedly fleeing from up North and out West....Annually the region with the most violent(read: black on black crime) cities in in good ole Dixie..I mean I have no problem with other brothers/sisters moving down here but I hope they aint suffering from some illusion that the South has become the black promise land like some are portraying...It probably would be best suited to try and fix the communities they stay in if they can but if they moving for job related reasons or cheaper housing(although that affordability of the South is highly exaggerated though I never lived elsewhere) I can understand.
Well, it is somewhat of a promised land. And how exactly is the affordability highly exaggerated? Blacks are able to move out of the projects in New York into a comfortable, single family home in a decent neighborhood down south. I wouldn't exactly call that overexaggerating the situation.

Even with all that aside, the South still stands as the root of black culture and heritage in the U.S., so I don't understand why it's so surprising that so many black folks are moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or