U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,303,223 times
Reputation: 2934

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I don't want to make this thread about me, but I've traveled extensively in the South. I've been all over Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky and northern Florida. I've met some cool people and some really ignorant people. I've also been all over the Midwest, to every Midwestern state except Kansas, Nebraska and North Dakota. I've been out west, too, to California. I've lived in three different states, which is more than many people can say. By far the most racism I've experienced has been in the South, and the most overt displays of ignorance were down south as well.

However, the reason I don't like the South isn't based on race. Instead, it's the insular mindset of some Southerners, you know, the whole Confederate flag, "The South Shall Rise Again" thing. Most Southerners are not like that, but a significant, vocal minority are. Also, I don't like the very conservative Republican politics of the region, the gun-toting mindset or the lack of emphasis and value on education (Southern states always rank the lowest in the country for K-12 schools). Also, I know this is kind of petty, but the weather down there bugs me too -- heat and humidity, no real seasons.

I understand why you and many other African-Americans (you are AA, right?) like the South, and I don't have a problem with others moving down there. Hey, someone has to live in Dixie! It just kind of bugs me how the Midwest always gets overlooked in these discussions, or how people think the South is THE place for blacks, when the reality is African-Americans (and Whites, Hispanics, etc.) are doing well in all four regions.
Well I have lived BY choice in both.I could go on about how in the North people want to appear educated and progressive yet hide behind so called liberal agendas even when it hurts people who have been traditionally on the downside of society.Making policies that do no more than appeasing those who feel bad but when it actually comes to true integration the churches are still mostly segregated on Sunday,neighborhoods are based on ethnicity,nationality and race,and if we must talk about education being superior in the North(no problem with that statement overall)but if you look at the achievement gap between whites and blacks,overall its significantly wider than in the South.Why are black students lagging further behind their white counterparts in the North in education than in the South?Why are blacks graduating at a much higher percentage form High School than in the South than the North?Some of the wealthiest black communities are in Southern cities.Poverty rate for blacks is worse in many Northern cities.Why is that?

http://diversitydata.sph.harvard.edu...rgn=None&cat=4

Sometimes you cannot see the forest for the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 PM
 
314 posts, read 643,274 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Well, it is somewhat of a promised land. And how exactly is the affordability highly exaggerated? Blacks are able to move out of the projects in New York into a comfortable, single family home in a decent neighborhood down south. I wouldn't exactly call that overexaggerating the situation.

Even with all that aside, the South still stands as the root of black culture and heritage in the U.S., so I don't understand why it's so surprising that so many black folks are moving here.
Promised land?You should have the taste slapped out your mouth 4 that tomfoolishness....A black promised land wouldn't be so violent or have so many of it's people uneducated and in abject poverty..Just cause a few uppidity negros are doing good Down South don't make it an paradise for African Americans by any means...There are small wealthy black populations in all regions AAs are found.

As far affordability It's all relative..things cost more in big Northern cities cause they make more money(even the poor) in comparison to the South..I don't even stay in a major city in the South but rents/prices are high for decent housing in good neighborhoods down here just like anywhere else I imagine.

Assuming they don't find a better job down South unless that New York family is put in some of the better section 8 housing(which they could've applied for back in NY) it's more than likely they are poor and will end up in a project or poor hood down South..this is common sense..

Blacks American culture is similar but has several branches in all regions blacks are found...Southern black culture isn't the root of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 3,505,263 times
Reputation: 1526
Not to veer off topic, but with the success all Southern and Pro-Southern blacks claim is happening in their region, I would like to compare the success and quality of life between blacks who relocated to the South and blacks who have relocated within the Western States like Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. I know a lot of blacks who resemble and reflect the Southern culture (and one who reflects the Midwestern culture), but what about blacks who identify with the West We don't count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,579,296 times
Reputation: 3235
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Not to veer off topic, but with the success all Southern and Pro-Southern blacks claim is happening in their region, I would like to compare the success and quality of life between blacks who relocated to the South and blacks who have relocated within the Western States like Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. I know a lot of blacks who resemble and reflect the Southern culture (and one who reflects the Midwestern culture), but what about blacks who identify with the West We don't count?
As I said, people tend to forget about regions other than the South, Philly/NYC and eastern Midwest when talking about blacks. The West and Great Plains get left out entirely. One positive thing about the non-California West (I'll throw in the Great Plains states like Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota and western Minnesota as well) is that blacks -- and minorities in general -- tend to be more assimilated, mainstreamed and non-traditional. There's less of a sharp divide between black and white culture in this part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,593,086 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Promised land?You should have the taste slapped out your mouth 4 that tomfoolishness....A black promised land wouldn't be so violent or have so many of it's people uneducated and in abject poverty..Just cause a few uppidity negros are doing good Down South don't make it an paradise for African Americans by any means...There are small wealthy black populations in all regions AAs are found.
Someone like yourself who uses such poor grammar and showcases bad spelling skills shouldn't fly in anyone's face about education.

In 2010, of the top 30 cities with the highest crime rate, only 6 southern cities were on the list:
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

In 2007, of the 10 poorest cities in the country, only 2 were located in the South:
Richest and Poorest Cities in America - DCJobSource.com

Top 10 Poorest Cities In The USA (Is Your City On The List?) Hip-Hop Wired: Keeping You Informed With The Latest on Hip-Hop Culture, Rappers, Hip Hop News, Rap and Entertainment News, Black Politics, Video Vixens, Music Reviews and Urban Lifestyle&

Quote:
As far affordability It's all relative..things cost more in big Northern cities cause they make more money(even the poor) in comparison to the South..I don't even stay in a major city in the South but rents/prices are high for decent housing in good neighborhoods down here just like anywhere else I imagine.
What is "high" to you? Because cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are very affordable by most people's opinions.

Quote:
Blacks American culture is similar but has several branches in all regions blacks are found...Southern black culture isn't the root of anything.
Yes it is. Even black music got its start in the south. From jazz to the slave spirituals. During the 20th century migrations of blacks moving out west and up north, they took those influences from the south with them. Yes, every region contributes but we as a people, as former slaves, are rooted in the south. The bulk of historically black colleges and universities are located where? The South.

More than half the population of blacks in this country live in the south, and that number is only growing. If this doesn't show where our roots are, I don't know what would.

To be honest, you sound like a hater.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,181,430 times
Reputation: 5707
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Not to veer off topic, but with the success all Southern and Pro-Southern blacks claim is happening in their region, I would like to compare the success and quality of life between blacks who relocated to the South and blacks who have relocated within the Western States like Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado. I know a lot of blacks who resemble and reflect the Southern culture (and one who reflects the Midwestern culture), but what about blacks who identify with the West We don't count?
I'm sure all 50 of them are doing well....

On a serious note, no one is downing any other region as a place where Black people could prosper. Black people can (and do) do very well from themselves in a lot of places. But the fact remains that the South is the number one destination for such. Facts are facts.

Last edited by waronxmas; 02-15-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,181,430 times
Reputation: 5707
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I don't want to make this thread about me, but I've traveled extensively in the South. I've been all over Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky and northern Florida. I've met some cool people and some really ignorant people. I've also been all over the Midwest, to every Midwestern state except Kansas, Nebraska and North Dakota. I've been out west, too, to California. I've lived in three different states, which is more than many people can say. By far the most racism I've experienced has been in the South, and the most overt displays of ignorance were down south as well.

However, the reason I don't like the South isn't based on race. Instead, it's the insular mindset of some Southerners, you know, the whole Confederate flag, "The South Shall Rise Again" thing. Most Southerners are not like that, but a significant, vocal minority are. Also, I don't like the very conservative Republican politics of the region, the gun-toting mindset or the lack of emphasis and value on education (Southern states always rank the lowest in the country for K-12 schools). Also, I know this is kind of petty, but the weather down there bugs me too -- heat and humidity, no real seasons.

I understand why you and many other African-Americans (you are AA, right?) like the South, and I don't have a problem with others moving down there. Hey, someone has to live in Dixie! It just kind of bugs me how the Midwest always gets overlooked in these discussions, or how people think the South is THE place for blacks, when the reality is African-Americans (and Whites, Hispanics, etc.) are doing well in all four regions.
The Midwest isn't being overlooked, it's just simply not where growth is happening now. Merely saying it's a nice place (it is for the most part) for African-Americans does nothing to change that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
265 posts, read 261,929 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I guess the reason it bothers me is that it's self-segregationist - blacks all moving to one place instead of integrating into the larger society, like in Canada (yes, I know Canada has a much smaller black population). Also, I know blacks aren't the only people to self-segregate -- every group has done it at some point, it's the American way, sadly.
How is it "self-segregationist" for a large contingent of African Americans to be moving to the South when there is a large contingent of Americans of every race and ethnicity moving to the South? That makes no sense. African Americans are part and parcel of the national trend. If we were truly being self-segregationist, then we'd be flocking to New England or something. And primarily, African Americans are moving to the South for the same reason as everybody else: $$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
 
56,752 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Reputation: 12552
To clear some things up, Blacks have always been doing good in the South to some degree due to the basis of Black ownership, businesses and institutions in a higher volume than other regions. People seem to forget that the percentage of Black folks in the US has been no less than 50% of said group has lived in the South. Meaning, at least half of the country's Black population has lived in the South.

Also, what people forget is that the first HBCU's were in Pennsylvania and Ohio, not the south. Cheyney State just outside of Philadelphia is viewed as the first HBCU(1837), Lincoln University also outside of Philadelphia was the second and Wilberforce near Dayton, I believe, was the third.

Slavery also occurred in the Northeast and an example of this that I always give is that NY abolished slavery on July 4th 1827. Crispus Attacks, who some credit with starting the Boston Massacre, was a slave in Massachusetts. Wall Street was built by NY slaves. Paul Cuffee was of Ashanti and Native American descent and was born in MA in 1759 and was a businessman and abolitionist. So, You could really say that African roots run deep up and down the Atlantic coast in the US(and even into Canada as the first free Black community in North America was Birchtown in Nova Scotia in 1783. Same community had first race riot in North America as well).

Yes, there are Black folks doing good everywhere, but we have to put into proper perspective that due to socio-historical and economic reasons, Southern metros are going to be where much of the Black middle class is going to live. There are still plenty of poorer Black folks in rural and small towns in the South and in urban areas in other region based upon residential concentration and demographics. We just have to keep in mind that there is some balance to this and that even in other regions, there are plenty of middle class neighborhoods with above average to predominately Black residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
 
314 posts, read 643,274 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Someone like yourself who uses such poor grammar and showcases bad spelling skills shouldn't fly in anyone's face about education.

In 2010, of the top 30 cities with the highest crime rate, only 6 southern cities were on the list:
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

In 2007, of the 10 poorest cities in the country, only 2 were located in the South:
Richest and Poorest Cities in America - DCJobSource.com

Top 10 Poorest Cities In The USA (Is Your City On The List?) Hip-Hop Wired: Keeping You Informed With The Latest on Hip-Hop Culture, Rappers, Hip Hop News, Rap and Entertainment News, Black Politics, Video Vixens, Music Reviews and Urban Lifestyle&

What is "high" to you? Because cities like Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are very affordable by most people's opinions.


Yes it is. Even black music got its start in the south. From jazz to the slave spirituals. During the 20th century migrations of blacks moving out west and up north, they took those influences from the south with them. Yes, every region contributes but we as a people, as former slaves, are rooted in the south. The bulk of historically black colleges and universities are located where? The South.

More than half the population of blacks in this country live in the south, and that number is only growing. If this doesn't show where our roots are, I don't know what would.

To be honest, you sound like a hater.
Well Poindexter...this is a public forum not a term paper i'm typing so excuse me if my English isn't up to your standards or better yet blame it on the poor public education I received in the South

-I was talking about violent and crime that targets blacks in particular...That chart is irrelevant since it includes petty crime like theft or loitering which can inflate cities' crime rate...Judging crime exclusive by black on black assaults or homicides i'm sure the South would have more than half of the top 30 since most major Southern cities(including socalled meccas like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte,etc) have an staggering and disproportionate black homicide rates.


-You should look at the latest stats..s..9 out of 10 of the poorest states in the country are found in the South.
America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010


-homes that cost multi hundreds of thousands are out of the budget of most AAs...There is no shortage of those in the South...There are more affordable options but the quality deprecates the cheaper the home is and modest income blacks in the South have some of the worst housing in the country..

-yeah yeah yeah...i'm aware of all that ..Outside of the negative after effects we have yet to still recover from slavery in the South it has little to nothing to do with our culture in todays South muchless blacks in other regions...The only thing Southern slave spirituals may have influenced is black gospel music..Hip Hop which is probably todays most dominate black musical culture has nothing to do with Southern origin...The fact that most blacks live in the South doesn't mean we have some affection or bond with the region..It just so happen were we were born and due to blacks being the least likely to move from region to region mostly due to poverty that's where we stay..If most blacks in the South had the means and knew moving to Mexico would provide better opportunities that's what they'd do... Contrary to what most of you Confederate flag waving bammas suggest most black Southerners don't have any allegiance or as passionate for this region but reside here as a matter of purely circumstance.Our roots go much deeper than slavery in the South but that's another argument.

Nah I was born and bred in the South...I'm a realist

Last edited by brother's keeper; 02-16-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top