U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 09:52 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,591,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Well Poindexter...this is a public forum not a term paper i'm typing so excuse me if my English isn't up to your standards or better yet blame it on the poor public education I received in the South

-I was talking about violent and crime that targets blacks in particular...That chart is irrelevant since it includes petty crime like theft or loitering which can inflate cities' crime rate...Judging crime exclusive by black on black assaults or homicides i'm sure the South would have more than half of the top 30 since most major Southern cities(including socalled meccas like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte,etc) have an staggering and disproportionate black homicide rates.

-You should look at the latest stats..s..9 out of 10 of the poorest states in the country are found in the South.
America's wealthiest (and poorest) states - Sep. 16, 2010

-homes that cost multi hundreds of thousands are out of the budget of most AAs...There is no shortage of those in the South...There are more affordable options but the quality deprecates the cheaper the home is and modest income blacks in the South have some of the worst housing in the country..

-yeah yeah yeah...i'm aware of all that ..Outside of the negative after effects we have yet to still recover from slavery in the South it has little to nothing to do with our culture in todays South muchless blacks in other regions...The only thing Southern slave spirituals may have influenced is black gospel music..Hip Hop which is probably todays most dominate black musical culture has nothing to do with Southern origin...The fact that most blacks live in the South doesn't mean we have some affection or bond with the region..It just so happen were we were born and due to blacks being the least likely to move from region to region mostly due to poverty that's where we stay..If most blacks in the South had the means and knew moving to Mexico would provide better opportunities that's what they'd do... Contrary to what most of you Confederate flag waving bammas suggest most black Southerners don't have any allegiance or as passionate for this region but reside here as a matter of purely circumstance.Our roots go much deeper than slavery in the South but that's another argument.

Nah I was born and bred in the South...I'm a realist
Speak for yourself, man. Most of us blacks who are from the South are proud to call ourselves southerners. I don't know where you live or what kind of treatment you've been subjected to, but you certainly don't represent the majority. I'm not saying that southern blacks would never leave for better opportunities, but that doesn't mean we don't love our home. So again, please speak for yourself.

And okay realist, someone must have lied to you when they told you that crime and poverty was so much better up north and out west. Turning around and showing me states with high poverty rates doesn't disprove anything, as we know about the issue of rural poverty (that plagues both blacks and whites). But blacks aren't moving down here to rural areas, they're moving to cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, etc. where there are large black middle class communities and plenty of great opportunities. And no, they aren't "uppity negroes" as your insult suggests. With crime, yes there are plenty of southern cities with high rates, but they are in no way unique in that regard. Cities in New Jersey, Michigan, Ohio, and places like Baltimore, MD and Richmond, CA remain among some of the most murderous and drug-infested cities in our nation.

You can twist it anyway you like, but the fact remains that the south is still incredibly affordable, and people are moving here and doing much better than they were back home. I grew up in a modest income household, and when I was a kid we had the opportunity to move into a brand new, quality home in a decent neighborhood. For the little money my folks had with such a large family, we actually had a pretty good childhood. The same is being done with lower income black families all over the region.

As far as the music and the culture goes, you really need to brush up on your history. Hip-hop drew influences from jazz and the blues, which originated in the south. Remember James Brown (from Georgia)? They still call him "the first rapper". The South is where we as a people saw the beginnings of our culture. That people have lost respect for that fact is truly saddening.

If you've got something against the south, then fine, but that's your personal issue. Fact of the matter is, black folks are making better lives for themselves down south...your denial doesn't change that fact.

Last edited by AlGreen; 02-16-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM

314 posts, read 643,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Speak for yourself, man. Most of us blacks who are from the South are proud to call ourselves southerners. I don't know where you live or what kind of treatment you've been subjected to, but you certainly don't represent the majority. I'm not saying that southern blacks would never leave for better opportunities, but that doesn't mean we don't love our home. So again, please speak for yourself.

And okay realist, someone must have lied to you when they told you that crime and poverty was so much better up north and out west. Turning around and showing me states with high poverty rates doesn't disprove anything, as we know about the issue of rural poverty (that plagues both blacks and whites). But blacks aren't moving down here to rural areas, they're moving to cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham, etc. where there are large black middle class communities and plenty of great opportunities. And no, they aren't "uppity negroes" as your insult suggests. With crime, yes there are plenty of southern cities with high rates, but they are in no way unique in that regard. Cities in New Jersey, Michigan, Ohio, and places like Baltimore, MD and Richmond, CA remain among some of the most murderous and drug-infested cities in our nation.

You can twist it anyway you like, but the fact remains that the south is still incredibly affordable, and people are moving here and doing much better than they were back home. I grew up in a modest income household, and when I was a kid we had the opportunity to move into a brand new, quality home in a decent neighborhood. For the little money my folks had with such a large family, we actually had a pretty good childhood. The same is being done with lower income black families all over the region.

As far as the music and the culture goes, you really need to brush up on your history. Hip-hop drew influences from jazz and the blues, which originated in the south. Remember James Brown (from Georgia)? They still call him "the first rapper". The South is where we as a people saw the beginnings of our culture. That people have lost respect for that fact is truly saddening.

If you've got something against the south, then fine, but that's your personal issue. Fact of the matter is, black folks are making better lives for themselves down south...your denial doesn't change that fact.
Nah..breh...My views are closer to the consensus of the average black Southerner whether or not you accept it.....Some blacks may have hometown pride/neighborhood pride but as far as Southern pride as a whole region that's a good ole boy redneck thing not so much black..I've yet to see blacks besides rappers whom boast of their Southern heritage and that was only a gimmick to sell records more so than actual Southern pride..In the real world blacks in the South are proud of black culture more so than Southern..The vast majority of us aren't into Nascar, country music, or Confederacy history which are all things associated with the Southern pride..

I never said crime and poverty was so much better in the North..What I stated was crime and poverty in the South was very comparable to man of the Northern cities blacks are fleeing from and thus those issues shouldn't be reasons to migrate to the South...All those Southern cities you mentioned have their share of poverty which disproportionately affects African Americans..I consider Baltimore Southern btw...Your situation is the exception not the norm...Stop selling these Northern brothers/sisters dreams..The South is no blackman's heavan.

Hip Hop may have drew influences from past black music genres but it stands on it's own as a separate artform whom's roots are predominantly a culture created by Northern African American, Carribean and Latino youth in NYC...The South is were the root of African Americans slave mentalities come from..Not exactly something to be proud of.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM

7,909 posts, read 12,178,006 times
Quote:
Nah..breh...My views are closer to the consensus of the average black Southerner whether or not you accept it.....Some blacks may have hometown pride/neighborhood pride but as far as Southern pride as a whole region that's a good ole boy redneck thing not so much black..I've yet to see blacks besides rappers whom boast of their Southern heritage and that was only a gimmick to sell records more so than actual Southern pride..In the real world blacks in the South are proud of black culture more so than Southern..The vast majority of us aren't into Nascar, country music, or Confederacy history which are all things associated with the Southern pride..f.
You are aware that is but only one aspect of the broader Southern culture relegated to a single subgroup, not it's totality, right?

That's like saying "Northern" culture is defined merely by guidos.

Also, those things bolded above are rarely celebrated in any of the big cities where most black folks in the South now reside. Not by the white folks by and large and definitely not by the millions of Latinos and Asians.

You should really broaden your knowledge.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,997,010 times
Quote:
Nah..breh...My views are closer to the consensus of the average black Southerner whether or not you accept it.....Some blacks may have hometown pride/neighborhood pride but as far as Southern pride as a whole region that's a good ole boy redneck thing not so much black..I've yet to see blacks besides rappers whom boast of their Southern heritage and that was only a gimmick to sell records more so than actual Southern pride..In the real world blacks in the South are proud of black culture more so than Southern..The vast majority of us aren't into Nascar, country music, or Confederacy history which are all things associated with the Southern pride..

I never said crime and poverty was so much better in the North..What I stated was crime and poverty in the South was very comparable to man of the Northern cities blacks are fleeing from and thus those issues shouldn't be reasons to migrate to the South...All those Southern cities you mentioned have their share of poverty which disproportionately affects African Americans..I consider Baltimore Southern btw...Your situation is the exception not the norm...Stop selling these Northern brothers/sisters dreams..The South is no blackman's heavan.

Hip Hop may have drew influences from past black music genres but it stands on it's own as a separate artform whom's roots are predominantly a culture created by Northern African American, Carribean and Latino youth in NYC...The South is were the root of African Americans slave mentalities come from..Not exactly something to be proud of.
That’s not true at all. “Southern Culture” is celebrated by many aspects of the black community, in the North and South. Look at all the so called Soul Food aka “Southern” restaurants blacks frequent. Places in the North like...

Delta's: deltas_logo_movie
And Sylvia's: Sylvia's - Queen of Soul Food

Also what about HBCU’s? Tell me blacks in the North and South don’t champion institutions like NC A&T (Aggie Pride) or Morehouse, or Spellman or the legions of other black schools in the South.

I’ll also never forget the story of Wesley Autrey, the subway hero from New York when he proudly said….”And you know, that really, really touched me, because, you know, every day I walked the streets, and I see strangers and, you know, people just show me so much, so much love. And I see a change in New York. I see a change in New Yorkers' attitude, because I'm from the South, you know. We open our doors to you, you know what I mean? And I see people changing, and I see people helping each other."

Story: American Rhetoric: Wesley Autrey - CNN Heroes Everyday Hero Award Acceptance

I think if "you" ask most southern blacks, transplants or natives, they'll tell you they're proud to be called Southerners.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,178,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
That’s not true at all. “Southern Culture” is celebrated by many aspects of the black community, in the North and South. Look at all the so called Soul Food aka “Southern” restaurants blacks frequent. Places in the North like...

Also what about HBCU’s? Tell me blacks in the North and South don’t champion institutions like NC A&T (Aggie Pride) or Morehouse, or Spellman or the legions of other black schools in the South.

I’ll also never forget the story of Wesley Autrey, the subway hero from New York when he proudly said….”And you know, that really, really touched me, because, you know, every day I walked the streets, and I see strangers and, you know, people just show me so much, so much love. And I see a change in New York. I see a change in New Yorkers' attitude, because I'm from the South, you know. We open our doors to you, you know what I mean? And I see people changing, and I see people helping each other."

Story: American Rhetoric: Wesley Autrey - CNN Heroes Everyday Hero Award Acceptance

I think if "you" ask most southern blacks, transplants or natives, they'll tell you they're proud to be called Southerners.
Can't rep you, but totally agree. The idea that black Southerners aren't proud to be called Southerners is bizarre. This is our land too and all the toothless racist hicks in the world could never make me think differently. I mean, do they not understand why it is black people stood up to Jim Crow? It wasn't just for show...

Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,591,000 times
Quote:
You seem to be speaking of that which is generally associated with white southerners. Not blacks. Southern blacks have our own culture that is celebrated in the region: soul food (as another poster noted), the southern black church, southern gospel/quartet singers, our HBCUs, black college football games, step shows, battle of the bands, jazz festivals, summer cookouts/fish fries, etc....many of these things (amongst others), that are either unique to the south or originated here that we are proud of.

Quote:

There would be no hip-hop without the jazz, blues, and soul music that came out the south. Period. Denying that won't make it less true.

But now I see what the issue is. You're salty about something. You hate the South for whatever reason and are pretty much just talking out of your neck and dismissing facts out of spite. What happened? Did one of our beautiful southern dimes reject you and call you out or something? Or are you just agitated that even you haven't been able to find success in one of the easiest places to obtain it? If you hate it here so much, LEAVE. No need to rain on everyone else's parade. Delta is ready when you are.

But anyway, I told myself that I'm not wasting time with posters like you anymore. Think whatever you want....as you were

Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You are aware that is but only one aspect of the broader Southern culture relegated to a single subgroup, not it's totality, right?

That's like saying "Northern" culture is defined merely by guidos.

Also, those things bolded above are rarely celebrated in any of the big cities where most black folks in the South now reside. Not by the white folks by and large and definitely not by the millions of Latinos and Asians.

You should really broaden your knowledge.
And that's why I say things that are deemed Southern culture aren't regional at all and just black culture.

Uh...Yeah many native Southern whites in big cities are into all those things...Atlanta's posterboy for all things redneck Jeff Foxwoth comes to mind.

Latinos and Asians even born here are generally viewed as foreigners...not real Southerners.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:42 PM

24,757 posts, read 33,990,829 times
Quote:
And that's why I say things that are deemed Southern culture aren't regional at all and just black culture.

Uh...Yeah many native Southern whites in big cities are into all those things...Atlanta's posterboy for all things redneck Jeff Foxwoth comes to mind.

Latinos and Asians even born here are generally viewed as foreigners...not real Southerners.

Even Latinos born in Texas?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post

Southern culture isn't generally celebrated by blacks..African American culture is..there's a difference...Again soul food is black food not Southern...Blackfolks make soul food all over the country not just the South.

HBCUs are associated with the South but again not necessarily Southern..There are HBCUs up North too..Even if all were found in the South that doesn't make them culturally Southern.

Interesting qoute but one blackman contrasting New Yorkers perceived rudeness in comparison to his upbringing in the South doesn't= most African Americans raised in Dixie being proud Southerners.

I disagree...Blacks raised in the South don't typically hold that as a badge of honor like Southern bred whitefolk..

Old 02-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
You seem to be speaking of that which is generally associated with white southerners. Not blacks. Southern blacks have our own culture that is celebrated in the region: soul food (as another poster noted), the southern black church, southern gospel/quartet singers, our HBCUs, black college football games, step shows, battle of the bands, jazz festivals, summer cookouts/fish fries, etc....many of these things (amongst others), that are either unique to the south or originated here that we are proud of.

There would be no hip-hop without the jazz, blues, and soul music that came out the south. Period. Denying that won't make it less true.

But now I see what the issue is. You're salty about something. You hate the South for whatever reason and are pretty much just talking out of your neck and dismissing facts out of spite. What happened? Did one of our beautiful southern dimes reject you and call you out or something? Or are you just agitated that even you haven't been able to find success in one of the easiest places to obtain it? If you hate it here so much, LEAVE. No need to rain on everyone else's parade. Delta is ready when you are.

But anyway, I told myself that I'm not wasting time with posters like you anymore. Think whatever you want....as you were

My point exactly....Blacks in the South have our own black culture which is more similar to the black culture in other regions than any non black Southern culture in the South...Alot of those things are black culture in general that transcends region...Some practices originating in the South means nothing cause there is black culture originated outside the South that we have adopted into our own black culture and vice versa.

Jazz, blues are black musical influences not purely Southern...New York, Detroit, Philly and Chicago among other non Southern locatiosn were some of the biggest early jazz/blues/soul music hotbeds...Uh hip hop started with a simple beat and a rhyme..non of which sounds needed jazz or blues to be create the sound..If anything hip hop is more influenced by reggae by way of Africa.

Nah...It aint that serious breh.Unlike you I like most AAs don't have any emotional attachment to a region I reside in due to circumstances beyond my control..I want sugar coat or hype the South just cause I live here..The South don't care about me or your black ass...You really need to grow up and snap out out of your dillusion..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or