U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 08:12 PM

314 posts, read 643,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
This doesn't make sense. You're essentially saying that these things originating in the South is irrelevant, but that's the very thing that we're debating. These things exist in other regions of the country because they were imported there by Blacks when they began moving there via the Great Migration. This is a well-known fact which seems to be lost on you, which is puzzling.
The point that you are missing is Afro American culture is much bigger than region and we adopt things from one another..Many Southern blacks are into hip hop these days but I doubt you would say that's Northeastern culture...Radical Black Militancy and Afrocentricity started in the West Coast but I doubt you would say that's Western culture...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
Southern whites created most of the "soul food" traditions. Blacks just brought it north and gave it the "soul food" name. It's not an exclusively black thing.

Also, what many consider "black culture" is Southern in origin. Black Canadians, as well as black natives of places like Greater Minnesota (MN outside of the Twin Cities), Michigan's U.P., North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, etc., are culturally indistinguishable from their white neighbors. Many black Americans have a distinct culture because they came from segregated areas of the South where that culture arose.

Today you can get Southern food anywhere. They sell sweet tea at Subway here in Marshall, MN, as well as in all the local convenience stores. You can even buy collard greens, turkey necks and cornbread mix up here if you wish. I'm sure you can find pickled herring, lutefisk and lefse (mmmmmm . . .) at a Publix in Atlanta.

I'm not trying to defend the South -- personally, I can't stand the place. My point is, this is the 21st century. Regional and racial differences in America are slowly disappearing -- we're all becoming one people.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,133,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Well..I didn't read all of that 1st essay you wrote but nah...most of those entries you mentioned are soul food..Just cause Southern whites adopted some of our recipes doesn't make it Southern...no more than whites doing Jazz makes it an Caucasian art form.
Ok podner, have it your way.

Guarantee you though? And I'll bet the damn cotton crop on it. Put down ten black and ten white Southerners next to what you call "soul food", blind-fold them? And they (we) would all eat it up and never once know it as anything other than just plain comfort food. And probably a Blessing said beforehand...

It's Southern. As Southern as Southern can get.

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-18-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:51 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,712,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Southern whites created most of the "soul food" traditions. Blacks just brought it north and gave it the "soul food" name. It's not an exclusively black thing.
Where did you get that from????

Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,874,648 times
Quote:
Soul food is southern. Black culture -- at least what most people think of as black culture -- is Southern. There are (black) people from Michigan who sound like they're from the Deep South. Give it a rest. If you don't like the South (I can't blame you for that) then move north.
biggest bs i ever heard in my life. You learn in school that the styles of soul fool were made by african americans since slavery. wth are you talking about?

Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
I never learned that in school, and yes, soul food is, at it's core, southern. I am not pro-south by the way. Not at all. However, facts are facts.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,874,648 times
Quote:
I never learned that in school, and yes, soul food is, at it's core, southern. I am not pro-south by the way. Not at all. However, facts are facts.
sorry not facts

Old 02-18-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:

Also, what many consider "black culture" is Southern in origin. Black Canadians, as well as black natives of places like Greater Minnesota (MN outside of the Twin Cities), Michigan's U.P., North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, etc., are culturally indistinguishable from their white neighbors. Many black Americans have a distinct culture because they came from segregated areas of the South where that culture arose.

Today you can get Southern food anywhere. They sell sweet tea at Subway here in Marshall, MN, as well as in all the local convenience stores. You can even buy collard greens, turkey necks and cornbread mix up here if you wish. I'm sure you can find pickled herring, lutefisk and lefse (mmmmmm . . .) at a Publix in Atlanta.

I'm not trying to defend the South -- personally, I can't stand the place. My point is, this is the 21st century. Regional and racial differences in America are slowly disappearing -- we're all becoming one people.

I don't know what you mean by soul food traditions but Afro Americans created soul food...It's attributed to us for a reason..If anything Southern whites whom adopted some of our soul food dishes just made it mainstream/digestible to the rest of white America..

Old 02-18-2011, 11:36 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,164,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I don't know what you mean by soul food traditions but Afro Americans created soul food...It's synonymous with us for a reason..If anything Southern whites whom adopted some of our soul food dishes just made it mainstream/digestible to the rest of white America..
thats what elvis did with black music

Old 02-18-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok podner, have it your way.

Guarantee you though? And I'll bet the damn cotton crop on it. Put down ten black and ten white Southerners next to what you call "soul food", blind-fold them? And they (we) would all eat it up and never once know it as anything other than just plain comfort food. And probably a Blessing said beforehand...

It's Southern. As Southern as Southern can get.
And I bet you your cousin/wife that that comfort food is just a PC whitewashed term for soul food made by racist good ol boys.

Nah...it's international
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or