U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 PM

24,757 posts, read 34,000,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think the poster is confusing all latins with mexicans. I have found blacks and latins to coexist much better in the east than they do in the west

It's a cultural/ethnic thing. First of all, Latins in the East tend to be Puerto Rican or Dominican or Cuban or Panamanian, and all of those groups have strong African heritage. Also, many Latino groups, especially Puerto Ricans, as they become Americanized, become African Americanized as well. In California and other Western states, Latinos tend to be of Mexican origin, and there is no large black population or strong Afro-Mexican heritage to draw these groups together.

In many ways, Spanish-speaking Puerto Ricans or other Caribbean Latinos have more in common (race) with African Americans than they do Mexicans (language).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,140,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's a cultural/ethnic thing. First of all, Latins in the East tend to be Puerto Rican or Dominican or Cuban or Panamanian, and all of those groups have strong African heritage. Also, many Latino groups, especially Puerto Ricans, as they become Americanized, become African Americanized as well. In California and other Western states, Latinos tend to be of Mexican origin, and there is no large black population or strong Afro-Mexican heritage to draw these groups together.

In many ways, Spanish-speaking Puerto Ricans or other Caribbean Latinos have more in common (race) with African Americans than they do Mexicans (language).
A lot of truth here. But it makes me wonder what makes Cali so different from Texas. The numbers of AA's and Mexicans between the two states is very similar (except Texas has more blacks than Cali and slightly less Mexicans). From what I've observed the AA-Mex relations here aren't near as hostile as what I'm hearing about in Cali. We all seem to get along pretty well in my experience.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM

18,654 posts, read 27,097,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
A lot of truth here. But it makes me wonder what makes Cali so different from Texas. The numbers of AA's and Mexicans between the two states is very similar (except Texas has more blacks than Cali and slightly less Mexicans). From what I've observed the AA-Mex relations here aren't near as hostile as what I'm hearing about in Cali. We all seem to get along pretty well in my experience.
It's in the middle in Chicago. While it's not as hostile as California. It is still very segregated and can get a little violent due to the gang culture that is here. At least from the stories I've been told by my fam.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 PM

24,757 posts, read 34,000,534 times
Quote:
Not sure, having lived on the East and West coasts, but never in Texas, but maybe the gang cultures (AA and Latins) in LA have caused tensions between and within ethnic groups to be higher than most anywhere in the USA.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,872,779 times
wasn't their articles before claiming Philadelphia was also loosing blacks from their population? same as Baltimore also? o yea and miami to. hmmmmmm

Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
Mexican Mafia......
not for the bay though.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow Houston and Dallas both gained about 180K

LA lost 70K

edit:
SF and SD lost too, what is up with Cali losing all these black people?
isnt cali loosing everyone? well mainly white and black. But i think only Asians and Hispanics are growing out their.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
I know latinos hate blacks in LA, it's an explanation..Many blacks are low-income workers, maybe cali cities are too expensive for them ?

But yeah, blacks are mostly in the South, and this part will grow because they migrate there from other parts of the country + African immigrants (they love Georgia, Texas is an appreciated destination too) + Haitian immigrants are growing very fast in Florida)

wow you just a very broad generalization lol.(LATINOS HATE BLACKS IN L.A) LOL.

my Haitian people taking over. jk

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I have a few friends in LA and it is true that Mexicans cannot stand blacks there. One of my friends moved from Chicago to Los Angeles and he agrees. It's pretty bad.
i believe its very overrated. black males with Latina women is very easy to find in l.a

Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
This. I hear the Aryan Brotherhood and the Mexican Mafia have an alliance against the Black Guerilla Family out there and it's getting pretty nasty.
once you bring up the aryan brotherhood then you pretty much know that the so called race thing in cali os overrated.

aryan brotherhood = all talk.

also aryan brother hood hate the Mexicans just as much as blacks. The only reason they are allied with them is because if you want drugs you need to go to the Mexicans in cali.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or