U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 AM

265 posts, read 100,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
Blacks culture is found wherever we are concentrated all over the country....One region isn't the standard for black culture no more than a region can define whites, Asians, Hispanics or any other race's culture.
But you're missing something essential here, IMO: in the deep South, Blacks are found practically all over, in both the rural and urban areas. In other regions of the country, Blacks are just basically confined to the larger cities. This is why our cultural footprint is so large throughout the South compared to the North and why we were able to import aspects of our Southern-rooted culture to other areas of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 AM

5,992 posts, read 6,976,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
But you're missing something essential here, IMO: in the deep South, Blacks are found practically all over, in both the rural and urban areas. In other regions of the country, Blacks are just basically confined to the larger cities. This is why our cultural footprint is so large throughout the South compared to the North and why we were able to import aspects of our Southern-rooted culture to other areas of the country.
There are plenty of blacks living in rural Minnesota and Michigan, including in towns like Pipestone, MN, Marshall, MN, Sioux Falls, SD and Vandalia, MI. The percentages aren't as high but there are blacks living in the rural Midwest and Great Plains.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,457,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
There are plenty of blacks living in rural Minnesota and Michigan, including in towns like Pipestone, MN, Marshall, MN, Sioux Falls, SD and Vandalia, MI. The percentages aren't as high but there are blacks living in the rural Midwest and Great Plains.
My hometown in Mississippi is 75% black and has a population of 13,000. The Mississippi Delta is in the middle of nowhere and is full of 90%+ black towns. It's almost not fair to make a comparison. My hometown is 5-6% Hispanic and there are a few towns like this in rural Mississippi and Alabama, but there's no way that anyone would say that there's a Hispanic cultural footprint in these areas that can be compared to that present in the Southwest.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:53 AM

30,908 posts, read 36,051,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
My hometown in Mississippi is 75% black and has a population of 13,000. The Mississippi Delta is in the middle of nowhere and is full of 90%+ black towns. It's almost not fair to make a comparison. My hometown is 5-6% Hispanic and there are a few towns like this in rural Mississippi and Alabama, but there's no way that anyone would say that there's a Hispanic cultural footprint in these areas that can be compared to that present in the Southwest.
Yes, there is a difference in terms of volume. There are quite a few small towns in NY(Upstate and Downstate) that have a decent to a good amount of Black folks in them and have for a long time, but there is a difference in terms of volume/percentage and as far as being widespread.

Keep in mind that some Northern states had slavery as well. For instance, how many people knew that NY had more slaves than Georgia at one time? Check this out: History - Hudson Valley Magazine - February 2008 - Poughkeepsie, NY

So, the cultural footprint for Black folks is primarily in the South, but many parts of Northern states have just as long of a history.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM

13,393 posts, read 14,464,926 times
Quote:
Not at the level of what you will see in the Southern states. I do believe that you will see some in the rural areas of Michigan. But again, not at the level of what you see in the Southern US. Also, plenty is relative. There are probably more Blacks in small Southern towns than the entire Black population of South Dakota.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 AM

265 posts, read 100,555 times
Quote:
Dude, give me a break. According to the Census 2000 figures, Pipestone's Black population was less than 1% and Sioux Falls's Black population was just under 3%. I don't consider that "plenty" at all. This map explains it all:

Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,065,409 times
Wow !!! My most successful thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,634,701 times
Just to stick up for TexasReb, he is very proud of his heritage but I have not seen a single post from him that in any way seems bigoted. Quite the contrary actually since he has a good knowledge about the contributions all Southerns have made to our shared cultural heritage.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

711 posts, read 584,903 times
^^^

I agree.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM

8,045 posts, read 7,169,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Just to stick up for TexasReb, he is very proud of his heritage but I have not seen a single post from him that in any way seems bigoted. Quite the contrary actually since he has a good knowledge about the contributions all Southerns have made to our shared cultural heritage.
I agree with you also.So I guess we all now should go out to start an Uncle Tom Fan page on Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.