U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,867,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Just to stick up for TexasReb, he is very proud of his heritage but I have not seen a single post from him that in any way seems bigoted. Quite the contrary actually since he has a good knowledge about the contributions all Southerns have made to our shared cultural heritage.
That's the key. We cannot begin to mend our past troubles if we don't A) recognize our history and where we came from and B) use our history as a way to help make a better future for ourselves.

There are racists and bigots all across this country, and the South certainly has its fair share...but as long as we give these bigots a voice and divide everything into white vs. black, then we will never ever get past the race issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM

52 posts, read 155,645 times
This is a touchy thread but I find it ironic that dc and Atlanta black population is exploding however the actual city center is getting whiter in a city like Atlanta that has a metro area of 5 million people you'll. Find that 73 percent of the population lives in the suburbs so the majority of this migration is occurring in the outskirts many blacks have roots in. The south and only a generation or two ago did their parents and grandparents,leave,looking for better jobs and equality. In cities like Detroit and Chicago a lot of blacks are moving to the suburbs.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,322,706 times
Black families leaving Northeast for lure of Florida and the South (http://www.flcourier.com/flnation/4490-black-families-leaving-northeast-for-lure-of-florida-and-the-south - broken link)

Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,235,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
My hometown in Mississippi is 75% black and has a population of 13,000. The Mississippi Delta is in the middle of nowhere and is full of 90%+ black towns. It's almost not fair to make a comparison. My hometown is 5-6% Hispanic and there are a few towns like this in rural Mississippi and Alabama, but there's no way that anyone would say that there's a Hispanic cultural footprint in these areas that can be compared to that present in the Southwest.
You are right! I'm from Alabama's Black Belt and that area contains 50-100% black communities. Seriously, the only time that I would see any other race in a large amount would be when we would go to Tuscaloosa.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM

56,645 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Black families leaving Northeast for lure of Florida and the South (http://www.flcourier.com/flnation/4490-black-families-leaving-northeast-for-lure-of-florida-and-the-south - broken link)
This true, but I'm also glad that the article mentioned that some Black folks are just moving to other communities in the same areas in the NE. Even in the Syracuse area, I've noticed an increase in the suburbs of Black residents, including communities that you would be hard pressed to find Black folks considering maybe even 15 years ago. So, it is also a matter of metropolitan mobility as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,438,252 times
Florida is special, this state receives many immigrants from Haiti, they have many kids overall, so the black population in Florida is pretty different, many of them having French last names (and first names for immigrants)

Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 AM

56,645 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Florida is special, this state receives many immigrants from Haiti, they have many kids overall, so the black population in Florida is pretty different, many of them having French last names (and first names for immigrants)
You could say the same for the Black communities in many Northeastern metros, as many come from the Caribbean and Africa as well. Florida does have quite a few Black people with ties to the Caribbean as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:07 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,141,979 times
My buddy is black and he comes from the Ivory Coast.....he's also a "Frenchy".

Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,201,972 times
This topic should be titled "Black People are Americans too." Whys is it surprising black people are moving south? Everyone else is doing it what makes it strange for black people to do so?

Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 AM

265 posts, read 261,694 times
It's not "strange" that Blacks are doing it, but I think what makes it newsworthy is that it represents a complete reversal of the first Great Migration when many Blacks left the South for the industrial centers of the Northeast and Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or