U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,712,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
This topic should be titled "Black People are Americans too." Whys is it surprising black people are moving south? Everyone else is doing it what makes it strange for black people to do so?
It's not exactly suprising. However, race is a very sensitive issue and we tend to dance around it.

Black populations exploded in the north starting in the 1890's. That was the urban boom. Shortly thereafter (short with respect to history, that is) the large factories and industrial plants drew even more economically disadvantaged black people from the south.

Unfortunately, racial segregation and extreme economic shifts more or less left the population adrift. No jobs meant no ability to move, which bred social nightmares over the past few generations. Despite what I think were good intentions, black people were more or less abused by politicians and fed welfare for, god, forty years? Every presidential and local campaign for decades wanted to use welfare in some form or other to "lift" the black community, but it didn't help anything. And then it was just for votes. That's even worse.

It wasn't until industry collapsed in the north that tax dollars fell, and then social services collapsed. And now an entire generation of extremely disenfranchised black people are moving back south where the jobs are. I think the only part of this situation that comes across as blatantly racist is the division of the races moving south-- there have to be as many white pepole as there are black. Unemployed, employed, whatever; the fact is that people are moving to where the jobs are. The quality of those jobs, and the relevant investment they make, is up for question.

Hopefully our fellow Americans of whatever color are able to economically and socially better themselves. That's all that matters to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM

314 posts, read 643,393 times
To say Afro Americans are supposedly so concentrated in the South I find it odd that there isn't one Southern state according to the census that has an black population of atleast 50% ...Where as Latinos are the majority or around half of the population in several states in their Western strongholds such as like New Mexico, California, and Texas if i'm not mistaken....African Americans should follow the path of the Hispanics whom turned the Southwest in their Northern Mexico and make the Southeast our Little Africa...The black migration to the South is a good start but we have to cease the black on black genocide (street violence and abortion) if we plan on maintaining a visible and strong population not just in the South but the country period.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,580,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
To say Afro Americans are supposedly so concentrated in the South I find it odd that there isn't one Southern state according to the census that has an black population of atleast 50% ...Where as Latinos are the majority or around half of the population in several states in their Western strongholds such as like New Mexico, California, and Texas if i'm not mistaken....African Americans should follow the path of the Hispanics whom turned the Southwest in their Northern Mexico and make the Southeast our Little Africa...The black migration to the South is a good start but we have to cease the black on black genocide (street violence and abortion) if we plan on maintaining a visible and strong population not just in the South but the country period.
Self-segregation is not the way. Besides, the south is definitely not for me.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 PM

56,766 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Self-segregation is not the way. Besides, the south is definitely not for me.
Not necessarily just what you said, many parts of the Northeast have deep roots in terms of Black people too. Like.I mentiomed in another post, NY had more slave than GA at one time and some of the first non Native American settlers in Upstate NY communities were former slaves or Black Revolutionary War veterans that were granted land. Heck, the first Black college graduate was born and raised in Vermont(Alexander Twilight graduated from Middlebury College in 1823). There's a possibility that the first Black mayor may have been Ned Sherman in 1851, as he was named "president" of the village of Cleveland in Upstate NY about 25 miles northeast of Syracuse. Cheyney State outside of Philadelphia was the first HBCU. Alpha Phi Alpha, the first Black frat was started in Ithaca, NY at Cornell University and 2 of the founders were Upstate NYers(one was born in Rochester and raised in Binghamton and the other was born and raised in Troy). So, there is a lot of history and African American roots in the Northeast as well and what I mentioned is just a taste.

BTW-For those that think I might be making some of this up, look up some of the info. and look up Harry Freeman(Auburn NY), Henry Bakeman(Fulton or Granby NY), Henry Arthur Callis, George Biddle Kelley, George Vashon, Bud Fowler, Edmonia Highgate, Edward Ulysses Anderson Brooks, Jermain Loguen, John W. Jones, Moses Fleetwood Walker, Henry H. Barr(Watertown, NY), Edmonia Lewis, George Schuyler, Jerome H. Holland, Fred C. Hazel, George Franklin Grant, Charles Reason, Samuel Riggold Ward, Austin Steward, Catherine Harris(Jamestown, NY), Walter E. Washington, Mary Burnett Talbert, Fannie Barrier Williams, George Crum, Alex Haley, Ruth Carol Taylor, Ernie Davis, Wilmeth Sadat-Singh, George Washington(Pulaski, NY), Joseph Martin Fugett and Joseph Russell Fugett, among others.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,998,336 times
There were discussion perviously about Nashville. Here's an interesting story that says Nashville's black population growth is lagging other Southern peer cities..

Nashville trails many Southern cities in black population rise
Sunday, March 27, 2011 at 9:05pm

"...While African-American populations in other Southern cities boomed, weaving a tale of reclamation in the New South, the story is far from the same in Nashville...“There is a perception problem, and some of it is rooted in reality,” said carr, who is African-American. “There is a diverse culture of music here, but unfortunately, it’s still not branded by the city as a diverse music culture.” Rosetta Miller-Perry, founder of the Greater Nashville Black Chamber of Commerce and publisher of the Tennessee Tribune, agreed with carr that there is a perception problem. She noted that Charlotte has a vibrant and cosmopolitan feel that attracts both young blacks and whites — and that has created a buzz in various black communities in cities nationwide...“It blew me away,” Miller-Perry, who is African-American, said of a recent visit to Charlotte. “It reminded me of Atlanta and New York...”

Full Story Nashville trails many Southern cities in black population rise | Nashville City Paper

Old 04-09-2011, 06:03 AM

515 posts, read 294,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
There were discussion perviously about Nashville. Here's an interesting story that says Nashville's black population growth is lagging other Southern peer cities..

"...While African-American populations in other Southern cities boomed, weaving a tale of reclamation in the New South, the story is far from the same in Nashville...“There is a perception problem, and some of it is rooted in reality,” said carr, who is African-American. “There is a diverse culture of music here, but unfortunately, it’s still not branded by the city as a diverse music culture.” Rosetta Miller-Perry, founder of the Greater Nashville Black Chamber of Commerce and publisher of the Tennessee Tribune, agreed with carr that there is a perception problem. She noted that Charlotte has a vibrant and cosmopolitan feel that attracts both young blacks and whites — and that has created a buzz in various black communities in cities nationwide...“It blew me away,” Miller-Perry, who is African-American, said of a recent visit to Charlotte. “It reminded me of Atlanta and New York...”

Full Story Nashville trails many Southern cities in black population rise | Nashville City Paper
Nashville had many new Hispanics and Asians, I guess it's not a bad thing

Old 04-10-2011, 11:44 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,709,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow Houston and Dallas both gained about 180K

LA lost 70K

edit:
SF and SD lost too, what is up with Cali losing all these black people?

Wow that's a huge migration of blacks into texas. You gotta wonder how they're going to deal with all the extra crime.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,505,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Wow that's a huge migration of blacks into texas. You gotta wonder how they're going to deal with all the extra crime.
And having attitudes like that with being from the North, I see why many blacks are moving to the South.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 AM

6,420 posts, read 10,880,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post

We discussed this on the Nashville forum...and none of us could figure out what the big deal was. The black population did grow, and actually increased its overall percentage of the city population (slightly). As drag said, we had a pretty large increase in our Hispanic and Asian population...so its not like the city isn't getting more diverse. I just don't get it...is there some competition to see which city can draw the largest black population? I'm just happy that we're growing.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM

350 posts, read 609,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother's keeper View Post
I seem to remember that before the Great Migration, African American made 55 % in South Carolina, Mississippi, Lousiana, Alabama and maybe other southern states but I'm not sure.

Personally I'm glad they're not only concentrated in the South but also present in the North and the West. This avoids stereotypes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or