Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:59 PM

554 posts, read 2,495,251 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am an African American teenager, and I was wondering where blacks are doing well around the country? I know that Washington D.C. and Atlanta are first and second, repectively, but where else are blacks doing good around the country?

If possible, could you include names of cities, towns, etc?

Thanks for all that respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,061,093 times
Pop over to NYC forum. Many blacks are doing mighty fine in New York and its environs. However, it is very pricey.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:37 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,715,444 times
My friends that have teens are all doing well. The ones that are out of high school are in college, most on scholarships. Their parents are professionals and instilled values and hard work in them. They all tend to be more outgoing in a positive way than their peers. We watched on tv as one friends son played football in a bowl game tonight. For those that did not have parents that cared but the kid had it in them they had teachers along the way to help keep them on track and they kept up with them and encouraged them along w/ having a good set of friends w/ good parents. One such is at a private college now on scholarship. I'm in a northeast Dallas suburb.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:41 PM

143 posts, read 870,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Hello, I am an African American teenager, and I was wondering where blacks are doing well around the country? I know that Washington D.C. and Atlanta are first and second, repectively, but where else are blacks doing good around the country?

Where did you get your facts? From what I understand Maryland (PG county) is first and New York is second. NY has a much higher cost of living and a higher raw number of upper income blacks than ATL.

In Ohio (where I live), Cleveland Heights right outside of Cleveland has to at least be one of the top 5 most wealthy areas for blacks in the nation. The medium income in Cleveland Heights is $46,731 in PG county its $49,877...But there is a higher % of blacks in Cleveland heights than PG county. (These numbers are according to 2000).

Old 12-28-2006, 10:41 PM

143 posts, read 870,799 times
Actually after googling, Prince George county, Md the medium income for a family is $63,000 and Shaker/Cleveland Heights, Ohio area its around $80,000. So actually Ohio is alot wealthier but PG county is 62% black whereas Shaker/Cleveland Heights is about 40% black...Both seem like very sucessful places for African Americans.

Last edited by vader; 12-28-2006 at 11:00 PM..

Old 12-28-2006, 11:22 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,363,697 times
I live in the DC area which as stated, is a magnet for upper class blacks. Many blacks in the DC area however I've noticed in recent years are moving to Charlotte which from what I hear has a rather sizable upper class black population. I don't know of specific names of neighborhoods or suburbs, and think it's unlikely that Charlotte has vast large majority black upper-middle class neighborhoods as there are in the DC area where places like Mitchellville in PG County are 80% black and dotted with luxury townhomes and McMansions, but there seems to be a sizable community nonetheless, and one that is growing in size.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 PM

603 posts, read 1,990,742 times
Quote:

IMO I would think that the Chicago area has as many affluent African Americans as any of the cities described thus far.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:55 PM

554 posts, read 2,495,251 times
I said DC because of PGC (most affluent county in the nation with a AA majority)
And Atlanta because of DeKalb County (one of the most affluent. I'm not sure but I think it's second)

ps; what does IMO stand for?

Last edited by CHICAGOLAND92; 12-28-2006 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: forgot to write something!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:22 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,158,281 times
Quote:
I said DC because of PGC (most affluent county in the nation with a AA majority)
And Atlanta because of DeKalb County (one of the most affluent. I'm not sure but I think it's second)

ps; what does IMO stand for?
IMO= In My Opinion.................

Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 AM

512 posts, read 1,751,109 times
I heard that some of the suburbs of Hartford, CT have upper middle class neighborhoods that are mostly black. I think Windsor, CT is the main town with that stat.

Hopefully the middle class and up will start to become more diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.