Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times

Advertisements

LOL @ the big ass Atlanta bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I also thought Chicago would have a larger number. But there are alot of blacks in Chicago suburbs.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
YES!!!!!!! We need more educated blacks in Dallas!
it's better like that

Old 01-14-2011, 09:32 AM

6,695 posts, read 9,943,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
it's better like that
LOL, some blacks in Dallas don't really care about their education. (I went to school with alot of Black people who act like that) I am trying to be one of those educated blacks.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM

314 posts, read 759,601 times
What stand out to me is the staggering number of blacks LA lost...but I guess that's to be expected when you have a people self genociding eachother in gang warfare for over 3 decades

Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 PM

46 posts, read 79,260 times
The graph with the percentages of blacks with bachelors degrees shows who really is the true black capitol of America. Washington D.C. not only has the richest per capita Black Americans but the most educated, passing San Jose which has less than 70,000 blacks in its metro area and is a niche technical market for blacks. Raleigh and Nashville are pleasant surprises both passing Atlanta in educational attainment this decade. Although Atlanta also gained in percentages of educated blacks it seems like they are receiving a lot more quantity over Quality. I know a lot of people with not even a high school degree who moved to Atlanta and Charlotte and I thought they were crazy but it seems to be the trend. On the other hand Raleigh's not that much of a surprise being that its one of D.C. cousin cities. Nashville is the real surprise gaining over five percentage points in bachelor's degree attainment amongst blacks surpassing D.C. in numerical gains.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
The graph with the percentages of blacks with bachelors degrees shows who really is the true black capitol of America. Washington D.C. not only has the richest per capita Black Americans but the most educated, passing San Jose which has less than 70,000 blacks in its metro area and is a niche technical market for blacks. Raleigh and Nashville are pleasant surprises both passing Atlanta in educational attainment this decade. Although Atlanta also gained in percentages of educated blacks it seems like they are receiving a lot more quantity over Quality. I know a lot of people with not even a high school degree who moved to Atlanta and Charlotte and I thought they were crazy but it seems to be the trend. On the other hand Raleigh's not that much of a surprise being that its one of D.C. cousin cities. Nashville is the real surprise gaining over five percentage points in bachelor's degree attainment amongst blacks surpassing D.C. in numerical gains.
I'm not surprised by Nashville considering that HBCU's Tennessee State, Fisk University and Meharry Medical are there. You also have highly regarded Vanderbilt and 4-year faith based schools like Lipscomb and Belmont there, among others. So, I'm not surprised by that at all.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I just asked a few Latino LA friends and they say thats overstated and not true.... As for blacks loving the south , idk....thats mixed....

I have a few friends in LA and it is true that Mexicans cannot stand blacks there. One of my friends moved from Chicago to Los Angeles and he agrees. It's pretty bad.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I have a few friends in LA and it is true that Mexicans cannot stand blacks there. One of my friends moved from Chicago to Los Angeles and he agrees. It's pretty bad.

I think the poster is confusing all latins with mexicans. I have found blacks and latins to coexist much better in the east than they do in the west

Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
Hmm, I suppose you didn't get the part about that figure being a percentage, not a number. Sure DC, Raleigh, and Nashville saw a larger increase in the number of it's African-American residents that have college degrees percentage wise than Atlanta. However when you consider that Atlanta gained more Black residents than all three combined, times two, then of course our percentages for that metric will be lower. We still however in that same time period increased the percentage by three percentage points.

So, while the percentage is higher for those cities, Atlanta still has the largest numerical amount of African-Americans with college degrees due to the size of our population. One by one:

In DC, about 29% of African-Americans have a college degree. That translates in to 297,062 people.

In Nashville, about 26% of African-Americans have a college degree. That translates in to 49,887 people.

In Raleigh, about 26% of African-Americans have a college degree. That translates in to 70,182 people.

And for good measure, in San Jose, about 29% of African-Americans have a college degree. That translates in to 16,349 people <---that is not a mistake.

Contrast that with Atlanta, where 24.6% of African-American residents have a college degree. That translates into 414,460 people.

So in order to surpass the number of African-Americans with a college degree in Atlanta you would need to added up all of the African-Americans with a degree in DC, San Jose, Raleigh, and Nashville...only then would you pass Atlanta by a measly 20,000 people.

Hell, there are alone more African-Americans in Atlanta with a college degree than there are black people at all education levels in Nashville (black population 197,876), Raleigh (black population 269,932) and San Jose (black population 45,126...again, not a mistake).

In other words, Atlanta not only has the quantity but the quality as well to back up it's claim as the current undisputed true capital of Black America my friend.

In other news, Atlanta gained approximately half a million new African-American residents in 9 years. And that's after most of the people who migrated here from New Orleans after Katrina (close to 100,000 people) went back home. Truly amazing.

Edit:

PS, I'm not hating on DC, Raleigh, Nashville, or San Jose. African-Americans need to keep this type of growth in education levels up in ALL cities. Congrats to those four for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.