Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,332,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Umm no you just take away history and facts like that just to support an claim and agrument thats not true and to fit one's decription to please him or her. Its not an outdated line... Thats a slap in the face to the African Americans that went through hell in that state to make become what it is today
no its a slap to the face to people who can upgrade themselves and people like you who are 50 still living in the year 1826. Truth of the matter is no1 in maryland considers themselves southern. Their culture is more with the northern then it is southern, and for the most part Maryland , dc, Richmond Virginia use the term "middle east" overall. Which makes sense. Who cares about a dixie line. How is it a slap to the face when the blacks living in those places now would slap you in the face if you called them southern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:02 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,382,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
um no.
Um your BS'ing.......

Old 02-03-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I think most folks from Maryland today would describe themselves more as northerners, as far as culture and lifestyle. Virginia & West Virginia is where it starts to change and both are gateway states to the south.
Wishful thinking from deep rooted southerners but in the real world Maryland is a Southern State and there is nothing that can be done to change it.......

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
no it isn't. upgrade yourself.
Again its BS to beLIEve that Maryland not being a Southern State......

Old 02-03-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
no its a slap to the face to people who can upgrade themselves and people like you who are 50 still living in the year 1826. Truth of the matter is no1 in maryland considers themselves southern. Their culture is more with the northern then it is southern, and for the most part Maryland , dc, Richmond Virginia use the term "middle east" overall. Which makes sense. Who cares about a dixie line. How is it a slap to the face when the blacks living in those places now would slap you in the face if you called them southern?
If we're going to go by your BS Opinion then North Carolina may as well be a Northern State too........

Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
If your going by the dixie line nothing in Delaware is the "south". That dixie line story is outdated to me.
Oh wait a minute.You ever been to Rising Sun?What about Southern Delaware?Salibury?Those areas scream South.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that one can look at those numbers from the last decade, but not extrapolate forward from it. The next decade will not be like the last. The US has had an artificial economy for at least 3 decades now and most of the booming metropolises during that time reflect that artificial growth. What I mean by that is that a large part of the economy of boom towns has been boom itself. Developers overbuilding created thousands of construction jobs and thousands of retail job the result of developing residential and commercial real estate. In other words, jobs were created for people today by building for people and companies in the future with the assumption that a 100,000 people would continue to move to the area each year.

The housing market really fueled our economy in the first decade of the 21st century. That era is over and lending standards will not be relaxed as they were for a long time, if ever again. Now that the job growth as dried up related to real estate and development, there is no more boom in places like Atlanta and the boom will not return anytime soon. The area has become so sprawled out that commutes and quality of life has decreased. Add to this is the fact that gas prices will continue to rise considerably over the next decade and sprawled out areas dependent upon auto transportation will suffer.

Meanwhile, the disadvantages of the North have hit bottom. Many of the high union wages that drove companies south has been radically reduced for new hires. There an emerging fresh water crisis around the globe and many areas will not be able to sustain much more population growth and be self sufficient in supply fresh water to its population. Meanwhile, many Northern states are blessed with the Great Lakes. The nation is also becoming more conscious of the way in which our consumer choices ultimately impact all of America and hence people are starting to buy American more. The sales and profits of US automakers has risen considerably and more importantly quality surveys are showing that American manufacturers have closed or are close to closing the quality gap.

It well known that in order for a nation to be viable, it has to have a healthy manufacturing economy or it will end up transferring wealth to other nations as the result of running trade deficits. The South benefited from the wage arbitrage between the north and the south, but with the Industrial North hammered so much the last few decades, it has had to change its ways to be more competitive….and it has. The North still has most of the Industrial infrastructure in place to benefit the most, when or if US manufacturing makes a comeback. Also, its cities are generally denser and more conducive to a world in which gas prices are 7 and 8 dollars a gallon.

I think places like Atlanta will continue to grow, but all booms eventually come to an end. The boom is over for Atlanta and much of the South East, although it will likely continue for Texas because of oil and its proximity to Mexico. However, in the future, the Canadian economy is going to become much stronger because it’s solid fiscal position and its vast amount of natural resources. Canada is one or two with trade with the US and those states that are trade routes with Canada will likely benefit from it more in the future. For example, a new bridge connecting Detroit, Michigan to Windsor, Ontario is in the planning stages. The current bridge constrains the flow of goods back and forth. It’s a 5 billion dollar project and its estimated that it will created 25,000 jobs in its construction that will take several years.
I doubt that.its delayed ,but not over.I give it 5 years.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 AM

711 posts, read 1,137,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
I don't care what they think I'm going with facts, history, my time spent there and the censues bureau.
Maryland is, overall, a northern state. It remained a union state (though the South did almost take it over) during the civil war, Maryland helped out the union throughout the civil war, particularly north of D.C. it has a more industrial based economy. However, some of the southern & eastern shore counties in the state, have traits of being a southern state, which is where the confusion comes in, St. Mary's, Calvert, and Charles counties, where tobacco was a regular industry, but has almost entirely been replaced in the past decades. The term "Mid-Atlantic" fits just right for Maryland.

Quote:
Hmmm culture and lifestyle that would make the North Carolina and Virginia blacks northern too just because they love wearing timberland boots, yankee hats, champion hoodies, and alot of urban east coast clothes, don't wear what the hip hop community calls grills, goes around using up north slang like whats up son but its not.
Since when did timberland boots, yankee hats, & hoodies consider to be a northern/east coast thing? Last time I checked, black folks from every state wear those types of clothing. I wear timberland boots, am I qualified to be a northerner? nope, I'm just too country. As for the hip hop community, some folks from the north,south,east,and west have a pair of grillz and put it on their teeth.

Quote:
Wishful thinking from deep rooted southerners but in the real world Maryland is a Southern State and there is nothing that can be done to change it.......
Nope.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:08 AM

314 posts, read 756,282 times
Quote:
Is it really that serious breh?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 AM

314 posts, read 756,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.