Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM

514 posts, read 764,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post

The nation's African-American population continued its southward migration over the past decade, shifting a large part of the black middle class from northern states to faster-growing economies of the South.Among 25 big U.S. metro areas with the largest growth in African-American population between 2000 and 2009, 16 were in the South—including Atlanta and Dallas—according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey. Among the big losers were cities in the North and West, including Detroit, Los Angeles and Cleveland.
The biggest gainer was Atlanta, a magnet for black professionals. Its metro area added about 500,000 African-Americans between the 2000 and 2009 period, and more than twice the next-largest numeric gainer, Dallas, according to an analysis of Census data by William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. Over the same period, the share of Atlanta's 25-and-over black population that had college degrees increased to 24.6% in 2009 from 21.5% in 2000.

South Draws U.S. Blacks - WSJ.com

Do you even know what the Great Migration was? Actually there were at least two. Almost all blacks have roots in the South. Now that the South has changed and industrialized they're just going back home. There's nothing more to it than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Almost all? No. Most do, but not almost all. Many African-Americans have roots in the Northeast and eastern Midwest, and that's not even factoring in the recent arrivals from Africa.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Almost all? No. Most do, but not almost all. Many African-Americans have roots in the Northeast and eastern Midwest, and that's not even factoring in the recent arrivals from Africa.
Very true.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM

514 posts, read 764,967 times
Default not true

Quote:

But ultimately their roots are in the South. I don't remember slaves being brought to Minnesota. The Great Migration was massive numbers of blacks who moved North and West for jobs in factories. That's why the post was about the reversal of the Great Migration. The migration after WW2 was one of the largest movements of people in world history.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM

When did I mention Minnesota? I said the Northeast. Plus, there are blacks in the Northeast who descended from people who were enslaved in the Northeast back in the 18th century (some NE states once had slavery). How do they have roots in the South when they don't have any Southern ancestry?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:00 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Georgia now has the largest black population the country. Followed by New York, Texas, Florida, than California in that order. I expect Texas to pass New York in the next couple years. Atlanta added over a half a million Blacks from 2000-2009.

Census estimates show more US blacks moving South - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
The Southern U.S. region -- primarily metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami and Charlotte, N.C. -- accounted for roughly 75 percent of the population gains among blacks since 2000, up from 65 percent in the 1990s, according to the latest census estimates. The gains came primarily at the expense of Northern metro areas such as New York and Chicago, which posted their first declines in black population since at least 1980.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Georgia now has the largest black population the country. Followed by New York, Texas, Florida, than California in that order. I expect Texas to pass New York in the next couple years. Atlanta added over a half a million Blacks from 2000-2009.

Census estimates show more US blacks moving South - chicagotribune.com

Holy crap. I knew we would be #1 in the state totals soon, but not this soon.

With the way things are going it is likely Atlanta is perhaps 15 years away (or less) from having the largest metropolitan African-American population up from #2 currently.

It's a bit much to get my head around. My grandfather and grandmother we're Georgians who left during the Great Migration. My parents returned to Georgia in 1970s, I still make my home hear, and a lot of my cousins have moved down here. Really amazing to think that in the course of about 4 generations their has been a complete reversal.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM

It is amazing. It's pretty sad if you ask me, as I like having diverse people groups up here in the Midwest. At least our Hispanic, Somali (African) and Asian populations keep expanding.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I can't wait until I see those numbers. The South now accounts for over 57 percent of this country's black population. Up from 53 percent. I'm thinking that Texas, Florida, and Georgia (obviously now) are all over 3 million in blacks and they will be the three largest black populated states by 2020.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:07 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
It is amazing. It's pretty sad if you ask me, as I like having diverse people groups up here in the Midwest. At least our Hispanic, Somali (African) and Asian populations keep expanding.
Personally I don't see anything "sad" about most of it.

A new Black Renaissance is occurring here in Atlanta in the arts, politics, economic expansion, etc. It's an exciting time to be alive here because of the new dynamic being created AND because it is all on our own accord. People are moving here because they want to, not because they are being forced to or to escape the lynching and murders our grandparents left behind.

And I would feel this way if it were occurring in the Midwest, Northeast or the West. It's just icing on the cake that it is happening in the land where we were once so maligned and in chains. Makes me wish I could get a hold of Doc Brown's Delorean and bring back whatever slave owner or segregationist I could find just so I can rub their stupid face in it's glory.

Last edited by waronxmas; 02-15-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.