Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
who cares??

for every person that moves more ppl move in. our population isn't declining. ny has never been known for ONE group; we are a multicultural city and have always held the title as most diverse city in this country.

so we don't live in a majority black city. and? if you don't want to live here then move. if you are a quitter and easily give up then this city isn't for you.

those of us that want to improve this city will stay behind and do what we need to do. when i get enough money i def plan to give back any way i can. i would love to start a business and hire from my own community.

my own gf, who is from the south, suggested that we bail on ny and move to atl like those ppl in the article. she's hell bent on atl like every other black southerner outside of atl. i told her that we could skype but i'm not giving up on ny.

f that.

I like your attitude! More people need to embrace the place they love and supports them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
NY State still has more Black people than any other state and is 10th in Black percentage. I say to Black folks in NYC that want to leave, look at Upstate NY, as our cities are diverse and even the smaller cities have good sized Black percentages with increasing diversity as well. Even Syracuse has quite a Black folks in key positions in the area. So, you can find your niche as a Black person in NY State.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-23-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NY State still has more Black people than any other state and is 10th in Black percentage. I say to Black folks in NYC that want to leave, look at Upstate NY, as our cities are diverse and even the smaller cities have good sized Black percentages with increasing diversity as well. Even Syracuse has quite a Black folks in key positions in the area. So, you can find your niche as a Black person in NY State.
Chief of Police at Syracuse Police Department - Syracuse, NY 13202=

Syracuse University Athletics - Staff Directory

Syracuse Community Health Center
Google Image Result for http://rx4excellence.org/includes/img/cowart.jpg
http://www.syracuse.ny.us/mayordocs/...tion%20day.pdf

Board of Education | The Syracuse City School District (http://www.syracusecityschools.com/?q=board - broken link)
CNY Vision (http://www.cnyvision.com/articles/sharon_contreras.htm - broken link) (look at 3rd paragraph)

Sam Roberts sworn into office - YNN, Your News Now

City of Syracuse
City of Syracuse
City of Syracuse

Madison County Sheriff's Office - Home (county to the east)

YouTube - ‪Oneida Common Council: December 15, 2009 - Max Smith on MCBOS Health Insurance‬‏ (also in Madison County and in a small city that is about 2-3% Black)

I'm leaving more out and you can find Black folks in key positions in other Upstate metros like Buffalo, Rochester and Ithaca, among others too. So, there are examples up here as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM

200 posts, read 449,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post

The nation's African-American population continued its southward migration over the past decade, shifting a large part of the black middle class from northern states to faster-growing economies of the South.Among 25 big U.S. metro areas with the largest growth in African-American population between 2000 and 2009, 16 were in the South—including Atlanta and Dallas—according to the Census Bureau's American Community Survey. Among the big losers were cities in the North and West, including Detroit, Los Angeles and Cleveland.
The biggest gainer was Atlanta, a magnet for black professionals. Its metro area added about 500,000 African-Americans between the 2000 and 2009 period, and more than twice the next-largest numeric gainer, Dallas, according to an analysis of Census data by William H. Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. Over the same period, the share of Atlanta's 25-and-over black population that had college degrees increased to 24.6% in 2009 from 21.5% in 2000.

South Draws U.S. Blacks - WSJ.com
Humph....My hometown (Dayton) is on the cities being left by African Americans...and I'm one of them! We actually called the NCR relocation from Dayton to Atlanta a "black" move. LOL

Old 07-02-2011, 12:23 PM

113 posts, read 296,829 times
Chicago!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:11 PM

717 posts, read 898,246 times
Black folks are coming back home.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Western Africa from Senegal to Angola?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
The South is not my home. I was born and raised on the West Coast.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM

717 posts, read 898,246 times
The south is where the roots of Black America are located. 50%+ of the nation's black population..and growing

Old 07-03-2011, 12:40 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The South is not my home. I was born and raised on the West Coast.
True, but your grandparents or great-grandparents are probably from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.