U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,060,708 times

Advertisements

Have you checked out employment at Ellsworth Air Force Base in Rapid City? Also, do a search on the Black Hills. I think you'll be extremely surprised at their beauty. The western part of So. Dak. is not flat. Harney Peak in the Hills is the highest point east of the Rockies.

If you're not interested, it's fine, but I thought you may want to at least check into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM

1,816 posts, read 5,184,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but Louisville and Nashville are not Midwestern cities, they are Southern. In any case, I don't want to argue about this. I agree that they are nice. A little too small for my taste though. Stick within the twelve states listed in the first post that are officially defined as the Midwest please. Other than that, please share the ups and downs of the Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and Chicago and Cincy Fishtacos. These are four that I may be calling home sometime in the future and would appreciate feedback from someone like you who has lived there. Which of these cities besides Chicago would be a good place for an aerospace engineer to reside? Ohio and Illinois are states I am looking at because of the aviation opportunities they have...Chicago is where Boeing is now headquartered. Which Midwestern cities would have something to offer for engineers in the fields of aviation besides Chicago and St. Louis? I have been looking at Detroit, Indy, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincy, KC, the Twin Cities, Milwaukee, and Chicago as places to possibly move to. Dayton in particular has captured my attention.
I'll stick to whatever I want thanks.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM

333 posts, read 1,331,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Have you checked out employment at Ellsworth Air Force Base in Rapid City? Also, do a search on the Black Hills. I think you'll be extremely surprised at their beauty. The western part of So. Dak. is not flat. Harney Peak in the Hills is the highest point east of the Rockies.

If you're not interested, it's fine, but I thought you may want to at least check into it.
yeah, i think the black hills has the best scenery out of all those states. the tap water is horrendous, though.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

534 posts, read 1,829,095 times
The Black Hills are gorgeous. They are one of my favorite places anywhere.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
What does Iowa have to offer? Just curious because the state is never talked about much. How do areas like Des Moines and Cedar Rapids compare to places like Madison, Duluth, and Green Bay? In addition, I'm also interested in how Columbia (Missouri), St. Joseph, Hannibal, Jefferson City, Springfield (Illinois), Champaign Illinois, Effingham, and Terre Haute compare to each other. Just thought I might take some rural areas in states of the Lower Midwest to compare to each other. I was born and raised in a big city and still live in one so I don't know what rural life in the lower Midwest is generally like or how different ones in different states compare to each other.

Last edited by ajf131; 07-18-2007 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-18-2007, 03:12 PM

766 posts, read 2,269,645 times
Best Midwestern States to Live In:

(1) Illinois - Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, and more Chicago. This is the only place that I'd personally live full-time, but if you're not into big city...

(2) Michigan (Western part of the state but NOT Detroit) - The western coast along Lake Michigan is about as gorgeous as you can get in terms of natural beauty in the Midwest.

(3) Wisconsin - Door County is spectacular while Madison is the Midwest's best smaller city (even as an Illini fan).

(4) Minnesota - Minneapolis is a nice city with access to the great natural resources of the state.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:43 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 181,538 times
I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THE Upper Peninsula, Michigan, cuz it gots Da Yoopers!
They like to hunt, camp, shoot, and drink whisky!

lol

yeah, I do like Door County, it has the scenuc Green Bay to the West and Lake Michigan to the East.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:46 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 181,538 times
saginaw bay is beautiful also!

Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,650,017 times
I've been to most but not all of those states, although I haven't spent a ton of time in any of them. The only one I would live in is Missouri (and I am moving there in a week and a half!). If Arkansas were on the list, that would be my #2 choice. I guess Arkansas must be considered part of the south.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I've been to most but not all of those states, although I haven't spent a ton of time in any of them. The only one I would live in is Missouri (and I am moving there in a week and a half!). If Arkansas were on the list, that would be my #2 choice. I guess Arkansas must be considered part of the south.
Arkansas is indeed part of the South, more specifically the Upper South. Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas all form part of the region known as the Upper South. I'm not sure if South Carolina is officially considered the Deep South or Upper South, I'm pretty certain it is probably the Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or