U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,908,931 times

Advertisements

Seattle and San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,424,164 times
DENVER.

If you're looking for the kind of place where you can sit on a full light rail train and still be able to hear a pin drop, Denver is your place!

It drives me freakin' bonkers.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,636 times
In my experience, anywhere in New England is pretty good in this respect. The Midwest is not bad, either. And pretty much the whole West too, with the possible exception of California. Those Cali folks can give you a bit of hard time if you're not a "people person."

The one place I do NOT recommend is Washington, D.C. or its environs. OH MY GOD. That area drove this introvert into a quasi-murderous rage.

NYC is also pretty extraverted but they seem more laid back about it; I think it would be easier to handle living there.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:57 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,793,710 times
Toronto, Canada is the place you want!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,089,833 times
Most urban areas are populated by introverts.

Check this out.

The Map Scroll: The New and Improved Geography of Personality - Now Includes Canada!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:27 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Most urban areas are populated by introverts.

Check this out.

The Map Scroll: The New and Improved Geography of Personality - Now Includes Canada!
That map doesn't seem right at all. Oh well.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,651,281 times
Anywhere but the midwest. People are just so darn nice there, and they think nothing of starting a friendly conversation with you at almost any time.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 AM

901 posts, read 2,019,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Agreed. It seems to imply Canadians are all somehow uniform, with little diversity of personality. I find that hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Anywhere but the midwest. People are just so darn nice there, and they think nothing of starting a friendly conversation with you at almost any time.
Not sure what to say. "I'm sorry", maybe...?

Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Seems pretty right to me Midwesterners and Southerners are overly friendly and it seems to be mecca'd around ATL and Chicago.
As an extreme introvert I score over 90% on the MBTI I can definitely notice it, people stop me all the time to talk, neighbors come over, etc. And yes sometimes it is a bit much for this introvert, but maybe a good thing too so I can meet more people than I normally would. The closedness also seems accurate, in the midwest people tend not to show very much or express themselves (even if they have a lot going on inside) when compared to some of the coastal cities)
Just my observations.
The neurotic zone seems right too, centered right over NYC.

"Taking these maps as a whole, what's most remarkable to me is the extent to which the story of the geography of personality in North America is a story about the difference between New York City and Atlanta. Just look at those maps: in the case of every one of the big five personality traits, both of those cities represent one end of the spectrum of the distribution of that trait; and in every case, they represent opposite ends of that spectrum. In other words, both areas are outliers for every trait, and both areas are outliers in opposite directions for every trait. Other parts of North America, like Canada and the interior West, are either generally near the middle of the spectrum for most traits; or, like the Midwest, they share patterns with the Atlanta-centered South or the NYC-centered Northeast depending on the trait. But in every single case, Atlanta and New York City are diametrically opposed to each other."

Maybe that is why there is such a big beef between ATL/NYC on here... the people are polar opposites in every category.

As far as what suits me best by those maps being both an open minded, non religious, impulsive, disagreeable, introvert seems like the stretch from Boston/NYC would fit my personality well. I've definitely considered living in NYC before too, not for the moment though.

Last edited by grapico; 01-16-2011 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-16-2011, 11:24 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,487,957 times
Portland, Oregon sounds perfect for you. Never before have I seen a city so into removing itself from society as this one. That is a big part of the reason I don't care for this type of American city. It calls itself friendly but thats not my idea of friendly. Always wondering if when you speak to a stranger will you be spoken to or will you be snubbed.

Portland is definitely a city for an introvert. Probably why so many counter culture and alternative types including the homeless flock to Portland, Oregon. It has a culture conducive to being removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or