U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM

766 posts, read 1,885,270 times

Advertisements

What are the best cities for an introvert? As an introvert I like places that have a lot of quiet cafe's, and coffee shops, places that are relatively quiet and people who don't necessarily feel the need to talk to you all the time like sitting on a train or standing in line. I like places that have interesting things to do and look at, but not really into clubs or crowds, although strangely I kind of like New York City because I don't feel claustrophobic there, and you can feel alone in a crowd. I also don't like places with a lot of freeways. I much prefer places with trains or standard roads. And I like places that have space for reflection. I also like places with beauty, both natural and architectural (another reason why I like new york). Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 754,156 times
Any city in Western Europe

Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,302,363 times
New York City is compatible with all of your criteria. I think you would like it here.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM

757 posts, read 1,496,897 times
The Silicon Valley, for the same reason criticize it, which is because it's alienating.

The SV is populated by people who generally segregate themselves by ethnic group, many of them don't and won't speak English, and many people don't have anything in common. We practice the principle that it's easier to ignore each other than to acknowledge each other.

Those who would acknowledge each other are usually too busy with work or work-related activities like after-work networking; they expend their energy on their livelihood.

In the SV, you can go to nearly any kind of store, cafe or restaurant and not be bothered.

As for architectural beauty, the SV doesn't have it as the redevelopment agencies have demolished a lot of the late 19th/early 20th century architecture. If such is really important to you, you have to either go to SF or just live somewhere that's both older and hasn't seen as much of wrecking ball.

If you want natural beauty, I think the SFBA's combination of urbanized area in proximity to world-renowned natural beauty is comparable to most.

The problem is the criteria of both architectural and natural beauty.

Many western cities are surrounded by natural beauty, but many are too young to have really good architecture. Many eastern cities obviously have antique architecure and many will say that those cities are surrounded by natural beauty. I won't contest that because then I will have the Northeastern crowd endlessly bickering with me.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,092,339 times
Portland and Seattle come to mind...

Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM

901 posts, read 2,054,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
What are the best cities for an introvert? As an introvert I like places that have a lot of quiet cafe's, and coffee shops, places that are relatively quiet and people who don't necessarily feel the need to talk to you all the time like sitting on a train or standing in line. I like places that have interesting things to do and look at, but not really into clubs or crowds, although strangely I kind of like New York City because I don't feel claustrophobic there, and you can feel alone in a crowd. I also don't like places with a lot of freeways. I much prefer places with trains or standard roads. And I like places that have space for reflection. I also like places with beauty, both natural and architectural (another reason why I like new york). Any recommendations?
Asheville, North Carolina is popping into my head. It's a gorgeous city surrounded by incredible natural beauty, and there is some interesting architecture there, too. No skyscrapers, of course, but there are a lot of places around there where you could find solitude and places of quiet reflection.

Last edited by insightofitall; 01-14-2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM

12,391 posts, read 25,019,185 times
Seattle

Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,144,414 times
Seattle, or you can get on I-35W and drive north for about 45 minutes.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 AM

13,856 posts, read 23,411,817 times
Hartford, Connecticut scored seventh on a list of "smart cities" and first on a list of "quiet cities", but I don't know how valid they are.

America's Smartest Cities - From First to Worst - Galleries - The Daily Beast
Metrogrades: Noisiest Cities : Men's Heath.com

Going by another measure Madison, Wisconsin is in the top ten for "brainy cities" while being in the top ten for quiet.

25 Most Educated Cities - Slideshows - Portfolio.com

Don't know if those are good for the other things you mention.

Seattle and San Jose make sense.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 AM

5,773 posts, read 13,961,654 times
Hmmm, people don't generally engage in idle chat with strangers. City activity, but not quite the frenetic crowds you find in NYC or some other cities. Intimate places to go out, like cafes, pubs, etc. Lots of public transit options, and not so heavily dependent on freeways as many fast-growing Southern and Western cities. Variety of interesting activities. Intriguing architecture. Natural beauty in the nearby outdoors areas.

Welcome to Boston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or