Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Although it's called New England, the housing styles are not similar to England at all. The main difference being since England chopped down all of its primeval forest centuries ago, there are virtually no wood houses in England. The vernacular housing style was typically brick, and usually (even in smaller cities) attached brick houses - rowhouses basically, although in England they were called terraced houses.
The one thing New England has in common with England more so than Eastern Pennsylvania is the lack of grid system in the towns and cities, making the center of towns feel a bit more similar. The old mill architecture has some similarities, too.

Quote:
The most English-looking part of the U.S. is Eastern Pennsylvania. Most notably Philadelphia and some of the smaller boroughs in the area. A street like this would not look out of place in England. This even moreso.
Maybe, but the colonial era rowhomes have a distinctly American look. Some later more generic ones could probably pass as English better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe, but the colonial era rowhomes have a distinctly American look. Some later more generic ones could probably pass as English better.
Eh. The examples I showed were Georgian, which was used on both sides of the Atlantic roughly concurrently. The federalist style immediately after the Georgian era wasn't much derived either.

It's true that some of the more common industrial-era vernaculars aren't too different however. In general Britain seemed to like symmetrical facades less than the U.S. did. You see many examples like these:

In the U.S. in almost all typical rowhouse designs (unless remuddled) you'd have a window above the doorway. I've seen ones with slightly offset windows from the first/second floor in Baltimore and Philly, but they're rare, and seldom to never have only one, off-center window on the second floor.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,154 times
This is a neat little thread, I constantly ask myself this question in reverse so ima answer it backwards (even though this thread is old now).

In terms of Landscape I think whoever said Maryland might be on to something. Maryland with it's patchwork fields and gentle hills reminded me a lot of the South East of England.

I always thought the South Downs (Sussex, Hampshire) could probably sneak into Maryland, lie down and go unnoticed.

Here's (hopefully) a picture of the Weald of Sussex and another of rural Maryland:

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/570...%2FL2ypVh6hEcJ

http://sussex.nadfas.net/sites/susse...20DFAS%202.jpg

I hope those pictures show up.

I'm English too so my vote counts for double.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
I definitely agree with parts of maryland, virginia and horse and hound country like loudoun county, (middleburg, warrenton ,etc) has definitely an aristocratic and equestrian and english feel . Some english live there for riding.

wikimedia commons photo middleburg virginia

Old 09-18-2015, 12:37 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The one thing New England has in common with England more so than Eastern Pennsylvania is the lack of grid system in the towns and cities, making the center of towns feel a bit more similar. The old mill architecture has some similarities, too.
That is true. Although I'd have to agree that the very prevalent "salt box" style of architecture in New England is unique to the region and not something you'd find in the UK.

Specifically, the prevalent use of brick and stone (especially the stone farmhouses you'll find scattered throughout the Pennsylvania countryside) really does lend to a strong Western European influence.

Overall, I think there are strong English influences throughout the Eastern US.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:22 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjjy500 View Post
This is a neat little thread, I constantly ask myself this question in reverse so ima answer it backwards (even though this thread is old now).

In terms of Landscape I think whoever said Maryland might be on to something. Maryland with it's patchwork fields and gentle hills reminded me a lot of the South East of England.

I always thought the South Downs (Sussex, Hampshire) could probably sneak into Maryland, lie down and go unnoticed.

Here's (hopefully) a picture of the Weald of Sussex and another of rural Maryland:

Wow that looks like here! That's crazy!!

Old 09-19-2015, 12:45 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
The weather is the Pacific NW - damp marine air, lots of clouds, rarely gets too hot (a/c is rare in Seattle) or too cold (except I hate that damp cold! I need a Irish wool sweater all winter!). Also, we're super white, like Britain. But the terrain and housing definitely aren't like Britain. We used wood to build (most available resource) and stone won't hold up to our earthquakes. Also, the west coast is too new to have similar architecture. In that respect, we are more Scandinavian.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:57 PM

231 posts, read 226,849 times
Another vote for MD and Virginia. The climate of the pacific NW is probably closest to England but the actual landscape is completely different.

MD and Virginia are a near perfect match for England, only the climate is more extreme, and you will get sun in the summer and snow in the winter.

Overall, I would say if you had to choose between the two, looking nearly identical gains more points than having a similar climate/rainfall.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjjy500 View Post

These pictures show the problem when trying to compare parts of the United States or Canada to England. England is much more intensively farmed and much less forested then much of the Eastern United States or Canada. And the English farm fields are much more random and different sizes and shapes then the areas of the USA/Canada that are intensively farmed like the Midwest. And finally England is too green when compared to large parts of the West.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
There are definitely parts of central KY that look like the UK countryside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.