Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

It might seem silly to some of you, but these sights really do fill me with pride... I'm proud to live in a city where we're free to be unique, and nobody is an outcast. Literally anything goes in San Francisco, and I love that about it! We're not perfect, but at least we try...

I'm also very proud of our diverse population, and the wide variety of cultures you can experience here... people really celebrate their heritage, and are proud of both their history in SF and their homelands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Gizmo - I love the mural. Nothing that makes you connect to your community and care about it is silly. I'm the goddess of quirky things that I like about the areas I have lived. I once took a blind date on a walk around Santa Fe and showed him the smallest park I ever saw because I got a kick out it. It was a parkbench on about a ten foot piece of grass next to a state office building and had a sign "....Park." I happened to wander across it on one of my walks around the city. The guy left puzzled--he didn't get my weird sense curiosity or delight (who created it, why was it a park, was it the smallest park in the world?). I think cities are much like people - if you look there are all kinds of things you see are unique and special that you can enjoy. Walking is a great way to slow down enough to see them.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Video Detail - AOL Video
I know I'm in Arizona!http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5646&stc=1&d=118529517 8

Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Gizmo - I love the mural. Nothing that makes you connect to your community and care about it is silly. I'm the goddess of quirky things that I like about the areas I have lived. I once took a blind date on a walk around Santa Fe and showed him the smallest park I ever saw because I got a kick out it. It was a parkbench on about a ten foot piece of grass next to a state office building and had a sign "....Park." I happened to wander across it on one of my walks around the city. The guy left puzzled--he didn't get my weird sense curiosity or delight (who created it, why was it a park, was it the smallest park in the world?). I think cities are much like people - if you look there are all kinds of things you see are unique and special that you can enjoy. Walking is a great way to slow down enough to see them.
Thanks, and I agree! I love to walk around the different neighborhoods, taking pictures, "people-watching", and just soaking in the local flavor... each part of San Francisco is unique, and even after living here (on & off) for most of my life, there's still more to see. Oh, and I'm the same way about having quirky favorites - those are the best kind!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Gizmo - I love the mural.
Oh, and I absolutely love that mural too... almost every neighborhood (district) has them, but that's one of my favorites. San Franciscans are VERY proud of their neighborhoods, often to the point of snobbery. And the snobbiness doesn't always come from where you'd expect (like Nob Hill or Twin Peaks) - no, it's usually ones in "cool", trendy or dangerous parts of town! I admit, sometimes I brag about where I live, since it's 2 blocks from the worst part of SF... gets a nice "oooh" reaction, LOL. Anyway, here are some more murals for your viewing pleasure:

The Haight district

Visitacion Valley

Portola district
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/PIC-0130.jpg (broken link)

The Mission

Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,768 times
Gizmo - who paints the murals? They are wonderful.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Honestly, I don't know... I think each is done by a different local artist, most likely from that neighborhood. There's actually a book on SF murals, so maybe I'll take a look & get back to you. Aren't they beautiful?!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:40 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, one of the greatest architects in the world (long since passed away), IMO. Those are his prairie-style homes in Oak Park, IL, where he studied and built many homes. He has some in WI, and one in PA if Im correct, and one in Scottsdale, AZ (Taliesen West). Oak Park, IL has the highest concentration of FLW homes in the world I believe.
Don't forget the gas station he designed in Cloquet, MN. Still in business last time I drove thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.