U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,754 times

Advertisements

I am 36 years old, and I live on disability of $842 a month. I do not currently have any financial assistance, other than food stamps and medical assistance. Due to my health problems I cannot drive.

I hate the town in which I live (Hagerstown, MD), and I really would like to relocate. I was looking at Florida, since my health issues are exacerbated by cold weather. The only problem is that I am finding out that every area I look into is very pricey; either in rent, utilities, or both.

I can afford to pay about $600-650 a month for rent and utilities. I know, this is asking a lot, but I'd really just like to have a 1 BR apartment in a safe area. I am at a huge loss though, because I can't find anywhere that this is realistic. I cannot afford to move further than the mid-line of the US, and the warmer the area, the better.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really need some help.

PS. I do have a dog, but she's a toy size. I will not consider getting rid of her. She's kind of all I have.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers,
Alecia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 10:24 AM

240 posts, read 767,985 times
How about the Carolinas. I just moved to the Greenville Spartanburg area in SC. It is cheaper than most areas of Florida, and seems to be as safe as anywhere I have lived. The weather may not be as good as Florida, but it is a lot better than MD.

Edit to add if you rely on Public Transportation the Charlotte area may be better, but then it would also be harder to live on your income. You may also consider the Charleston area.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:36 AM

20 posts, read 35,681 times
Bumping for curiosity. I'm younger and not disabled, but my income is similar. I'd also like to know about good places to live down south (as in below DC). I'm self-employed, and my business doesn't require me to stay here. Plus points if it's a place where I can get a part-time secretary or food service job fairly easily.

Good luck finding a place with your pet, BTW. I know it's difficult, but it's so worth it. Back when I had my cat, I felt the same way. Also, my aunt and uncle who are both disabled just found a place in Florida for themselves and their animals. I should find out where it's at.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 AM

56,503 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witton View Post
How about the Carolinas. I just moved to the Greenville Spartanburg area in SC. It is cheaper than most areas of Florida, and seems to be as safe as anywhere I have lived. The weather may not be as good as Florida, but it is a lot better than MD.

Edit to add if you rely on Public Transportation the Charlotte area may be better, but then it would also be harder to live on your income. You may also consider the Charleston area.
I was going to say that Charleston SC or Savannah GA might be a couple of good choices for the OP.

Maybe even a college town like Chapel Hill NC, Greenville NC, Athens GA or Auburn AL, among other Southern college towns.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,075,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was going to say that Charleston SC or Savannah GA might be a couple of good choices for the OP.

Maybe even a college town like Chapel Hill NC, Greenville NC, Athens GA or Auburn AL, among other Southern college towns.
Auburn would be the absolute worst place for someone who can't drive. They dont' have any public transportation outside of stuff that's mainly for students. They don't even have taxis and its really expensive for such a small city. I really like Auburn but wouldn't recommend it for the OP.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,075,400 times
Savannah would be great but again kinda expensive. Florida might be the place outside of course south Florida which is still pretty darn pricey.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecia1974 View Post
I am 36 years old, and I live on disability of $842 a month. I do not currently have any financial assistance, other than food stamps and medical assistance. Due to my health problems I cannot drive.

I hate the town in which I live (Hagerstown, MD), and I really would like to relocate. I was looking at Florida, since my health issues are exacerbated by cold weather. The only problem is that I am finding out that every area I look into is very pricey; either in rent, utilities, or both.

I can afford to pay about $600-650 a month for rent and utilities. I know, this is asking a lot, but I'd really just like to have a 1 BR apartment in a safe area. I am at a huge loss though, because I can't find anywhere that this is realistic. I cannot afford to move further than the mid-line of the US, and the warmer the area, the better.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really need some help.

PS. I do have a dog, but she's a toy size. I will not consider getting rid of her. She's kind of all I have.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers,
Alecia
Hi Alecia,

I'd recommend looking at the college town of Chapel Hill, NC and the neighboring town of Carrboro. Both are quite safe places to live in. There are a large number of one or two bedroom apartments well within your price range that are also dog-friendly, check out Craigslist. The area has a milder four-season climate which won't drive up your utility bills. Chapel Hill and Carrboro are both served by Chapel Hill Transit which is fare-free! Duke Power has assistance programs for the disabled so if you incur a higher than normal bill they'll extend payment terms. Chapel Hill also has excellent healthcare options through the UNC Hospitals. I lived there for several years and highly recommend living there. Good luck!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Carrboro, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town of Chapel Hill : About Chapel Hill Transit
Average Weather for Carrboro, NC - Temperature and Precipitation
About Us —

Old 01-17-2011, 11:18 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenfester NY View Post
Bumping for curiosity. I'm younger and not disabled, but my income is similar. I'd also like to know about good places to live down south (as in below DC). I'm self-employed, and my business doesn't require me to stay here. Plus points if it's a place where I can get a part-time secretary or food service job fairly easily.

Good luck finding a place with your pet, BTW. I know it's difficult, but it's so worth it. Back when I had my cat, I felt the same way. Also, my aunt and uncle who are both disabled just found a place in Florida for themselves and their animals. I should find out where it's at.
I'd recommend you check out Chapel Hill-Carrboro as well. They provide a nice quality of life for those who don't have a lot of income. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM

20 posts, read 35,681 times
Yeah, I've thought of the Raleigh area before. It seems very suburban and spread out, and most of the Craigslist ads I saw were for houses that might not be close to anything. Chapel Hill is a little more pricey, but it seems more walkable. Maybe I'll go down there sometime for a few days and check it out.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:52 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,434,105 times
South Carolina, it's similar to Florida but cheaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or