U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,030 times

Advertisements

hey y'all..i'm lookin' for some good feedback here.. my girlfriend and i currently live in eugene, OR..are moving to bellingham, WA, next january through the summer.. but we're looking to possibly move back east during the fall of '08... she's from the "joisey shore" and really wants to move back near there.. i'm not quite sold on jersey.. we're trying to keep an open mind about everything.. we're thought about burlington, VT and asheville, NC..

what we're looking for is a smaller-type town w/a good quality of life, good schools, affordable housing, maybe a college atmosphere, and some sunshine and mountains wouldn't hurt either.. oh, and ideally not too far from the ocean!

i'm hoping for some insight as to finding a cute little gem that not a lot of people know about.. thank you kindly for the information..enjoy today!

tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,030 times
Default nobody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhiboy View Post
hey y'all..i'm lookin' for some good feedback here.. my girlfriend and i currently live in eugene, OR..are moving to bellingham, WA, next january through the summer.. but we're looking to possibly move back east during the fall of '08... she's from the "joisey shore" and really wants to move back near there.. i'm not quite sold on jersey.. we're trying to keep an open mind about everything.. we're thought about burlington, VT and asheville, NC..

what we're looking for is a smaller-type town w/a good quality of life, good schools, affordable housing, maybe a college atmosphere, and some sunshine and mountains wouldn't hurt either.. oh, and ideally not too far from the ocean!

i'm hoping for some insight as to finding a cute little gem that not a lot of people know about.. thank you kindly for the information..enjoy today!

tony
nobody's got an insight?!?!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,759,755 times
I'll do what I can. Alot of New England should give you that vibe. Mountains, Relatively close to the ocean, if not on it. Great colleges in alot of towns. Schools are usually good. Burlington, Hanover, Portsmouth, et. cetera. I'm no expert on those places, but I would look in that region.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 181,759 times
How about Virginia? Virginia Beach is one of the best beaches on the East Coast. In Fairfax County, Virginia, the school system is the second or third-largest in the United States and is one of the best. There is almost NO CRIME whatsoever in No pollution (unlike New Jersey), great schools, in Northern Virginia, low property/rental tax. It is a one hour's drive to Washington D.C. It is very close to the Appalachain Mountains and even closer to the scenic and beautiful Shenandoah Valley. You can easily drive to Virginia Beach, Ocean City, and New Jersey. Fairfax County is great! You can have a nice suburban home, an apartment in a city, or a quiet house on over an acre of land... anything you want!

If you have any questions about Fairfax County, ask me.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
If you like skiing, you can get to great Virginia or Pennsylvannia ski resorts in just a short trip

Old 07-17-2007, 09:08 PM

45 posts, read 132,053 times
I hear Wilkes-Barre is really nice. So are Richmond and anywhere in Delaware. Those are the fairly decent parts of the "East Coast". Stay away from the DC Area if you want a sense of community.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLuc1982 View Post
I hear Wilkes-Barre is really nice. So is Richmond and anywhere in Delaware. Those are the fairly decent parts of the "East Coast". Stay away from the DC Area if you want a sense of community.
Well DC itself is bad, along with Maryland for the reasons previosly stated. Yeah, Delaware would be good, except for the schooling part... that is the most important. Virginia has it all... what tourist attractions does Delaware have to offer? Northern Virginia is not always Arlington and Alexandria. In fairfax county, prince william county, and loudon county there are small towns where you can actually have a community and not have neighbors that are "acres" away... LOL

Old 07-17-2007, 09:53 PM

45 posts, read 132,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Lover View Post
Well DC itself is bad, along with Maryland for the reasons previosly stated. Yeah, Delaware would be good, except for the schooling part... that is the most important. Virginia has it all... what tourist attractions does Delaware have to offer? Northern Virginia is not always Arlington and Alexandria. In fairfax county, prince william county, and loudon county there are small towns where you can actually have a community and not have neighbors that are "acres" away... LOL
Springfield didn't impress me at all. People didn't know what was 2 streets away. When I asked for directions, people were very rude. Fairfax near Centreville, Ashburn, and Manassas Park aren't so bad, they're just off the beaten path. The highway infrastructure in the Western NoVA suburbs is behind 20 years. My uncle lived in Falls Church and noticed the lack of a sense of community.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Not in Centreville! Manassas has a lot of Mexicans, trailer parks, and used tire shops... but it also has awesome restaurants and stores. I go there all the time. We, being from Centreville, have a big rivalry with Westfields High School and Chantilly... I also go to Springfield all of the time. They have some old houses there. We do need to update our transportation situation... Governor Kaine is not helping, so our local supervisors are taking action to address that issue. The expansion of the Metro should ease up traffic some.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 20,649 times
Default Asheville NC

I moved to Asheville right out of undergrad and lived there for two years; It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
I moved there because it's known as a pocket of liberalism in Western NC. There's a relatively large GLBT population, and (maybe not so coincidentally) there's a thriving arts scene as well. It's a fun place to live. The downtown restaurants and shops are fantastic and the night life is fun and diverse. It feels like a small town (because it is) with big town values. That said, it's not perfect.
I would not advise moving to Asheville if you don't already have a job. Tourism is one of the major economic draws in Asheville and that makes for a city with very educated wait staffs. Also, though it feels small town and safe, there are a few neighborhoods to stay away. I wouldn't advise living very close to the downtown area (stay away from South French Broad Street). You just have to look around. It's not unusual to have the really nice areas two minutes away from the scary parts. When I lived there, my apartment was burglarized twice during the first year. To be fair, I did live in a sketchy neighborhood and I'm the only person I knew who had their stuff stolen.
Basically, if you've got a job and can afford decent housing (it's cheap for such a nice area) then I recommend Asheville. If you're looking to get established then maybe you should wait a few years, though I can't guarantee the parts of Asheville that I loved will still be there.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or