U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfield View Post
- a GREAT music scene and a lot of people my age so I can have FUN
- Friendly people
- Cool cafes
- Trees
IMO Denver doesn't have any of these, ditto for Boulder, but add "affordable" to the list of things it doesn't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:29 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
What about Seattle?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
It seems like Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, and Austin are often thrown around in the same category, but Portland and Seattle run into the sun issue.

What about Pittsburgh? I don't know that city well enough to know if it's a good fit, but I was very impressed when I first visited. The setting is amazing, it seems pretty affordable, it seemed very livable. Don't know about the music scene, but it certainly seems to have a lot going on in other cultural realms.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM

56,528 posts, read 80,824,285 times
What's ironic is that Ithaca is very similar to Burlington VT. As for bigger cities, the other posts pretty much sums it up. Maybe some other sleepers are Madison WI, Ann Arbor MI, Columbus OH, Athens GA(more moderate though) and the Research Triangle of NC(Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, etc.).

Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 AM

904 posts, read 1,634,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It seems like Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, Denver, and Austin are often thrown around in the same category, but Portland and Seattle run into the sun issue.

What about Pittsburgh? I don't know that city well enough to know if it's a good fit, but I was very impressed when I first visited. The setting is amazing, it seems pretty affordable, it seemed very livable. Don't know about the music scene, but it certainly seems to have a lot going on in other cultural realms.
Pittsburgh would be a horrible choice for his criteria. I think I read somewhere that Pittsburgh is one of the top cities that gets the least amount of sunlight. Music scene doesn't seem to be great, though I don't know. But, a lot of the people I know that live there always complain that there's nothing to do (matter of opinion though) and that there is more old people than young people. Doesn't seem like a good choice for the OP.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfield View Post
Hey CD,

So far I've received great help on this forum with all questions I've had about the 2 cities I was interested in. I am finding that I was clueless as to the state of the U.S economy, especially in certain cities. The one place where I DREAM of living, San Francisco, I am being told by friends, family and members of City Data is too much of a risk to move to for a recent college grad who doesn't have a job lined up out there. On my resume are a bunch of internships with music related places like record labels and magazines and festivals. I also had jobs and was very involved in the music scene at college. I am working my first retail job right now and don't mind it, but I live in a small town in New York with my mother and I feel SO trapped and depressed. I need to get out, but I don't think I can go to my dream city. It is breaking my heart but I was wondering if there is an alternative you guys could suggest until I can get enough money to really try it out there.

What I am looking for in a city (most important factors are bolded):

- Liberal
- Enough sun that I won't get depressed (otherwise I'd be taking the next plane to Portland)
- Little to no humidity
- Affordable!
- a GREAT music scene and a lot of people my age so I can have FUN
- Friendly people
- Cool cafes
- Trees

I have considered Chicago, but being that I am super inspired by the beauty in my natural surroundings, I'm pretty sure I'd feel just as trapped there. I visited this summer and found it sort of ugly and boring except for the tiny hip area, Wicker Park. I spent my college years living in Burlington, VT - which I loved. I loved the pine trees and mountains, it was so beautiful! It's a tad small though, I want to move on. I have lived in New York for a little bit and it is WAY too insane and impersonal for me. I was lonely and always exhausted there.

All of these things sound too good to be true so I know all of my requirements can't be fulfilled but any advice would be so, so appreciated. I don't know what to do, I just know I want to get out of here and start my life! How can I even think of getting a job from my little town in the sticks before I move?

ahh!
I would also say Minneapolis, but not sure how the music scene is there. It's almost impossible to find a perfect place for everyone. It seems like everyone wants to live in a place that's sunny, low humidity, liberal and affordable. Such a place doesn't exist in the U.S.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
The music scene is pretty good in Minneapolis.Depends on what specifically you're looking for, of course, but the local scene is overall very good.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM

2,880 posts, read 4,614,582 times
San Diego might be an option.
  • I has a conservative reputation, but in the city proper it's moderate and liberal in specific neighborhoods.
  • It's certainly sunny with low humidity.
  • If you were prepared for the expense of San Francisco then San Diego, though a little expensive, would be a relief. More specifically, just landing an apartment would be a thousand times easier.
  • Pretty good music scene. Intimate and accessible.
  • People are pretty easy going.
  • Yeah, there are cafes...
  • It's hilly with trees, but surrounded by your standard semi-arid Mediterranean environment. If it's dense forests of deciduous trees you want then you have a choice, as mentioned, between that and low humidity.
Unfortunately, expense will be an issue combined with your other bullet points.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 6,138,822 times
My first thought was Minneapolis. The suggestion of Raleigh may not be the best due to really high humidity in the summer and NC is overall more of a 'married' state than a 'singles' state. Also, NC has a very high unemployment rate. However, Ashville, NC might be worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.