U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:40 PM

32 posts, read 60,501 times

Advertisements

Hey CD,

So far I've received great help on this forum with all questions I've had about the 2 cities I was interested in. I am finding that I was clueless as to the state of the U.S economy, especially in certain cities. The one place where I DREAM of living, San Francisco, I am being told by friends, family and members of City Data is too much of a risk to move to for a recent college grad who doesn't have a job lined up out there. On my resume are a bunch of internships with music related places like record labels and magazines and festivals. I also had jobs and was very involved in the music scene at college. I am working my first retail job right now and don't mind it, but I live in a small town in New York with my mother and I feel SO trapped and depressed. I need to get out, but I don't think I can go to my dream city. It is breaking my heart but I was wondering if there is an alternative you guys could suggest until I can get enough money to really try it out there.

What I am looking for in a city (most important factors are bolded):

- Liberal
- Enough sun that I won't get depressed (otherwise I'd be taking the next plane to Portland)
- Little to no humidity
- Affordable!
- a GREAT music scene and a lot of people my age so I can have FUN
- Friendly people
- Cool cafes
- Trees

I have considered Chicago, but being that I am super inspired by the beauty in my natural surroundings, I'm pretty sure I'd feel just as trapped there. I visited this summer and found it sort of ugly and boring except for the tiny hip area, Wicker Park. I spent my college years living in Burlington, VT - which I loved. I loved the pine trees and mountains, it was so beautiful! It's a tad small though, I want to move on. I have lived in New York for a little bit and it is WAY too insane and impersonal for me. I was lonely and always exhausted there.

All of these things sound too good to be true so I know all of my requirements can't be fulfilled but any advice would be so, so appreciated. I don't know what to do, I just know I want to get out of here and start my life! How can I even think of getting a job from my little town in the sticks before I move?

ahh!

Last edited by flowerfield; 01-16-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,555,922 times
3 of those things don't really go together...

little to no humidity generally means there won't be many trees.

hrrm...

maybe boulder, maybe santa fe...

no elitists but you want SF? SF is full of elitists.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
Don't move to San Francisco, at least not the CITY of San Francisco. Much as I love the city, the lack of sunlight was hard for me to take. If you're looking for sun, SF is the wrong place. Some neighborhoods have more of it than others, though; it's very much a micro-climate kind of place. And it is DEFINITELY not affordable, although people do make it work. Not many trees in many neighborhoods, either, although there are certainly some beautiful tree-filled parks. So, for what it's worth, I don't think San Francisco is your dream city (unless you've spent time there and think that it is, in which case I think your written description doesn't match my views of the city -- it's been the grayest, least tree-filled, most expensive city I've ever lived in! Great cafes, however, and while I missed the sun I did love seeing the fog rolling by).

Is career most important, or city? If you'd like to stick in your industry your options might be more limited; if it was me I think I'd start by searching out jobs in or related to your field, and apply to them all. Then again, that's just me, but remember that you don't have to be somewhere forever, and a couple of years somewhere can be an adventure.

Check out Minneapolis. It can be humid in the summer, but nowhere near as humid as many parts of the country, but I think it fits everything else on your list very well. Lots of young people and a good music scene, relatively affordable, very liberal, tons of trees, and lots of cafes, sunnier than Portland. No mountains, but lots of trees.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Don't move to San Francisco, at least not the CITY of San Francisco. Much as I love the city, the lack of sunlight was hard for me to take. If you're looking for sun, SF is the wrong place. Some neighborhoods have more of it than others, though; it's very much a micro-climate kind of place. And it is DEFINITELY not affordable, although people do make it work. Not many trees in many neighborhoods, either, although there are certainly some beautiful tree-filled parks. So, for what it's worth, I don't think San Francisco is your dream city (unless you've spent time there and think that it is, in which case I think your written description doesn't match my views of the city -- it's been the grayest, least tree-filled, most expensive city I've ever lived in! Great cafes, however, and while I missed the sun I did love seeing the fog rolling by).

Is career most important, or city? If you'd like to stick in your industry your options might be more limited; if it was me I think I'd start by searching out jobs in or related to your field, and apply to them all. Then again, that's just me, but remember that you don't have to be somewhere forever, and a couple of years somewhere can be an adventure.

Check out Minneapolis. It can be humid in the summer, but nowhere near as humid as many parts of the country, but I think it fits everything else on your list very well. Lots of young people and a good music scene, relatively affordable, very liberal, tons of trees, and lots of cafes, sunnier than Portland. No mountains, but lots of trees.
SF is a cool city for sure but I don't think it fits what she want... much more concrete in SF, and it is overcast a bit, esp depends on where you are at. Known to have elitists (very rich people there) and definitely not cheap. Affordable is the only requirement she added an exclamation to, if that is the case SF should probably be at the bottom of her list along with Manhattan.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 PM

1,680 posts, read 3,183,213 times
Austin gets enough press already but if you are willing to consider dealing with the heat/humidity (moreso heat related though), I think it would work out since as you know there is a huge music scene there and compared with many places on the West Coast it is still affordable.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,337,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Austin gets enough press already but if you are willing to consider dealing with the heat/humidity (moreso heat related though), I think it would work out since as you know there is a huge music scene there and compared with many places on the West Coast it is still affordable.
Bingo. Austin was the first name to pop into my head. Apart from the humidity, it is the perfect fit. Awesome, amazing town too.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Austin would work but she bolded the little to no humidity

Old 01-16-2011, 09:44 PM

904 posts, read 1,634,640 times
I agree about Austin. I've learned that sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Yeah, the humidity and heat in Texas can get intense, but it's only for the Summer months that it's REALLY hot. Austin has a great economy (great as in better than a lot of other places), MANY young people moving there yearly (It being a great city and the University of Texas are two reasons), and a really great music scene. Austin is an affordable place and many seem to think Austin is a relatively friendly place. And hey, it may get hot, but you'll definitely see the sun.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:06 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,287,813 times
What about Denver? I don't know much about the music scene there but it is similar to Portland with more sun. Plus it does feel like a very young city to me.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
I thought Austin as soon as I finished reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.