U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM

129 posts, read 325,251 times
Default The best state and city to live in the southeast

My wife amd I are exploring many options right now on where to move too and live. We both like the southeast part of the country. I like it all the way over to Alabama even parts of Mississippi. What are some of your thought and opinion's on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM

5,000 posts, read 10,594,115 times
Check out "the Ham," Birmingham. Small city, not hard to get to know a bunch of folks. Lots going on...concerts, art, symphony, ballet. A funky vibe, with historic neighborhoods, or suburban living, according to your desire.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM

I like Alabama, a lot of family from Florence. My grandparent's are from just across the state line in Savannah TN. There seems to be a lot of jobs in Huntsville, especialy in the skilled trade's.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,339,196 times
It depends on what you define as southeast. While it's physically southeastern, but usually not included in that area, I would say Houston. To be more correct, I would say Georgia.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 AM

3,746 posts, read 3,238,484 times
Hmmm...several I think tie for this one. Atlanta is definitely one of the cities I would pick. I'd also be inclined to select places like Charlotte and Asheville, SC. Savannah, GA is also nice. Richmond, VA is another good one.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 AM

310 posts, read 722,724 times
Raleigh, NC....You get all of what Raleigh has to offer plus your close to the beaches and mountains.

Raleigh Ranks Right On Top (http://www.visitraleigh.com/media/accolades.html - broken link)

Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,595,031 times
I'm madly in love with Athens, GA. I'm also fond of Asheville, NC, but it has some strange problems --- the layout of the city is very awkward, they have bad air pollution and lots of fog/haze, and they're more isolated. Athens has the advantages of a vibrant downtown, beautiful neighborhoods, and easy access to Atlanta.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM

I wouldn't want to be in a big city I don't think. To many people and the traffic. I'd like to be close to water, lakes or ocean.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:57 PM

What about South Carolina?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:14 PM

3,746 posts, read 3,238,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgean View Post
What about South Carolina?
I have a step-uncle in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and overall yes it is a very pretty state. However it seems a little too laid back for me, a little bit too rural. Compared to North Carolina, South Carolina is completely different in appearance, and its cities from what I understand are not doing as well as other major cities in the South, though like the rest of the South they definitely are growing. In short...South Carolina to me is better for a tourist destination than it is for a permanent living area. Charleston, Columbia, and Hilton Head are good for a visit...lol...ok...actually...what am I thinking, scratch Hilton Head from being just a good place to visit...THAT is a place i would definitely LOVE to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.