U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM

31 posts, read 38,694 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Me and my husband are currently living in a Greater Boston Area, where we moved almost a year ago (he was born here and then lived in FL and AL, I am from Eastern Europe, lived in AL for a year too).
While I love many things about Boston, we are thinking about moving in a few years (after my husband will be done with his education and we gain some professional experience). I love Boston and think is very beautiful, but I am sick and tired of real estate prices. Also people don't seem to bee too friendly. And everyone drives like a maniac. Ugh!
So what other cities are good for jobs (cause Boston is definitely is), entertainment, meeting new friends?I have degree in applied statistics and my husband will be a manufacturing engineer.
We both love going out to eat,to the movies, going to concerts, I love fashion and art, my husband loves sports. I am a city girl and nothing makes me happier and then a sight of skyscrapers (downtown Chicago - perfection!). It has to be walkable too!
We would like to stay on the east coast. So what cities would you recommend that are cheaper than Boston but still offer a lot?Chicago(I know it's not on the East Coast, but I heard many good things, and die to visit), Philadelphia, Washington DC?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:30 PM

5,938 posts, read 5,438,083 times
Hmmm. Well if high real estate prices, bad drivers and unfriendly people are dealbreakers, that rules out NYC! j/k

Chicago does sound like a good fit for you. It is not East Coast but it has an East Coast sensibility somewhat. It is also a big city that is still walkable. It is affordable as far as big cities go. I'd also think maybe Milwaukee could be a good fit in the Midwest?

But back to the East Coast. The hangup here is you want both "cheaper than Boston" and "lots of skyscrapers". Do those 2 things exist together in that end of the country? I think not. Philly comes close. Its certainly a pretty city that is walkable, but I don't think it has a big skyscraper-y skyline. But jobs-wise, I dunno.

If you want some skyscrapers but could live with not a lot, I'd think about maybe going a little further into the Southeast, perhaps Atlanta or the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina - which should have lots of engineering jobs and friendly people.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,427,656 times
Tinawina, if you haven't been to Philadelphia since they abrogated the gentlemen's agreement about not rising higher than William Penn's hat, then your skyline impressions are out of date! Philadelphia does indeed have quite a skyline these days, although it lacks the astonishing beauty of Boston's as seen from the Cambridge embankment. Philly could be a good choice for lots of reasons, especially cost. As someone noted in another thread on the Boston forum, Philly is popular with hipsters because it is cheap (hipsters being a derogatory term but I use it here just to mean artistic young adults who want to be part of an urban scene.)

Chicago is a very sophisticated place but I think a distinguishing mark is how it lacks an east coast sensibility--i.e., not as class conscious, less emphasis on background and credentials and connections.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM

5,938 posts, read 5,438,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Tinawina, if you haven't been to Philadelphia since they abrogated the gentlemen's agreement about not rising higher than William Penn's hat, then your skyline impressions are out of date! Philadelphia does indeed have quite a skyline these days, although it lacks the astonishing beauty of Boston's as seen from the Cambridge embankment. Philly could be a good choice for lots of reasons, especially cost. As someone noted in another thread on the Boston forum, Philly is popular with hipsters because it is cheap (hipsters being a derogatory term but I use it here just to mean artistic young adults who want to be part of an urban scene.)

Chicago is a very sophisticated place but I think a distinguishing mark is how it lacks an east coast sensibility--i.e., not as class conscious, less emphasis on background and credentials and connections.

LMAO! That was truly funny!

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. Philly has a skyline bit I don't know if its as big as she wants. Boston's stretches out a little more I think. It is really pretty though. I there a lot of engineering stuff around there? I would guess in South Jersey maybe? That's do-able.

I agree about Chicago, that's why I said 'somewhat" East Coast sensibility. I think it has a urbane type of cultural sophistication/options and a big city bustle more common on the East, but it has the down-to-earth Midwestern sensibility otherwise.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM

4,128 posts, read 4,144,593 times
Well here's the good and bad news

1) the good news is that boston as a metro area is high and although I wouldn't say it's immune from the housing drop it means everything will be cheaper (for the most part)

2) Since there's no end in sight you probably will be better to rent then buy.

There's some things you haven't exactly said though that can change quite a bit. Are you planning to have kids? If so you should look for a good school system. Would you rather live in a city or the suburbs? How about public transportation?

I was thinking maybe Baltimore..it's cheaper than dc and certainly warmer than boston. Still have the coastline.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:06 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiestGirl View Post
Hi everyone,

Me and my husband are currently living in a Greater Boston Area, where we moved almost a year ago (he was born here and then lived in FL and AL, I am from Eastern Europe, lived in AL for a year too).
While I love many things about Boston, we are thinking about moving in a few years (after my husband will be done with his education and we gain some professional experience). I love Boston and think is very beautiful, but I am sick and tired of real estate prices. Also people don't seem to bee too friendly. And everyone drives like a maniac. Ugh!
So what other cities are good for jobs (cause Boston is definitely is), entertainment, meeting new friends?I have degree in applied statistics and my husband will be a manufacturing engineer.
We both love going out to eat,to the movies, going to concerts, I love fashion and art, my husband loves sports. I am a city girl and nothing makes me happier and then a sight of skyscrapers (downtown Chicago - perfection!). It has to be walkable too!
We would like to stay on the east coast. So what cities would you recommend that are cheaper than Boston but still offer a lot?Chicago(I know it's not on the East Coast, but I heard many good things, and die to visit), Philadelphia, Washington DC?
Thank you!
If you're looking for a built-up downtown, fashion, the arts, sports, walkability, job availability, friendly people and a less expensive place, you're going to have to leave the East Coast. Philadelphia lacks the friendliness and sophistication you're looking for and DC also lacks the friendliness along with the downtown skyline and affordability.

Chicago would be the next closest match geographically though I would also urge you to at least visit Denver. I think you could be pleasantly surprised by how well it matches your criteria.

Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 AM

31 posts, read 38,694 times
Thank you everyone!Well, I'm not gonna move somewhere just because they have skyscrapers =) I like them, but I can definitely live without them! But I do want the urban area. As for kids - yes, I plan on having kids, but not for another 5 years (at least).
Atlanta is out of question - been there, didn't like it at all. So is New York - lots of jobs, but average rent is over 3000 - no thank you!
Another question - is there an urban area in Florida that fits my description?Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa?

Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM

56,660 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Perhaps Atlanta or Charlotte, if you are looking in the South. Philadelphia might not be a bad idea and possibly Miami too.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,513,072 times
Philadelphia is a beautiful city and it's considerably cheaper than Boston. It has a great skyline, and if you like the style of Boston, you'll be able to enjoy Philadelphia too....the problem is they may be a little too similar...and if you're trying to escape Boston because the people aren't friendly enough, Philadelphia isn't the answer haha.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,343,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post

Philly does indeed have a fantastic skyline, one of the best in the US. Although I disagree the bolded comment above, I think Philly's skyline is much pretty than Boston's. It is more edgy, cosmopolitan, and contemporary than Boston. Boston's skyline is much too uniform, especially the financial district. The Pru is hideous, the only ones mentioning is the John Hancock and new State Street building. I like Philly's dimensions, glass, and the crowns on the Liberty Place towers.

That said, being from Boston I feel right at home in Philly, feel like a brother. Many simalarities between the two cities include large historic districts with brownstone townhomes, large Italian and Irish population, Abundant mass transit, and rabid sports fans. Philly is a bit more affordable. The only downside is I feel Boston is a bit safer, Philly has some abysmal looking ghetto's , especially when viewed from riding commuter trains going through them and even Center City has pockets of riff raff. However Philly does have plenty of options for safe and desirable neighborhoods in the city and suburbs. If I had relocated to Philly I would find it to be a very easy transition from Boston.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 01-19-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or