U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 AM

369 posts, read 863,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
did you actually read the list?? Dallas got more votes than Orlando and Baltimore and yet they were ranked ahead of Dallas. MiAMI got less votes than DC and Boston but was ranked ahead of those too. Hence the wow, how the heck are they ranking that thing
I see what you mean.

A lot of those poll things do not sort.
They just display the selections in the order they were entered
by the guy that started the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM

371 posts, read 518,742 times
Only because I've been to the Big Apple and not any of your other major cities like L.A., but: New York City.

A fond memory when we went there back in 2004 was when we were on our way back to the airport, at the end of our trip: Some crazy guy tried to offer us a ride in his crappy vehicle claiming he charged the same as the taxis did. So my mother pulled over a taxi and asked what their rates where, and the taxi drove off.

Irrelevant, but we stayed at a 14-floor hotel (without the 13th floor) with one working elevator.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:03 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yankees are abrasive and tell you to your face, Southerners talk behind your back.
It depends what Southerners you mean. I came from a lower-class "backwoods" part of the South and in my experience they're much more candid and upfront than Midwestern people. They were maybe not "abrasive" about it but they could be quite direct. My did still has a tendency to say "I'm sorry dear, but that dress makes you look like a giant cupcake" or the like. Others "down home" would say things like "You're an okay gal, but I never wanted you marrying my brother because I still don't like Catholics." They would talk behind people's backs, but the cases I knew of it concerned people they would avoid. So it wasn't "I'll be nice when I'm with you and critical when I'm away from you" it was more like "I'll be critical when I'm away from you and I don't ever want to be near you unless I have to." So they may put a polite flourish to it, but you usually knew how they felt about you.

My mother actually found that hard to deal with at first. She sort-of preferred people talk behind her back and I kind of understood that in a way. Words could really hurt her and she'd been raised poor in a fairly snobby Midwest town so she'd had enough of that. So I think her thinking was if they were only grousing behind her back at least she wouldn't have to deal with being berated and demeaned in public. Still she did adjust and like how it meant you knew where you stood with people. (Although I think some of the blatant public humiliation of people was something she never entirely liked.)

I gather with Upper-Class or "Old South" (Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas) people it's different.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-23-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 AM

4,467 posts, read 8,440,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin96 View Post
Only because I've been to the Big Apple and not any of your other major cities like L.A., but: New York City.

A fond memory when we went there back in 2004 was when we were on our way back to the airport, at the end of our trip: Some crazy guy tried to offer us a ride in his crappy vehicle claiming he charged the same as the taxis did. So my mother pulled over a taxi and asked what their rates where, and the taxi drove off.

Irrelevant, but we stayed at a 14-floor hotel (without the 13th floor) with one working elevator.
Gotta love NY lol. We don't have time for nonsense.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It depends what Southerners you mean. I came from a lower-class "backwoods" part of the South and in my experience they're much more candid and upfront than Midwestern people. They were maybe not "abrasive" about it but they could be quite direct. My did still has a tendency to say "I'm sorry dear, but that dress makes you look like a giant cupcake" or the like. Others "down home" would say things like "You're an okay gal, but I never wanted you marrying my brother because I still don't like Catholics." They would talk behind people's backs, but the cases I knew of it concerned people they would avoid. So it wasn't "I'll be nice when I'm with you and critical when I'm away from you" it was more like "I'll be critical when I'm away from you and I don't ever want to be near you unless I have to." So they may put a polite flourish to it, but you usually knew how they felt about you.

My mother actually found that hard to deal with at first. She sort-of preferred people talk behind her back and I kind of understood that in a way. Words could really hurt her and she'd been raised poor in a fairly snobby Midwest town so she'd had enough of that. So I think her thinking was if they were only grousing behind her back at least she wouldn't have to deal with being berated and demeaned in public. Still she did adjust and like how it meant you knew where you stood with people. (Although I think some of the blatant public humiliation of people was something she never entirely liked.)

I gather with Upper-Class or "Old South" (Virginia, Georgia, the Carolinas) people it's different.
I agree; I think people tend to exaggerate the whole southerns being fake. Southerners can be just a blunt as northerners; however, we come across as less harsh and not as quick to speak our mind. Talking behind people's back is a nationwide issue and not just in the south.

I feel southerners are more mature and less aggressive than northerners and lots of outsiders see that as weak and fake. It's not that; it's just that we were taught manners and if we can avoid a confrontation we will. Northerners have a tendency to speak their mind about the smallest things and say it in a rude way; while southerns will probably let things slide or just ignore the issue.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM

423 posts, read 495,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Gotta love NY lol. We don't have time for nonsense.
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.