U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times

Advertisements

The Black Hills I believe were sacred to the Sioux. The churches associated to Martin Luther King Jr I assume are spiritual to someone. Mormonism started in the US and I think most of their "sacred places" are still in the US. The Mother House of the Christian Science faith is in Boston I think. Somewhere in New England anyway.

As a Catholic there are monasteries in the Ozarks and probably Appalachia that are very "spiritual" to me. Mountains have a certain je ne sais quois, in that I don't know how to describe it, and I wanted to be a monk for the longest time. I still think about it on rare occasions. Also in Appalachia or the Ozarks most are Protestants so Catholics really have to think of their faith rather than just be complacent.

Maybe someday I'll visit the Trappist monastery in Kentucky, Gethsenami monastery I think, where Thomas Merton resided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,036,932 times
In my personal opinion, deserts are the likely places of origin for monotheism. In harsh places of little food and water one can feel an unsettling sense of being at the mercy of nature or something larger than yourself. The long wide open vistas and emptiness can encourage thoughts about " the big questions". Maybe it's psychological.

The Bible and Quran both come from desert. Jesus went to pray in the desert and all that.

Lush forested areas provide plenty, life can be easy, and the trees block the view, there's a sense of safety in the forest around and above. A lot of old European pagan pantheons came from the greener places, off the top of my head from anthropology class , forest peoples often have religions of gods and spirits for every stream, spring, tree, rock, or whatnot.

Just a theory based on personal impressions.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I straight up thought Santa Fe, New Mexico right off the bat.

Santa Fe, NM is where legends and myths and tales and stuff are told and the famous dream catchers are weaved and stuff like that. It's more like the Aztec or Inca type of spirituality that still remains there
The Inca never came to within 5,000 miles of Santa Fe. That would be like trying to get the 'Egyptian type spirituality vibe' in Sweden.

The Aztecs were a couple of thousand miles from Santa Fe, too.

Just sayin.

The spiritual vibe I get in Santa Fe is capitalism with a shade of Catholicism. Outside Santa Fe, there is an even healthier dose of Catholic vibe in places like Chimayo or down in the valley in Tome, both major pilgrimage sites in the region. Most Native American groups in the region keep their spiritual places and practices covered except for a very few public feast days. Most of the NA stuff you see is meant to capitalize on wealthy Americans and Europeans who come to Santa Fe for vacation. Crystals and dreamcatchers are commodities in my opinion, not foci of spirituality.

As for a more generalized sense of spiritual vibe, I get it from running or moving water such as streams, rivers and the surf, or from glades or groves. These places can really exist anywhere in the world. I know them when I'm in them.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,199,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Inca never came to within 5,000 miles of Santa Fe. That would be like trying to get the 'Egyptian type spirituality vibe' in Sweden.

The Aztecs were a couple of thousand miles from Santa Fe, too.

Just sayin.

The spiritual vibe I get in Santa Fe is capitalism with a shade of Catholicism. Outside Santa Fe, there is an even healthier dose of Catholic vibe in places like Chimayo or down in the valley in Tome, both major pilgrimage sites in the region. Most Native American groups in the region keep their spiritual places and practices covered except for a very few public feast days. Most of the NA stuff you see is meant to capitalize on wealthy Americans and Europeans who come to Santa Fe for vacation. Crystals and dreamcatchers are commodities in my opinion, not foci of spirituality.

As for a more generalized sense of spiritual vibe, I get it from running or moving water such as streams, rivers and the surf, or from glades or groves. These places can really exist anywhere in the world. I know them when I'm in them.
When we're in Santa Fe, it has nothing to do with the NA stuff nor Catholicism. I don't really pay any attention to either when I'm there other than it being interesting to look at, just part of the backdrop. For me, it's the just the place itself. I don't have to be in town to enjoy it. Just driving up the mountain roads, or sitting out on a mesa watching the sun rise or set does it for me.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 AM

56,648 posts, read 80,952,685 times
This could work: Hill Cumorah & Historic Sites

Welcome to Palmyra, New York, Queen of Canal Towns!

HISTORIC PALMYRA of Palmyra, New York

Old 01-21-2011, 09:12 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
church.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM

730 posts, read 2,017,379 times
I felt very close to God when I stepped out of the crowded streets of NYC into St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,797,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
If you're into Christian type things then you can go to Colorado Springs, and I went there and saw the World Prayer Center. I also went to Littleton, CO where I saw the grave of Rachel Scott, the girl who got shot and killed at the Columbine High School shooting and I thought that was spiritual.

Colorado also has Boulder, while I haven't been there, it is very New Age I heard and people there work with crystals and alternative medicine, which is a form of spirituality in a sense.
I don't much care for Colorado Springs as a whole -- too Religious Right and too military for me, not to mention all the sprawl -- but I did fall in love with the little town of Manitou Springs just to the west. It's much more counterculture with a distinct Native American flair, and I got something of a spiritual vibe when I visited... but maybe that's just me. I also liked Green Mountain Falls up in the foothills about ten miles outside Colorado Springs... I once stayed at a very rustic lodge up there and got a feeling from the place I don't quite know how to describe, like I had returned to a simpler time and was closer to Nature or something like that.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM

9,433 posts, read 18,339,314 times
I wonder if this thread had a poll if Santa Fe would top the list. Perhaps the combination of catholisism, Native American spirituality being connected to the earth, the art, and the landscapes all conjur up that sort of thing. I'll be visiting there soon. Perhaps Santa Fe is different things to different people. Like walking past a Bikram Yoga studio there is symbolic of capitalizing on spirituality. Some people come back from Santa Fe feeling recharged and moved by its character. Others such as skeptics seem more suspicious calling Santa Fe a parody of itself. Just some observations I've seen on local threads there.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 AM

13,223 posts, read 17,966,293 times
I don't have a spiritual place so much as a moment. Driving on the Interstate late at night with light traffic is when it happens. The best is when I'm far away from any major population centers, and there's nobody else on the road with me except maybe some overnight 18-wheelers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.