Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,937 times

Advertisements

Hey there

I am an Aussie girl in mid 20s about to make the big move to the States.

I work in Advertising - and I am able to get a move with my company that is in several cities - the problem is, I just don't know which one to choose!

I can go NYC, Chicago or Boston ....

Obviously all of these are fairly expensive cities and there are pros and cons of each. I would like to live somewhere that I am going to be constantly meeting new people & staying active with the outdoors - yet still have enough money to survive on at the end of each month! Since I will not know anyone - socializing is important

Any advice I would love to hear!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 05:58 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Chicago would edge out the other two in terms of cost of living and friendliness in my opinion. Meeting people/making friends will be important and I think Chicago has more the tendency to be open-armed toward newcomers. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 06:02 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I think the weather will be a huge change for you. Prepare for winter in all these cities! That being said, Chicago is worse than Boston weather wise. Of the 3 cities, I'd pick Boston. NYC is highly overrated IMHO.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM

209 posts, read 590,235 times
You should find out first of all whether your company would pay you a higher salary if you work in their New York office than if you work in Boston or Chicago. The cost of living in New York is so much higher than other big cities in the US that it is not uncommon for there to be a cost of living differential in salaries from city to city within the same company.

Even if you would be paid more in New York, you need to do your research to find out if you can afford to live there on your salary and still be able to afford the other things you want to do. As a newcomer, you probably will want the convenience and the experience of living in Manhattan (where you will no doubt be working too), but that will cost you.

If you are outgoing and active, you won't have trouble meeting people in any of these cities. All three are crawling with single people in their 20s who are looking for the same experience you are.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Chicago would edge out the other two in terms of cost of living and friendliness in my opinion. Meeting people/making friends will be important and I think Chicago has more the tendency to be open-armed toward newcomers. Good luck!
I moved to Chicago specifically because it's not that friendly and you can just do your own thing. I haven't made any friends here yet, and I'm satisfied with that.

If you're really looking to meet people I'd suggest NYC; I think there's a lot more interaction there.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijj1c View Post
why would anyone move to chi cago?
ok then, so anyway...

Old 01-22-2011, 06:14 AM

63 posts, read 131,850 times
I prefer Melbourne to Sydney so that may explain why I preferred Chicago to NYC. But its winters will kick your ass and it's not as easy to make friends as in NYC. Give Boston a miss. Check craigslist.com to an idea of rental costs in different neighborhoods. To live is to fly all high and low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.