Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 AM

110 posts, read 587,729 times

Advertisements

I am from Canada and have graduated with a degree in Finance. I really like the United States and would like to live there permanently.
And also for the people who go to school in the states, are they allowed to get jobs?
I want to contribute and enjoy the best country in the world.

O say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight
O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 AM

Anybody know?!?!?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM

434 posts, read 1,650,937 times
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. Do you want to continue your education here or work here, or both?

To get citizenship through a job here, first you'll have to get a job to sponsor your green card.

If you want to continue your education here, you'll get a student visa, then once you graduate, you have so long (forgot how long) to find a job to sponsor you.

My husband came here on a student visa but got the green card when we got married (he was finishing up his schooling). If we hadn't married, he would have been able to get a job to sponsor him no problem since his field is predominately foreigners.

Right now he just has the green card, but ultimately he does want to get citizenship because he wouldn't have to give up his Dutch citizenship (if you can keep your native country's citizenship, it depends on the country in which you were born). Our kids have dual citizenship so that was one benefit of making sure he kept his Dutch citizenship.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 PM

What if I go to US, and make money from the Internet, or do something entrepreneurial like selling a product?

Old 07-20-2007, 12:18 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,884,332 times
No, no one is allowed to have any jobs in America. The Democrats are outlawing prosperity.

But seriously, you have a finance degree. Where do you want to work? Boston? Chicago? Charlotte? San Francisco? Find a company that wants you enough to sponsor your working visa/green card.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,650,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
What if I go to US, and make money from the Internet, or do something entrepreneurial like selling a product?
You probably would need to have the green card first, and have it not tied to a specific employer. For example, my hubby is here on a green card, and he could do something like that because his green card was based on our marriage, not his employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.