U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM

423 posts, read 497,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
When it comes to trains systems what i admire about nyc is the express local service. I find 2 track one way service to be boring. This video shows what im talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBvSyKirBfI

the one main thing that makes me pick nyc over anything. Thats unless off coarse their are other systems in america that have this??

As for dirt. Luckily most of nyc subway stations are going through renovation so i know in a few years the whole dirty subway thing will be memories as the subways are cleaner now compared to years ago and becoming more cleaner daily.

Philly has one line where its local and express trains. Also theres a portion of the Chicago el that has a four track alignment.

Other than that NYC is the only city with that feature.
The reason newer systems don't have it is because poor city planning and unline NYC, which most of its underground were built using the cut and cover method, you gotta bore tunnels and that is extremely expensive, which is why the second avenue subway thats being built right now in Manhattan will only have one track in each direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,881,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
Philly has one line where its local and express trains. Also theres a portion of the Chicago el that has a four track alignment.

Other than that NYC is the only city with that feature.
The reason newer systems don't have it is because poor city planning and unline NYC, which most of its underground were built using the cut and cover method, you gotta bore tunnels and that is extremely expensive, which is why the second avenue subway thats being built right now in Manhattan will only have one track in each direction.
yo do you have videos of that philly/chicago el express/local service. Ive always tried to look but cant find them. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 PM

956 posts, read 1,778,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I find it hard to place Chicago and Philadelphia because they both have very good systems but suffer from hideous crime in certain areas of the city.
I can't speak for Philadelphia(as I haven't visited that city since I was something like 1-2 years old, and extremely badly want to visit it for what will be a 'de-facto' 1st visit for me very soon, like in the next few years), but I can say that Chicago's public transit system(made up of CTA, Pace, and Metra) is extremely safe. Murders all but never happen on any of the 'L lines, even the ones that go through shady neighborhoods(i.e. Red Line and Green Line on the south side, west side, and the Pink and Blue Lines on the west side). Last murder on any 'L line was years ago, and I don't think there were more than 1-2 murders(tops, and I wanna say it was just 1 murder on the 'L for the entire 2000s, which took place on the Green Line) on the ENTIRE 'L system throughout the 2000s. What's ironic, is the only time anyone ever attempted to rob me was on the Brown Line(which luckily, I just somehow talked my way out of being robbed, and discouraged the guy from targeting me any further), and that's supposed to be considered one of the safest 'L lines.

I've also ridden bus routes through not-so-great neighborhoods, and I myself have never once gotten robbed, nor have my friends. So I don't think you should be so quick to paint Chicago's public transit system as dangerous.

Pace(suburban bus system) and Metra(commuter rail system) are also particularly safe, as well. (and particularly the latter)

Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 AM

22,243 posts, read 23,751,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Spade honestly there is no way that the SF transit system is better than Philly's and seriously it isnt even close, in some ways I might put Seattle ahead of SF overall, I agree overall Philly is behind NYC (obviously, Chicago, and Bosto, the Metro in DC is excellent but Philly overall to me is actually better with the buses and regional rail included though that may change) SF still as an overall system is behind the big five (NYC, Chicago, Boston , DC, Philly) significantly
I think I'd put Philly and SF about on par. Both are a little bit underwhelming (Philly for being one of large, dense east coast cities; SF for its supposed commitment to progressive policies including transit), and I think SEPTA should get a few points docked for how antiquated some of their system is (seriously needs to move towards consolidated farecards and away from tokens--this is more than just an inconvenience issue). Are you maybe only factoring in BART, but leaving out MUNI and Caltrain, in your comparison?

Seattle is a different story because its bus system, general efficiency, cleanliness, and coverage are all pretty great, but its light rail lines are pretty limited right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or