U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 PM

759 posts, read 1,671,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
okay you are making up bull crap now.
No, everything I said was 100% correct. I think you just like to argue for argument's sake.
Quote:
detroit was rather small until about 1880. Its population grew steadily up until 1910's when it took off phenomenally. by the 1950's it was already dying. So the LA type growth for Detroit lasted only 3 or 4 decades, not 200 years.
This is entirely wrong. Detroit was booming in the 50's and 60's. In fact, it drew hundreds of thousands of whites and blacks from the Sunbelt during these decades.

Back to my claims; I said Detroit grew for 200 years, which is true.

And I said that Detroit was the fastest growing city on earth 60 years ago, which is true.

I have no idea what "LA-type growth" means, since LA barely grows some years. Detroit grew non-stop for 200 years, so is this what you mean?

Do you mean super rapid growth? Detroit from about 1890 to 1950 grew as rapid as any place on earth. It went from a small town to 4th biggest city.

And LA was NEVER the fastest growing city on earth like Detroit. Detroit was basically the Dubai of the 1920's.

Now what exactly are you disputing?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 PM

759 posts, read 1,671,651 times
Quote:
Houston's growth:

50's- 342K
60's- 296k
70's- 363k
80's- the bad decade I was talking about
90's- 323k
00's- 352k
You still don't get it, do you?

You know those investment commercials? What do they say?

Past Performance Is No Guarantee Of Future Performance!

Understand this phrase, and you will get why folks are highly skeptical of your palm-reading 50 years into the future!

Detroit grew by 250k-400k per decade non-stop for 70 years!

A million things could happen to Houston. Mexican migration could decrease, the port could suffer, taxes could rise, oil could be replaced, the state could go broke, a natural disaster could occur, corruption could stifle the region, etc. etc.

This is why it's absurd to make long-term predictions. There could be no U.S. in 50 years! What's the point about arguing city populations in 2061, when we can't even agree on city populations in 2011?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 AM

624 posts, read 1,204,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
You still don't get it, do you?

You know those investment commercials? What do they say?

Past Performance Is No Guarantee Of Future Performance!

Understand this phrase, and you will get why folks are highly skeptical of your palm-reading 50 years into the future!

Detroit grew by 250k-400k per decade non-stop for 70 years!

A million things could happen to Houston. Mexican migration could decrease, the port could suffer, taxes could rise, oil could be replaced, the state could go broke, a natural disaster could occur, corruption could stifle the region, etc. etc.

This is why it's absurd to make long-term predictions. There could be no U.S. in 50 years! What's the point about arguing city populations in 2061, when we can't even agree on city populations in 2011?
No one is saying it's for sure, we're just saying that it's possible and not that far fetched.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
No one is saying it's for sure, we're just saying that it's possible and not that far fetched.
Ohio, just loves making a lot of noise about nothing in particular

Old 01-29-2011, 03:40 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Honestly, anything after 10 years is far fetched.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly, anything after 10 years is far fetched.
they could be right, they could be wrong, but there ain't nothing wrong with speculating.

If the speculation is based on trends, history, patterns, then nothing is far fetched with that.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:21 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
they could be right, they could be wrong, but there ain't nothing wrong with speculating.

If the speculation is based on trends, history, patterns, then nothing is far fetched with that.
I never said there is something wrong with speculation because it's basically fun to talk about it. However, it's far fetched because too much can change after 10 years. I can understand 2020 and maybe just maybe 2025. But 2030 is nothing more than fun and speculation as it gives us something to talk about. But to treat it as definitive is not reality. We do not simply know.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never said there is something wrong with speculation because it's basically fun to talk about it. However, it's far fetched because too much can change after 10 years. I can understand 2020 and maybe just maybe 2025. But 2030 is nothing more than fun and speculation as it gives us something to talk about. But to treat it as definitive is not reality. We do not simply know.
variables can vary widely in anything where speculation is involved. But no one here is treating anything as definitive.

I for one said that if anything is going to happen it is not likely to to happen anytime soon:

Quote:
I totally agree with you for a change. The same benfits that would make Houston bigger in the future exists in LA. I don't think the distance between the two can be bridged in the next 60 years

Old 01-29-2011, 10:52 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,535,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
That means if history holds true, which it noramally does, Houston could gain another 4 million to 6 million people in 75 years. That would bring the city of Houston to around 7 million to 8 million population. The metro would easily be around 12 million or so, or a little more. That is a very attainable number for Houston reach. I also believe that I am being really conservative with my numbers. I actually think Houston will be there around 2050-2060.
Saying Houston will have a population of around 4 million by 2050-2060 is somewhat reasonable to predict because that's what it would be if current population increases sustain.

But a population of 7 to 8 million 75 years from now? That is incredibly far fetched and there isn't a single reason anyone could state that would possibly make that a reasonable projection, since that would require increases in population growth rates that there is zero basis for.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,122,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The biggest concern in Houston is storm surge, not hurricanes. Granted being further inland than Galveston may be Houston's saving grace if ever a Cat 5 were to hit, Houston would sustain plenty of wind damage no doubt, but nothing like Galveston would see...ever.

Don't think Houston is important? I guess thats why they chose to send that woman who got shot from your state of Arizona over here to Houston for medical treatment right?

Get some decent hospitals there then come talk your smack.
Talk smack? What kind of "smack" am I talking? Please stop using high school terms and learn to debate in a respectable manner.

"That woman" who got shot from my state was transported to Houston because that's where her husband and children LIVE. She didn't have to travel all the way to Houston because there are no decent hospitals closer. She could have been fully rehabilitated in Phoenix. Nice try, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.