U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM

388 posts, read 474,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
It would not surprise me if Houston City limits pass the Chicago city limits in population by 2023, and both the Houston and Dallas metro areas pass Chicago metro area by 2030 -2035. And it's only a matter of time until Texas passes California in population, by 2040 is my guess. Seems like anymore everybody has relatives in Texas. The future of the country is in Texas. 20 or 30 years ago, was there anybody who thought Austin would pass Detroit in population?
The problem is California is growing pretty rapidly too. They got hit with the dot com bust and the housing bubble, but now they have finally shaken that off after a decade and are growing again pretty vigorously. Sure the percentage gains aren't as high, but the numerical gains are really similar just check the 2012 census estimates. California is HUGE, economically diverse, the center of world technology, world entertainment, etc. Texas can never build mountains, varied climates, Central Valley, Redwood forests, Yosemite, etc etc. California also is a massive oil producer. California is situated for the trade with Asian nations which will be booming over the next century more than anywhere else. Need I go on? So sorry, the future is not "in Texas," nor is it even in California either. They will continue to be two rapidly growing states with large populations. Texas can never build the things California has, and even what they build still isn't comparable. Detroit has been losing population for a half a century, that just isn't the case with Cali. Texas is a cool place, it has awesome cities with great future, but Texas isn't and never will be what California is. Sorry.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:29 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,147,169 times
Los Angeles is too dynamic. It's not going to be overtaken by Houston.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:16 PM

801 posts, read 859,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You make it seem like that was so long ago.
There are cities in this country that haven't annexed anything since the early 1800's.
What I'm trying to say is, Houston hasn't annexed anything for 20 years. Acting like Houston is going to annex the entirety of SE Texas tomorrow is a little crazy. Yes, Houston's city limits are larger than Philly's, but we must also recognize that Houston is making strides to improve the interior, which includes denser urban areas, more life downtown, better public transit, more diversification in the economy, etc. The impression I get in C-D is there's nothing good in Houston and the city is making no good decisions.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,465,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
What I'm trying to say is, Houston hasn't annexed anything for 20 years. Acting like Houston is going to annex the entirety of SE Texas tomorrow is a little crazy. Yes, Houston's city limits are larger than Philly's, but we must also recognize that Houston is making strides to improve the interior, which includes denser urban areas, more life downtown, better public transit, more diversification in the economy, etc. The impression I get in C-D is there's nothing good in Houston and the city is making no good decisions.
Lack of efficient zoning laws doesn't help.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:02 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Well, I know for one, that I am leaving Chicago within 2 years. I am moving out West...

Illinois sucks as a state because Chicago runs its politics and Chicago is filled with leaches to society, horrible pension funds, horrible unions, people without value for life, a plethora of no real education in the K-12 sector, leaders who are in prison, corruption, crime off the charts...Chicago is on a fast track to be the next Detroit. It's horribly run.
Many in Illinois share your sentiment and my family is looking at places down south. The taxes are killing them. I know my dad is thinking Louisiana. But he says his time is winding down in Illinois.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,094,812 times
Houston will eventually stop growing like EVERY SINGLE MAJOR CITY does.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:12 PM

8,548 posts, read 8,877,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post

Happens to the best of them. Like the housing bubble was never going to burst....

Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,106,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
It won't be for a long, long time...

Houston is BOOMING right now.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,106,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
As long as Houston has the ability to annex more land, it will always be in the conversion. I do think at some point, most residents of Houston will start care even less about their city's population number or where their population rank is.
Houston hasn't annexed any land in the past 17 years.

Kingwood, Texas was the last town to be annexed adding a whopping 15,000 people to the millions in Houston already.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:26 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,422,869 times
Who's to say that Houston doesn't have another decade like the 1980's? I mean, if we are to extrapolate the past 4 decades then there were three decades of growth and one of decline.

That one decade of decline means that Houston will never catch LA. It's possible but not probable to catch Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.