U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 PM

675 posts, read 1,002,478 times

Advertisements

I don't understand, Houstonians don't typically create these threads but people love to chime in and bash Houston and any poster who dares stick up for the city. I'll say this, I have met PLENTY of people from NY or Chicago and other cities that moved here and LOVED IT. That's neither here nor their. Houston is growing very rapidly financially, population and global importance.... They Stunning things is that the best has yet to come... With ongoing infrastructure improvements and the expansion of the panama canal, Houston hasn't even reached it's peak level of growth. With that said, I doubt the Metro ever passes LA... but Chicago, yes.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 AM

591 posts, read 640,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Funny. I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for this forum I wouldn't devote 10 seconds a day to thinking about Houston.
Amen.

Check out the hip urban neighborhoods in Houston like Neartown/Montrose, Midtown, River Oaks, Galleria, et al. on Google Streetview. You'll barf.

Nothing like Buckhead, Scottsdale, Coral Gables, or Cherry Creek Village in Houston, despite what posters on this forum lead you to believe.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:20 AM

1,367 posts, read 1,364,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
If Houston was to have 3X its population its because something of value their has brought in that population. Houston should pass Chicago by the next census or two. Los Angeles, probably not our lifetime but Houston does have a huge Wildcard factor.

We all know that the Panama Canal expansion is ongoign right now and this will greatly help Houston. Let's say that Houston repositions its marketing strategy and goes after the up and coming companies in central and south America. If you are a top company in Brazil your American HQ will naturally be in Houston, Argentina, etc. etc. Houston formally re brands itself as the "Gateway to the Americas". If that was to happen and ALL of the other city variables (arts, mass transit, education, infrastructure, urbanity, etc.) start to also improve then YES we could see Houston as a top 3 city in terms of population AND Importance.

What those outside of Houston don't realize is that that very reality is a lot closer than the rest of the country thinks. We already seeing it happening.
I can't see Houston getting any higher than the fourth or fifth city regarding level of national influence.

New York is well...New York

Los Angeles-The Pacific Rim will be at the forefront of economic power for many decades to come, (Port of Long Beach) is big time when it comes to import/exports to Asia. Los Angeles is well connected to the nations railroad network.

Chicago- Chicago is the lifeline of our nations bulk commodity exports. Every major class 1 railroad in the US (which includes two in Canada) all converge in Chicago. It's a Midwest city with a major port that see's a majority of bulk shipping (Grain, Ore, etc.) as opposed to container shipping ports.

I cannot see Houston touching these three cities in level of influence/importance. If we bring in CSA's then Houston may get bumped further down the list. But as in city propers, 4th tops!

Old 07-18-2013, 01:51 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,135,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I can't see Houston getting any higher than the fourth or fifth city regarding level of national influence.

New York is well...New York

Los Angeles-The Pacific Rim will be at the forefront of economic power for many decades to come, (Port of Long Beach) is big time when it comes to import/exports to Asia. Los Angeles is well connected to the nations railroad network.

Chicago- Chicago is the lifeline of our nations bulk commodity exports. Every major class 1 railroad in the US (which includes two in Canada) all converge in Chicago. It's a Midwest city with a major port that see's a majority of bulk shipping (Grain, Ore, etc.) as opposed to container shipping ports.

I cannot see Houston touching these three cities in level of influence/importance. If we bring in CSA's then Houston may get bumped further down the list. But as in city propers, 4th tops!
I'm sure that's what Philly was saying too when Houston passed it up for 5th largest MSA recently.

Houston is 500,000 people shy of being larger than Chicago & growing at 2.88% versus Chicago's 0.7%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.