U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Reputation: 7598

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Does it matter that L.A. has always been a magnet because of geography (mountains, beachs etc), the weather (near perfect) and show business and those things probably won't change while people move to Houston mostly for the economy/job market and low cost of living which are not so permanent attractions?

If the attractions in Cali are so permanent then why are people leaving???

 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,111,625 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Does it matter that L.A. has always been a magnet because of geography (mountains, beachs etc), the weather (near perfect) and show business and those things probably won't change while people move to Houston mostly for the economy/job market and low cost of living which are not so permanent attractions?
LA's area beaches aren't so great. The water is not very clear either. Kinda murky blue & the weather is too cool.

Houston area beaches are not good for swimming though thousands of people do bathe in the Gulf ever Summer because its much warmer than the waters of the Pacific.

Out of US beaches nothing beats Florida's except for Hawaii.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Texarkana
674 posts, read 1,347,778 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Some posts above were deleted. Here's a reminder from the Terms of Service:
Thank you Bo because this threaded needed it.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,201,573 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If the attractions in Cali are so permanent then why are people leaving???
People are also coming. The growth mostly comes from International places so it is still growing, just not much domestic migration. When things level off, that will change.

Its because the economy fell on hard times and things got too expensive. However, that is not a permanant thing. California has natural beauty that I dont think any other state can really match (not saying there arent other states that are beautiful) and a moderate climate year round on the coast. Things arent going well for them now, but that will change in due time.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,318,361 times
Reputation: 4270
Houston is not ever going to be the 2nd largest city or metro, period.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Houston is not ever going to be the 2nd largest city or metro, period.
Thank you for clearing that up god.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
People are also coming. The growth mostly comes from International places so it is still growing, just not much domestic migration. When things level off, that will change.

Its because the economy fell on hard times and things got too expensive. However, that is not a permanant thing. California has natural beauty that I dont think any other state can really match (not saying there arent other states that are beautiful) and a moderate climate year round on the coast. Things arent going well for them now, but that will change in due time.
International immigration is keeping a lot of traditional entry points afloat.

Places like NY, LA Miami, will for sometime be in okay standings because they are major entry points.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Texarkana
674 posts, read 1,347,778 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
thank you for clearing that up god.
lmao!
 
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Houston is not ever going to be the 2nd largest city or metro, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Thank you for clearing that up god.
oh cool, Min-Chi has a direct link? ask him who should I bet on for the SuperBowl.

also my Pizza isn't here yet and it has been more than half an hour. Can you please ask the G man when he thinks it will get here? I's gots to eat yo.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Chicago
721 posts, read 1,573,388 times
Reputation: 449
Can we not talk about Houston anymore? All of these threads are the same. Houston is going to have 'x' amount of people in year 'x'! Houston's growth will obviously slow down, and anyone who thinks it won't is a fool. When Houston has to focus on infill instead of just throwing up new subdivisions, the population growth will slow drastically. I don't care how "desirable" the inner loop is, a city built in such a way as Houston can only spread so far.

If Houston does surpass Chicago, it's not going to happen for a while and it will only be on a city level. Houston hasn't even surpassed the Dallas metro yet . I get all the Houston posters are proud of their "unnatural" growth, but it's not going to last forever. As far as surpassing L.A, that couldn't be more crazy. L.A is nearly twice the size of Houston city-wise alone. As I said before, the vast majority of Houston's population lives outside of the inner loop...not in the "dense" inner loop. Houston isn't building many multi-family homes. Once the city has been completely built out, which won't be too much longer, the population is going to stagnate. I don't know how many more times I could say that, and I don't really care to say anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top