Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
obviously that many people can fit in the space, but currently there are what like maybe 5 census tracts that even hit that number today, even the newer urbanist development is typically closer to 7-8K which wont even get it there, so you are saying the Houston will become a dense urban city and attract people looking for cheaper housing and space, somehow these arguments dont match up
you are forgetting the huge swaths of empty land all over the place (even inside the loop). also you are ignoring the high density developments going up all over the place.

so it will attract people seeking either type of housing schemes.

Quote:
also the last 60 years, well look at the 80 years leading to 1950, whatever on this.
what about it?

Quote:
I also believe LA has slowed as it's density increased.
exactly that is why I said it was a better example.

Quote:
but on the 12K density in Houston proper, so you are saying the whole city will reinvent itself
It does not have to reinvent itself, no zoning remember? Higher density living springs up anywhere. I posted an article about it a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
and will become densly developed and continue to attract people looking for cheap housing and space
yes.

Quote:
... good luck with those roads with that density, also where are you gonna park all those cars
we will have flying cars in a few years.

Quote:
and you basically have to triple or quadrouple th density of everything already built. I agree Houston will continue to grow but these numbers for the city are not even realistic.
They are more than realistic, we think big round these parts, that is why we have not slowed

Quote:
Honestly HTOWN how many census tracts today are at 12K, the whole 550 sq miles will need to be to hit that number, that number doesnt pass the sniff test, sorry
You are low balling it and ignoring the parts that are higher

take 100 sq miles and set it at 22k ppsm- that gives you 2.2M
take another 150sq miles and set it at 16K ppsm and you get 2.4M
take 125sq miles and set it at 12K ppsm and you get 1.5M
Take 150sq miles at 10k ppsm and you get 1.5M
Take the rest at 8kppsm and you get 0.5M

you don't have to have uniform density. Houston develops randomly

Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
20K ppsm, in Houston, a million folks living that way??????????????

HTOWN, sharpen that pencil, you are talking Brooklyn like at that level, more dense than SF and Boston with a higher population, again, this does not pass the sniff test, or all my time in Houston they have been hiding where these one million folks live

seriously, so you are talking one million folks in Houston living in greater density than this neighborhood?

Philadelphia aerial | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jesisamess/88684398/ - broken link)
go read the post and then read it again.
okay let me re read it for you.

I said 1M people live in that area. I did not say 1M people live in a density of 20k ppsm. the next thing I said was that that area has spikes up to 20k ppsm.

I think I will have to come sharpen you pencil for you. Or maybe take you to an eye doctor

Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
I've commented on this before, but I'm still amazed at all the Houston speculating. Really, why speculate 40-70 years into the future? Can someone explain to me why this is relevant? A city may surpass Chicago's population in 2050 - maybe we should live in the present and not spend so much time hoping that someday Houston passes Chicago. Do you know how much can happen between now and then????

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
A category 5 hurricane could go right at houston and I think that would prevent alot of growth in the long run for this city.. Its better off than New Orleans was, but still... Its very likely a major hurricane will slam into Houston in the next 40 years and cause many issues..

Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,603,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
A category 5 hurricane could go right at houston and I think that would prevent alot of growth in the long run for this city.. Its better off than New Orleans was, but still... Its very likely a major hurricane will slam into Houston in the next 40 years and cause many issues..
Houston is much more prepared and better off than New Orleans in reference to hurricanes. Galveston is also helping by shoring up and extending in height and length the world's longest seawall. Also, Houston(Texas) and New York City are getting these huge retaining walls being built further out at sea to prevent storm surge and subsequent damages from flooding. DANNYY referenced that earlier. And to my earlier post about Houston gaining 4-6 million people over the next 60 years I was going off the current trend and using L.A. as a comparison.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Detroit is not in the sunbelt and Houston hasn't stopped growing since the 1920's.
Eh, Detroit didn't stop growing for 200 years. And Houston stopped growing in the 80's.

And 50 years ago, the Sunbelt was the Rustbelt! Things change!

My point is you can' predict a half-century in the future. If you did this 50 years ago (just take current growth and extrapolate), then Detroit would be the #2 city in the country.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:11 PM

758 posts, read 1,961,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
those are all frost belt cities, sunbelt cities follow a different pattern. The better comparison would have been LA.
Again, you don't know a thing about 50 years in the future. For all you know, North Dakota will be the next boom state. Too hard to predict a half-century in the future.

And, if Houston follows LA's growth, then it will have much, much, slower growth. LA's growth rate is a fraction of its former growth rate. Some years it barely grows.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Again, you don't know a thing about 50 years in the future. For all you know, North Dakota will be the next boom state. Too hard to predict a half-century in the future.

And, if Houston follows LA's growth, then it will have much, much, slower growth. LA's growth rate is a fraction of its former growth rate. Some years it barely grows.
did I say anything about knowing about the future? you must be psychic and seeing it before I write it.

I mentioned the past stop acting like I said I know the future.

oh my good.
and did any one say that Houston would follow LA's current growth rate?

did you even read any of the posts or just glassed over them? or are you just out to say whatever comes in your head.

someone mentioned history and they were comparing it to the northern cities which all flatlined in the 50's

I said that was a poor example because the sunbelt didn't flatline in the 50's they took off.

how can you get LA's current growth rate from that?? seriously people.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Eh, Detroit didn't stop growing for 200 years. And Houston stopped growing in the 80's.

And 50 years ago, the Sunbelt was the Rustbelt! Things change!

My point is you can' predict a half-century in the future. If you did this 50 years ago (just take current growth and extrapolate), then Detroit would be the #2 city in the country.
okay you are making up bull crap now.

detroit was rather small until about 1880. Its population grew steadily up until 1910's when it took off phenomenally. by the 1950's it was already dying. So the LA type growth for Detroit lasted only 3 or 4 decades, not 200 years.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Houston's growth:

50's- 342K
60's- 296k
70's- 363k
80's- the bad decade I was talking about
90's- 323k
00's- 352k

That is the history people are talking about. It is not rocket science to go to the census website and look this crap up. I don't know what people would make silly comments like LA is growing slower now and all that nonsense that is not even related to what we are talking about. Gosh

All the poster was going by is that Houston gains about 350K a decade and that the sunbelt experienced different types of growth from the frost belt since 1950's so the frostbelt was a bad comparison and that LA is a much better one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.