U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 AM

624 posts, read 1,162,217 times

Advertisements

I think that we can all agree that it's only a matter of time when Houston should pass Chicago in city population considering nothing freakish happens in the future. My question is do you think that Houston has the potential to pass up LA in the future in city population? Before giving a NO answer consider the city zoning in Houston, scarcity of water out west, and also consider how much more undeveloped land remains in Houston, add these three to the equation and I myself believe that Houston can very well rise to the #2 position. If Houston densifies (which is inevitable IMO) and the zoning doesn't change I believe Houston should pass LA in the next 60 yrs., what do you guys think?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:31 AM

818 posts, read 1,098,645 times
I find it a bit "weird" that you create so many Houston threads but none for Dallas. Why is that? Houston passing up LA is less likely than Dallas passing up San Diego, San Antonio, Philly, and Phoenix. Houston IMO is the best rounded city in the south but I dont think it will pass LA

Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
I find it a bit "weird" that you create so many Houston threads but none for Dallas. Why is that? Houston passing up LA is less likely than Dallas passing up San Diego, San Antonio, Philly, and Phoenix. Houston IMO is the best rounded city in the south but I dont think it will pass LA
And I find it a bit weird that you are a "Cali" boy and yet only give generalizations of the place never any specifics. BTW the reason I do not put up Dallas threads is because I don't want to be looked as a homer as some others on here have gotten that reputation for repeatedly posting of their home town.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 AM

818 posts, read 1,098,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
And I find it a bit weird that you are a "Cali" boy and yet only give generalizations of the place never any specifics. BTW the reason I do not put up Dallas threads is because I don't want to be looked as a homer as some others on here have gotten that reputation for repeatedly posting of their home town.
Look I waited years to leave the place, I didn't like my life there it was too slow and I never had the "Cali" mindset. The city was ok but it wasn't what I was looking for in a place. I am where I want to be now

As a Dallasite do you really have this much confidence in Houston becoming the second largest city in the country? Houston's chances of passing Los Angeles are less likely than Dallas's chances of passing all of the following; San Diego, San Antonio, Philly, and Phoenix.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,931,647 times
Houston boosters will make the city reach the number number 2 spot just to brag that Texas houses the second most populous city in the country. It's the Texas way. I wouldn't be surprised if more annexations along with migration pushes Houston over 3 million in the next 30 years or so.

That said, Houston is at risk for a hurricane, which could have the same emptying effect that Katrina had with New Orleans. Additionally, no matter how many people Houston adds, it will not replace Chicago or Los Angeles in importance. Chicago has simply been a hub for the middle of the country for too long to be replaced by Houston. Los Angeles in the center of the entertainment industry and that will not change either.

Houston having more people than LA or Chicago will hold the same significance that San Antonio having more people than San Francisco, Denver, or Seattle has. Really, little to none.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Look I waited years to leave the place, I didn't like my life there it was too slow and I never had the "Cali" mindset. The city was ok but it wasn't what I was looking for in a place. I am where I want to be now

As a Dallasite do you really have this much confidence in Houston becoming the second largest city in the country? Houston's chances of passing Los Angeles are less likely than Dallas's chances of passing all of the following; San Diego, San Antonio, Philly, and Phoenix.
It does not concern me if Dallas passes up those cities, besides our metro carries more weight than any of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Houston boosters will make the city reach the number number 2 spot just to brag that Texas houses the second most populous city in the country. It's the Texas way. I wouldn't be surprised if more annexations along with migration pushes Houston over 3 million in the next 30 years or so.

That said, Houston is at risk for a hurricane, which could have the same emptying effect that Katrina had with New Orleans. Additionally, no matter how many people Houston adds, it will not replace Chicago or Los Angeles in importance. Chicago has simply been a hub for the middle of the country for too long to be replaced by Houston. Los Angeles in the center of the entertainment industry and that will not change either.

Houston having more people than LA or Chicago will hold the same significance that San Antonio having more people than San Francisco, Denver, or Seattle has. Really, little to none.
I never did say that Houston would become more important, I am simply talking city population here, both you guys don't seem to be looking at the big picture that I put in my original post.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,263,728 times
Third city ahead Chicago would be huge, don't you think ????
Second it's possible because LA is in very bad shape and that will last many years, but many decades will be neccessary for that.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Third city ahead Chicago would be huge, don't you think ????
Second it's possible because LA is in very bad shape and that will last many years, but many decades will be neccessary for that.
Yes, that is why I gave it a 60 year spance in order to catch up, BTW I really don't feel that Houston passing up LA is that far fetched as some people have said.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,217,721 times
Quote:
Yes, that is why I gave it a 60 year spance in order to catch up, BTW I really don't feel that Houston passing up LA is that far fetched as some people have said.

If Houston does catch up and pass Los Angeles in population I think it would be closer to 75 years. I like the thread. It makes me really think of how the migration of our country is really going in the future. Cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, Phoenix, Atlanta and even Albuquerque are going to get alot more migration/growth.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,931,647 times
Quote:
I never did say that Houston would become more important, I am simply talking city population here, both you guys don't seem to be looking at the big picture that I put in my original post.
I'm looking at the big picture. It confuses me that you throw in the threat of LA running out of water while ignoring that Houston has just as high of a chance of being heavily damaged by a hurricane.

Also, I'm confused about what influence zoning has over population growth. Zoning will not limit how big Houston gets. The only thing that will limit the size of Houston will get is if it the city is eventually boxed in by suburbs and experiences build out within the city. That won't happen ANYTIME soon, so I do not see any limitations to Houston's growth potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.