Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 PM

726 posts, read 2,146,946 times

Advertisements

I think most people are in general pretty surprised to hear that Denver has a pretty mild climate. But it is everchanging meaning it may snow overnight tonight but will likely be near or above 50 tomorrow (with 60 the next day). While I know that's not exactly break out the swimsuit weather it isn't the bone chilling place a lot people would imagine. As everyone else said Denver is extremely sunny, rarely will you see an entire day be cloudy. It is dry with very low humidity. As far as "creatures" I have seen garter snakes, spiders, etc. I grew up in Ontario, Canada and see about the same size bugs etc. Denver is probably one of the safest cities and really is a lot of fun to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 AM

617 posts, read 1,201,675 times
I'd look into San Jose, CA or maybe San Diego. Great weather and not much for critters. Only drawback is the housing prices are steep, but they have come down over the past few years.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:47 PM

7 posts, read 6,238 times
I was just going to ask, what about California! DH really would like to stay on the West side if it's possible (house prices and cost of living not too, too high). How are the people?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
I'd steer clear of the Southern states. Don't underestimate the combination of hot and humid and loooong summers. I'd agree with the above person who suggested Denver. Also Salt Lake City. But honestly you sound like California types, as long as you're prepared to navigate the housing costs.

The people in California are pretty nice, but not quite as overflowing with kindness as I have found Canadians to be. The closest you'd come to that stateside is around Minnesota where the climate is also very Canadian!

Actually I find the Rocky Mountainers to be very friendly in a Canadian-esque way, so that's another point in favor of Denver and Salt Lake (and FYI Salt Lake is a very tolerant and progressive city; there are definitely Mormons but they are not the majority, it's a place for everybody).

My personal favorite mountain town out west is Flagstaff, Arizona (yes it can be cool and mountainous even in Arizona!), but that is definitely not a "major city," so, probably not what you're looking for.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:50 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
California's great, but if you're looking for low-cost of living and affordable houses you're looking at the wrong state (not to mention an economy that's even worse than most of the country). Maybe somewhere like Sacramento could work.

Since you're going to need a visa, I'd cast the net as wide as possible. It's tough enough to get a job these days even if you are a citizen.

How about Utah? I know very little about Utah so that recommendation is not coming from any kind of personal experience, but I'm assuming it's cheaper than California, I think the economy there is doing better, and it might fit some of your other wish list items. St. George (in southern Utah) is known for its nice weather and it is (was?) one of the fastest growing areas in the country (so not "major" yet, but perhaps on its way).

Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
Why would you want to leave Canada for the U.S.? Canada is a massively better nation with a much higher quality of life, better economy, lower crime, more opportunity. I'd move to Canada in a second if I could get a visa. If you're sick of winter, why not just head for Vancouver or Victoria? You don't have to move to the States to escape the cold. Of course, Vancouver is almost as rainy as Seattle. Southern Ontario is very warm by Canadian standards.

If you have to head for America, I'd second the suggestion of California. San Diego sounds like it would suit you guys well. Maybe Sacramento.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The main issue with Minneapolis would be the winter weather. I don't know if it would be that much of an improvement over where they are. Other than that it could be a good fit.

Is work an issue? Can you legally work in the United States? If getting a visa connected with a job is an issue you're going to have a tougher time in this economy, and will probably want to keep your options as flexible as possible.

I agree that Minnapolis is not the best for Winter weather, I live there but am working on moving. Tired of the 6 months of cold/snow and the mosquitoes in the summer are annoying.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 AM

17 posts, read 98,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Why would you want to leave Canada for the U.S.? Canada is a massively better nation with a much higher quality of life, better economy, lower crime, more opportunity. I'd move to Canada in a second if I could get a visa. If you're sick of winter, why not just head for Vancouver or Victoria? You don't have to move to the States to escape the cold. Of course, Vancouver is almost as rainy as Seattle. Southern Ontario is very warm by Canadian standards.

If you have to head for America, I'd second the suggestion of California. San Diego sounds like it would suit you guys well. Maybe Sacramento.
All nations have their flaws, Canada is certainly not excluded. America has much more diversity, opportunity, varied climates, BEACHES. There are many reasons somebody would want to move to America.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
They want a house for less than 300k in a good public school district (not to mention a job and the accompanying visa); that's not going to happen in San Diego.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:55 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,394 times
Of course I am a Denver biased homer so I am quick to recommend it, but Utah has some amazing scenery a lower COL. St George/Hurricane Utah's Dixie is a great up and coming area with mild winters and nice people. I find it to be very outdoor oriented and it's location allows for that quick Southern California getaway. I have been passing through the area for years, and always thought it would be a nice, albeit somewhat slow lane place to live. If you like hiking,mt biking..pretty solid.Zion National Park and Vegas are two areas within reach as well.

I should have read your post a little closer though; there are scorpions and spiders...usually warm weather does equate to being around a few of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.