U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM

7 posts, read 5,368 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get some opinions on possible states that I should look at. I have quite a few criteria, so I know I might not find something to fit the bill exactly. We're just in the early stages, and at this point still thinking about it, but I'd really appreciate some opinions!
The main reason we're looking to relocate is the weather here. We are just sick of the -30 degree, 6 month long, 3-feet-deep-in-snow type winters. And looking for a change of scenery as well.

- We're looking at somewhere that doesn't have an insane cost of living. We would be looking to buy a house, and would prefer to spend no more than $300 000 at the very most (but the lower, the better).
- A good school system. Private school may or may not be an option, depending on the cost. Our children are not yet of school age, but will be in a couple years.
- Family friendly
- We don't mind hot weather, but I when I think of Texas for example, I don't know if we'd survive that kind of heat.
- I know this might seem like a small thing to a lot of people but I am really leary of living somewhere that has a lot of pests. Snakes, spiders, roaches, scorpions, etc. I'm seriously not crazy about. Keep in mind that I'm moving from a place that doesn't have roaches, big spiders, fire ants, nothing like that. Oh, and I've never seen a snake in real life that wasn't behind glass. Not even a garter.
- I want to live somewhere friendly. I want to live near polite people (I'm well aware that not everyone will be polite, no matter where you go).
- The lower the crime, the better.
- I'd like to live in a pretty major city (if they have an NHL team, all the better)
- We've thought about Seattle, but I hear it's quite dreary, rainy, etc. and I would really like to live somewhere sunny.
- And as a bonus: We're currently living in Western Canada so if it was somewhere that doesn't require a ridiculously long flight back 'home', it'd be great.

Okay, that's all I can think of for now.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM

285 posts, read 556,744 times
Denver is a growing city with a reasonable cost of living. If you are in to the outdoors Colorado is beautiful and an excellent state for skiing, hiking, and just about any other outdoor activity you could imagine. It is also one of the sunniest cities in the U.S. and does not have the extreme heat that many places in the southwest have.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 AM

21,229 posts, read 30,461,228 times
[quote=CassiaM;17549511

- We're looking at somewhere that doesn't have an insane cost of living. We would be looking to buy a house, and would prefer to spend no more than $300 000 at the very most (but the lower, the better).
- A good school system. Private school may or may not be an option, depending on the cost. Our children are not yet of school age, but will be in a couple years.
- Family friendly
- We don't mind hot weather, but I when I think of Texas for example, I don't know if we'd survive that kind of heat.
- I know this might seem like a small thing to a lot of people but I am really leary of living somewhere that has a lot of pests. Snakes, spiders, roaches, scorpions, etc. I'm seriously not crazy about. Keep in mind that I'm moving from a place that doesn't have roaches, big spiders, fire ants, nothing like that. Oh, and I've never seen a snake in real life that wasn't behind glass. Not even a garter.
- I want to live somewhere friendly. I want to live near polite people (I'm well aware that not everyone will be polite, no matter where you go).
- I'd like to live in a pretty major city (if they have an NHL team, all the better)
- We've thought about Seattle, but I hear it's quite dreary, rainy, etc. and I would really like to live somewhere sunny.
- And as a bonus: We're currently living in Western Canada so if it was somewhere that doesn't require a ridiculously long flight back 'home', it'd be great.

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

I would second Denver. It's surprisingly sunny (around 300 days per year) and receives not as much snow as you might think due to being shielded by the Rocky Mountains which run right into the west side of the city. Check out the suburb of Highlands Ranch which has excellent schools/amenities, lots of choices in your price range and it's very safe. There are also very few insects/pests to worry about. The Denver area IMO is very friendly. Of course Denver is also home of the always competitive Colorado Avalanche of the NHL. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 AM

56,802 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiaM View Post
I'm hoping to get some opinions on possible states that I should look at. I have quite a few criteria, so I know I might not find something to fit the bill exactly. We're just in the early stages, and at this point still thinking about it, but I'd really appreciate some opinions!
The main reason we're looking to relocate is the weather here. We are just sick of the -30 degree, 6 month long, 3-feet-deep-in-snow type winters. And looking for a change of scenery as well.

- Family friendly

Thanks!!
What about Minneapolis/St. Paul? They love their hockey there and the unemployment rate is pretty low. There are plenty of flights out of the Twin Cities as well. denver would be a good fit as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,442,909 times
The main issue with Minneapolis would be the winter weather. I don't know if it would be that much of an improvement over where they are. Other than that it could be a good fit.

Is work an issue? Can you legally work in the United States? If getting a visa connected with a job is an issue you're going to have a tougher time in this economy, and will probably want to keep your options as flexible as possible.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM

17 posts, read 74,490 times
Charlotte NC has most of what you are looking for, but if you want an NHL team Raliegh has the Hurricanes

Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The main issue with Minneapolis would be the winter weather. I don't know if it would be that much of an improvement over where they are. Other than that it could be a good fit.

Is work an issue? Can you legally work in the United States? If getting a visa connected with a job is an issue you're going to have a tougher time in this economy, and will probably want to keep your options as flexible as possible.

Thank you for the replies! I will definitely look into Denver. My only 'concern' with it though, is that it might not be different enough for us! I did some quick research on it, and although I'm sure there are plenty of differences (well I mean, obviously... different country and all ), but we might be looking for something a little warmer all year round. We'll definitely still consider it though.

In regards to work, I honestly haven't looked into immigration laws at all or anything like that just yet. Currently I have a dayhome (private), and DH is in Property Management, although he has a strong background in Financial Management. I think he would be open to trying other areas as well.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM

6,528 posts, read 7,485,723 times
If your sick of 30 below, sick of 6mo long winters I can give you a list of places to rule out. Minnesota, both Dakotas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Montana, Maine, upstate New York and obviously Alaska. These states all have a harsh climate that any Canadian would recognize. Good low cost of living, and a warm climate can be found in the southeast. Check out Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas. I think youll find what your looking for there. The people are nice, houses are very cheap and the citys of the south are growing and new. The only thing these states have that you may not like is the snakes and bugs you mentioned in your post. Obvioulsly the farther south you get, the worse the creepy crawlys are. The only parts of the US that dont have alot of snakes and bugs are the states I listed earlier as ones to avoid if you dont want to freeze for 6 months.

Last edited by danielj72; 01-24-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If your sick of 30 below, sick of 6mo long winters I can give you a list of places to rule out. Minnesota, both Dakotas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Montana, Maine, upstate New York and obviously Alaska. These states all have a harse climate that any Canadian would recognize. Good low cost of living, and a warm climate can be found in the southeast. Check out Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas. I think youll find what your looking for there. The people are nice, houses are very cheap and the citys of the south are growing and new. The only thing these states have that you may not like is the snakes and bugs you mentioned in your post. Obvioulsly the farther south you get, the worse the creepy crawlys are. The only parts of the US that dont have alot of snakes and bugs are the states I listed earlier as ones to avoid if you dont want to freeze for 6 months.
Yeah... That's what I was afraid of. LOL

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM

56,802 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Another possibility could be Nashville, as it has a good economy and an NHL team. It is warmer, but I'm not sure about the critter thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or