Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 7,802 times

Advertisements

Well this is going to to somewhat long, but I want it to describe where I would like to live and was hoping I could get some advice. Anyways, I currently live in Albuquerque NM and I hate it. I grew up here and have gone to school here, and it's finally time to leave. I'm 24, male, no kids (or strings attached lol), I have a BA in sociology from UNM and still want to further my education. I like urban culture (nice resturaunts, cool bars, fun people, etc...). I also like outdoors, but don't mind driving to get there. I like places with a lot of stuff going on at most hours of the day/ night and large cities. I have not setteled on a career yet, but I am kinda interested in law enforcement (local or federal).

I have visited California (so cal) and was indifferent about it, I really liked Nor Cal (San Jose/ San Francisco), but I don't think I could actually live there because of the insane taxes/ no jobs/ expensive cost of living. I lived in Denver for a few months and kinda liked it, but it seemed too spread out and an Albuquerque type feel to it. Although I did like how fit and upbeat the downtown area was along with the close nature aspect. Places that are green appeal to me (like trees and grass instead of dirt and sand). But the urban environment appeals great too. Weather isn't so much a factor, although I perfer warm, I'm not too picky.

So what Is everyones suggestions or input?
PS: I typed all of this on my iPhone so sorry about the spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Do you have a price range in terms of affordability?

Old 01-25-2011, 03:39 PM

Something under $1600/mo would be ideal. Probably renting until I made sure I wanted to say there and find a decent job

Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000rr View Post
Well this is going to to somewhat long, but I want it to describe where I would like to live and was hoping I could get some advice. Anyways, I currently live in Albuquerque NM and I hate it. I grew up here and have gone to school here, and it's finally time to leave. I'm 24, male, no kids (or strings attached lol), I have a BA in sociology from UNM and still want to further my education. I like urban culture (nice resturaunts, cool bars, fun people, etc...). I also like outdoors, but don't mind driving to get there. I like places with a lot of stuff going on at most hours of the day/ night and large cities. I have not setteled on a career yet, but I am kinda interested in law enforcement (local or federal).

I have visited California (so cal) and was indifferent about it, I really liked Nor Cal (San Jose/ San Francisco), but I don't think I could actually live there because of the insane taxes/ no jobs/ expensive cost of living. I lived in Denver for a few months and kinda liked it, but it seemed too spread out and an Albuquerque type feel to it. Although I did like how fit and upbeat the downtown area was along with the close nature aspect. Places that are green appeal to me (like trees and grass instead of dirt and sand). But the urban environment appeals great too. Weather isn't so much a factor, although I perfer warm, I'm not too picky.

So what Is everyones suggestions or input?
PS: I typed all of this on my iPhone so sorry about the spelling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have a price range in terms of affordability?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000rr View Post
Something under $1600/mo would be ideal. Probably renting until I made sure I wanted to say there and find a decent job

That kind of leaves it wide open. Is there any particular city or state that you desire or want to work?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Some places that I was roughly thinking of are Chicago IL, Washington DC, Seattle WA, Miami FL, NYC NY, Austin TX, and any other suggestions lol.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM

27,203 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Given your interest in law enforcement I think you couldn't do better than the NYPD. You can find decent housing in NYC within your budget. Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn have some nice choices, check out the neighborhoods of Morningside Heights or the Upper East Side (Yorktown/East End) in Manhattan, Astoria in Queens or Fort Greene in Brooklyn. Good luck!

Morningside Heights, New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Upper East Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Astoria, Queens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fort Greene, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-27-2011, 09:11 PM

Nice, thanks for the info and the links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.