U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Forgive me for sounding insulting but do the workers in the South show up on time, are they well trained, and sufficiently able to do the job? I know the public school system in the Southeast is not very good but the community college and technical programs there sound very good. I had heard stories about a Caterpillar plant moving to Arkansas and then moving back to Illinois because they couldn't get workers to show up on time and because the workers lacked the skills that the Illinois workers possessed. Caterpillar deserves to expand in right-to-work states but I was also pointing out that there are right-to-work states further west although I don't think we throw the sheer $$ amount of incentives that states like NC, SC and GA do to attract jobs.
This has GOT to be a joke. I thought it was May 1, not April 1. Surely you're not asking about the quality of the workforce in the Carolinas and Georgia based on that of one plant almost halfway across the country as somehow the two are related. I simply cannot be reading this right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
637 posts, read 1,033,327 times
Reputation: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Forgive me for sounding insulting but do the workers in the South show up on time, are they well trained, and sufficiently able to do the job? I know the public school system in the Southeast is not very good but the community college and technical programs there sound very good. I had heard stories about a Caterpillar plant moving to Arkansas and then moving back to Illinois because they couldn't get workers to show up on time and because the workers lacked the skills that the Illinois workers possessed. Caterpillar deserves to expand in right-to-work states but I was also pointing out that there are right-to-work states further west although I don't think we throw the sheer $$ amount of incentives that states like NC, SC and GA do to attract jobs.
Uh Oh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
 
Location: South Central Nebraska
350 posts, read 630,426 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This has GOT to be a joke. I thought it was May 1, not April 1. Surely you're not asking about the quality of the workforce in the Carolinas and Georgia based on that of one plant almost halfway across the country as somehow the two are related. I simply cannot be reading this right.
No it is absolutely not a joke. If I were an employer choosing Georgia or the Carolinas I would be concerned about the quality of the workforce, the workforce showing up on time, the skill level of the workers, and the work ethic and education level of the workers. Northerners are usually better educated and more productive that's why I would have second thoughts about building a plant in the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
No it is absolutely not a joke. If I were an employer choosing Georgia or the Carolinas I would be concerned about the quality of the workforce, the workforce showing up on time, the skill level of the workers, and the work ethic and education level of the workers. Northerners are usually better educated and more productive that's why I would have second thoughts about building a plant in the Carolinas.
Do you know what year it is? Are you not aware of what prestigious companies have headquarters and operations in the Carolinas and GA? Are you not aware that the largest research park in the world, some of the best educational institutions, some of the largest concentrations of foreign business investment, and one of the nations largest banks, and the world's busiest airport are in these three states? Did you just arrive in the 21st century from a time machine or something? I mean I don't know any other ways to put this as it has taken the cake for THE most asinine thing I've ever read on city-data.com. I know I've said this before, but those people were playing the antagonist. You actually believe what you're saying with all your heart. This is sickeningly sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
 
Location: South Central Nebraska
350 posts, read 630,426 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Do you know what year it is? Are you not aware of what prestigious companies have headquarters and operations in the Carolinas and GA? Are you not aware that the largest research park in the world, some of the best educational institutions, some of the largest concentrations of foreign business investment, and one of the nations largest banks, and the world's busiest airport are in these three states? Did you just arrive in the 21st century from a time machine or something? I mean I don't know any other ways to put this as it has taken the cake for THE most asinine thing I've ever read on city-data.com. I know I've said this before, but those people were playing the antagonist. You actually believe what you're saying with all your heart. This is sickeningly sad.
Mutiny I apologize for making an inference on the Arkansas incident I was just relating what I had heard and a prejudice that I have heard from other Northerners. I hope these industries can help replace the furniture and textile industries and the decline in agriculture as I know the region was hit very hard by the current recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,103 posts, read 13,491,061 times
Reputation: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, based on domestic migration rates and natural increase. And many manufacturing jobs don't need people with advanced degrees; the noted skills gap that exists can, in many cases (not all but many), be plugged with training and degrees obtained at community colleges. And the big manufacturing centers of the Midwest don't have any sort of considerable advantage over areas of the Sunbelt when it comes to advanced degrees. The areas of the Sunbelt that are experiencing rapid increases in the senior population aren't the manufacturing centers. Very interestingly, when you look at it by metro areas, you see cities with more high-tech and professional sectors like Raleigh, Austin, Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, etc. leading the pack and they are also known as cities with lots of educated young people, more so than the old industrial cities of the Rustbelt.

Well parts of the Sunbelt are quickly building the infrastructure necessary to be competitive talent pools in the near future, and of course you've got the closer proximity to ports (which could matter even more with the Panama Canal expansion). If anything, the debates over labor in the Midwest could result in a really definitive upper hand. Indiana, for instance, recently became a right-to-work state.
Birth rates have a LOT to do with international migration, and in the Sun Belt, it's almost entirely Hispanics/Latinos. Now that Mexican (Mexicans are by far the largest US immigrant group) immigration is reversing (more leaving the US than coming in) and the rest of them beginning to spread beyond the South, the Sun Belt is gradually losing this advantage as well.

ALL Sun Belt states are seeing rapid increases in senior population. I've seen the Carolinas brought up for manufacturing and they have exploding senior populations. And none of the actual jobs numbers reflect that those city you mentioned are leading manufacturing areas compared to the North. And the "Rustbelt" moniker is now outdated.

You do realize that the Great Lakes have direct access to the Atlantic, right, and that there are ports all through the area? This is not a competitive advantage for the Sun Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,103 posts, read 13,491,061 times
Reputation: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
It may not end even after 20 years, especially if northern cities continue an economic spiral. There are also so many advantages to living and working in southern tier states (better year-round weather most notably). In states where taxes are lower, commerce would only grow in those places. More businesses are choosing to set up shop down here and many families are planting roots. I won't rule out the possibility of migration leveling out, and it could, but I don't see it happening.

Now, if things up north improve in, say, five years, then you won't see as many people migrating southward. Not from up there, anyway.
Way to be 10 years behind on your knowledge of Northern economies. Hint: they're not spiraling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,103 posts, read 13,491,061 times
Reputation: 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Thanks for the link, but I'm still not seeing where they came from, and they don't match anything from the BLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,073,014 times
Reputation: 2275
Lack of water in some sunbelt areas is concerning. You can't keep building in the desert, without consideration to the future. Where is the water going to come from? There is a development in New Mexico that I'm aware of, that has severe water shortage issues...many vacant properties (due to lack of water). I don't know this development personally, but I work with someone who used to live there, and he's talked about this numerous times. I've forgotten the name of it, but I'll ask him today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,738,716 times
Reputation: 46028
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
No it is absolutely not a joke. If I were an employer choosing Georgia or the Carolinas I would be concerned about the quality of the workforce, the workforce showing up on time, the skill level of the workers, and the work ethic and education level of the workers. Northerners are usually better educated and more productive that's why I would have second thoughts about building a plant in the Carolinas.
After reading any number of your posts, I've decided that what you actually know about the South or Southerners wouldn't fit on the head of a pin. I mean, where do you get your information from? Old reruns of Dukes Of Hazzard?

I moved here from Illinois and found that that all the stereotypes that lazy people indulge in are decidedly untrue. Major manufacturers have put plants all over the map in my own state and continue to expand their operations over the years, which tells me that they're decidedly happy about the quality of the labor they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top