U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You obviously don't know what "e.g." means.

And what relatively large cities outside of Florida in the South that are retirement havens were high growth? Name a few.

This article is well over a year old, and even then, the place that gets specifically mentioned in the South is Fort Myers--a retirement haven. Again, a distinction must be made between those types of places and the true jobs centers. Yes the latter also suffer(ed) from bad housing markets, but the situation is completely different in places with little industry outside of service sector jobs catering to retirees and such.
Phoenix, Scottsdale, Reno, Las Vegas, etc.

Also, excluding Florida is kinda a big deal. It is not some small city, but a big state with a big population.

We both can agree there are a few cities in the sunbelt doing well. However, outside these cities, the area is the new rustbelt. It hasnt gotten a name yet to talk about its decline. Perhaps something to do with plants/fruits rotting, IDK. Im not the creative type.

Also, can you show that the sunbelt has dramatically improved in the one year since this article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Phoenix, Scottsdale, Reno, Las Vegas, etc.
Those are not in the South. You originally singled out cities in the South in particular. Here are the excerpts in your original post:

Quote:
Of course some areas in the South do have real economic activity, but as a whole it relied too much on minimum wage, or low paying service jobs...People will still retire to the South and they will need people to serve them at Bob Evans and Target, but without all the debt fueled buying and building the region has peaked.
Quote:
Also, excluding Florida is kinda a big deal. It is not some small city, but a big state with a big population.
Yes, but pretty self-contained and off to itself. What's going on there doesn't really affect much else in the region. And even then, parts of Florida are actually beginning to recover.

Quote:
We both can agree there are a few cities in the sunbelt doing well. However, outside these cities, the area is the new rustbelt. It hasnt gotten a name yet to talk about its decline. Perhaps something to do with plants/fruits rotting, IDK. Im not the creative type.
LOL at "the new Rustbelt." The dynamic is totally different and the Rustbelt suffered decline over several years. To count the Sunbelt out this early in the post-Recession era is pretty premature.

Quote:
Also, can you show that the sunbelt has dramatically improved in the one year since this article?
8 Cities with Surprising Job Growth - Yahoo! Finance

Downtrodden but Resurging U.S. Sunbelt Economies Likely to Surpass National Growth Rates

Top 10 turnaround towns - Miami (1) - CNNMoney

Charleston ranks No. 1 in growth of manufacturing jobs | The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment

Old 06-13-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Those are not in the South. You originally singled out cities in the South in particular. Here are the excerpts in your original post:

Yes, but pretty self-contained and off to itself. What's going on there doesn't really affect much else in the region. And even then, parts of Florida are actually beginning to recover.

LOL at "the new Rustbelt." The dynamic is totally different and the Rustbelt suffered decline over several years. To count the Sunbelt out this early in the post-Recession era is pretty premature.

8 Cities with Surprising Job Growth - Yahoo! Finance

Downtrodden but Resurging U.S. Sunbelt Economies Likely to Surpass National Growth Rates

Top 10 turnaround towns - Miami (1) - CNNMoney

Charleston ranks No. 1 in growth of manufacturing jobs | The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment
Ok, im sorry. I was thinking sunbelt, but I did fail to clarify that.

The sunbelt, including the southern parts, is the new rustbelt of the US. Like I said there are a few exceptions, and the growth is mostly from illegal immigrants who have lots of offspring.

I do hope the South recovers, but it needs a real economic foundation and not debt fueled bubbles. The world economy is on the verge of taking another downturn, and it could wipe out the fragile sunbelt economies which are overly reliant on services, construction, and tourism.

Hope it doesnt happen, but the events are out of our control.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:44 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:

The sunbelt, including the southern parts, is the new rustbelt of the US. Like I said there are a few exceptions, and the growth is mostly from illegal immigrants who have lots of offspring.

I do hope the South recovers, but it needs a real economic foundation and not debt fueled bubbles. The world economy is on the verge of taking another downturn, and it could wipe out the fragile sunbelt economies which are overly reliant on services, construction, and tourism.

You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

The growth in the Sunbelt "is mostly from illegal immigrants who have lots of offspring"??? That's a huge stretch and you don't even have a source for such a statement. Now is it true in certain parts of the Sunbelt? Yes (e.g., Los Angeles), but overall? No.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

The growth in the Sunbelt "is mostly from illegal immigrants who have lots of offspring"??? That's a huge stretch and you don't even have a source for such a statement. Now is it true in certain parts of the Sunbelt? Yes (e.g., Los Angeles), but overall? No.
No they account for most of the growth in the few cities that are doing OK. The parts suffering" most of the Sunbelt, they are not a factor.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
No they account for most of the growth in the few cities that are doing OK. The parts suffering" most of the Sunbelt, they are not a factor.
You have any stats to back up that statement?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,995,874 times
Quote:

Actually you've got this a bit backwards. It's cities like New York that are growing simply due to increased immagrant populations. Cities in the Sunbelt are booming because of the continued "out migration" of domestic born people from places like New York and Philly, etc. Here's a good recent article about the population boom in the sunbelt Population growing in

Old 06-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Actually you've got this a bit backwards. It's cities like New York that are growing simply due to increased immagrant populations. Cities in the Sunbelt are booming because of the continued "out migration" of domestic born people from places like New York and Philly, etc. Here's a good recent article about the population boom in the sunbelt Population growing in
Some places attract retirees but they also attract immigrants to service the retirees. However, you wanted to exclude Florida from the Sunbelt because it hurt your case. Either way a retiree economy built on immigration and housing is not a real economic foundation.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
Some places attract retirees but they also attract immigrants to service the retirees. However, you wanted to exclude Florida from the Sunbelt because it hurt your case. Either way a retiree economy built on immigration and housing is not a real economic foundation.
Again, can you actually back this up, or is it a personal theory?

Because the city I live in is getting more growth from transplants from other parts of the country than immigrants. And most of them aren't retirees.

This isn't a retiree economy, nor is it an immigrant economy. You have your facts wrong.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:11 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,813,738 times
Quote:

Are you kidding me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.