U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM

801 posts, read 859,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Lower cost of living is not true unless you're comparing it to say, parts of the Northeast or West Coast. The Midwest is cheaper. Almost all of the 10 cheapest states to live are in the North.

Heat may be the most overrated weather phenomenon ever.

60 years ago, how many of those "rust belt" states were thinking they would never experience significant decline? All booms end, and declines are inevitable. It doesn't have to be from similar circumstances, but sooner or later, even places like Texas are going to hit a wall. Places like Ohio and PA are on the rise again. Confidence in an outcome is the quickest way to completely wrong.
But it's not just lower cost of living or just heat. It's a combination of all of those characteristics that's causing people to move to the South. And lol @ heat being overrated. Retirees move down to Florida from the North every year to take advantage of the sunshine and warm weather.

Sure, the South will eventually stop growing. Does that mean they have to drop off and become irrelevant again? No. The Southern states have seen what happened to the Midwest, and I hope that the governments take note and avoid the mistakes that the Midwestern states made. But for most of history, the Midwest has done better economically than the South. Now in more recent times that trend has flipped, and the Southerners should be able to take pride in that while at the same time looking to the future and planning ahead. Who will be next to fall? Idk. It could be any region in the US. We'll just have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,738,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
But MOST people are similar to me. At least in regards to what type of climate they want to live in. Most people don't want to live in cold places, so the migration to the south will continue. The only sole reason why the North was populated back in the 19th century and prior is because air conditioning wasn't around back then.

FYI, Atlanta, Dallas, NC......These places all get four seasons too you know. The pleasant type of seasons too. The far north doesn't have four seasons. The far north has freezing, cold, and sweater-ish seasons.

And how can you say you don't like the people? Places like Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia have the rudest people in America. These cities are even known for their rude people.
At least you are fair and balanced in your "analysis." It would be easy to poke further holes into your biased mythmaking (air conditioning and not jobs, LOL!!!), but here's some truth - The southern migration is a recent phenomenon that occurred when northern manufacturing (jobs) collapsed. Everything happens in cycles, so I'm sure we'll see another shift or two before we die. There are already signs...

Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM

13,103 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Most people prefer mountains or some interesting topography over flat areas. Just look at responses to CA vs FL threads on here, where people complain about FL lacking topography.

Zonazoo, of course Miami is humid and flat, but I wanted to give a different city as an example.
Most of the South is geographically uninteresting and no less flat than the Midwest. People don't give a crap about geography. It's a bonus at best.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Yeah, I hear ya, but it seems that the Midwest is bashed for their weather and job market, and the South is bashed for everything. Education, racism, accent, conservatism, lower income per capita, just being the South, not being NYC, etc. One of the vs threads showed that other than NJ and CA, the South tends to be the most bashed region in the US.
It has a lot to do with the people here and the general media. Every single chance people get, the South is now held up as THE standard for just about everything, and all those very real problems you just brought up never seem to get mentioned. The South is NOT perfect. It has just as many problems as anywhere else, but they're always being ignored while every little problem is brought up for everywhere else.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
But MOST people are similar to me. At least in regards to what type of climate they want to live in. Most people don't want to live in cold places, so the migration to the south will continue. The only sole reason why the North was populated back in the 19th century and prior is because air conditioning wasn't around back then.

FYI, Atlanta, Dallas, NC......These places all get four seasons too you know. The pleasant type of seasons too. The far north doesn't have four seasons. The far north has freezing, cold, and sweater-ish seasons.

And how can you say you don't like the people? Places like Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia have the rudest people in America. These cities are even known for their rude people.
No, most people would NOT turn down a lot of extra money to live someplace mild or warm. MOST people would have the sense to live where they could thrive the most, and put on a damn jacket to handle the change in temps (it's really not that hard, despite what some ppl seem to think)!

Also, which states are "far North"? Does Minnesota count? How hot does it have to be to be considered "summer"?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
But it's not just lower cost of living or just heat. It's a combination of all of those characteristics that's causing people to move to the South. And lol @ heat being overrated. Retirees move down to Florida from the North every year to take advantage of the sunshine and warm weather.

Sure, the South will eventually stop growing. Does that mean they have to drop off and become irrelevant again? No. The Southern states have seen what happened to the Midwest, and I hope that the governments take note and avoid the mistakes that the Midwestern states made. But for most of history, the Midwest has done better economically than the South. Now in more recent times that trend has flipped, and the Southerners should be able to take pride in that while at the same time looking to the future and planning ahead. Who will be next to fall? Idk. It could be any region in the US. We'll just have to wait and see.
You remind me why I wouldn't want to ever live in Florida. Too hot, too old, too suburban.

Is it inevitable that the South declines? As an entire region, no, just as the entire Great Lakes/Midwest did not decline, though some seem to believe that. You certainly cannot sustain boom growth forever. Growth, maybe, but likely far more in line with other regions. And you will definitely have some places that will see actual decline.

I'm not sure I would agree that the South is doing better economically than the Midwest. The states with the lowest unemployment in the nation are in the Midwest. Lowest cost of living of the two regions: Midwest. Higher education levels: Midwest. Greater upward mobility: Midwest. Higher incomes: Midwest. What people don't know is the Midwest's greatest problem.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM

801 posts, read 859,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You remind me why I wouldn't want to ever live in Florida. Too hot, too old, too suburban.

Is it inevitable that the South declines? As an entire region, no, just as the entire Great Lakes/Midwest did not decline, though some seem to believe that. You certainly cannot sustain boom growth forever. Growth, maybe, but likely far more in line with other regions. And you will definitely have some places that will see actual decline.

I'm not sure I would agree that the South is doing better economically than the Midwest. The states with the lowest unemployment in the nation are in the Midwest. Lowest cost of living of the two regions: Midwest. Higher education levels: Midwest. Greater upward mobility: Midwest. Higher incomes: Midwest. What people don't know is the Midwest's greatest problem.
Just so we're on the same page, what states are you including in the Midwest and the South? I'm not disputing anything you said, just curious.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Just so we're on the same page, what states are you including in the Midwest and the South? I'm not disputing anything you said, just curious.
Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, and the Dakotas. Those are the states I've always seen as included in the Midwest.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,153,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
At least you are fair and balanced in your "analysis." It would be easy to poke further holes into your biased mythmaking (air conditioning and not jobs, LOL!!!), but here's some truth - The southern migration is a recent phenomenon that occurred when northern manufacturing (jobs) collapsed. Everything happens in cycles, so I'm sure we'll see another shift or two before we die. There are already signs...
No, the South's boom did NOT begin when when jobs in the North started to deteriorate. Florida, at the least, began to boom in the 1920s. This is the decade that AC was mass produced for those who could afford it. As soon as it was invented people started flocking to Florida by the hundreds of thousands.

Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scroll down to the demographics section and check out the decadal census records.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
I wonder if the invention of deet used to ward off mosquitos also helped? I know Gulf states have lots of mosquitos which tend to have encephilitis and malaria, especially as you get closer to the equator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.