U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM

13,093 posts, read 13,477,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
ummm? Are you even reading the commenting you are replying to?

My comment isn't about north, south, west or anything. It is mostly about why analysts often ignore or overlook smaller geographies when they disproportionately stable during recessions than larger states.

That has little to do with north vs south vs west...etc... There are also some fairly small states in the north as well.
I know that you weren't commenting necessarily on the North vs South. But considering the overall employment factor, the North is far more stable overall. Some states get hit harder than others, but are able to recover pretty fast, especially those that already have large companies and infrastructure. In any case, the state populations are pretty similar overall if you compare the largest and smallest of the South with the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:35 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,825,661 times
Mid-sized cities are the next growth area. Two reasons, one cost of doing business is less, and cost of living is less. Metros between about 500K and 1.2 mil. will do will in the coming decades, IMO.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:30 AM

6,562 posts, read 7,668,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I know that you weren't commenting necessarily on the North vs South. But considering the overall employment factor, the North is far more stable overall. Some states get hit harder than others, but are able to recover pretty fast, especially those that already have large companies and infrastructure. In any case, the state populations are pretty similar overall if you compare the largest and smallest of the South with the North.
It takes someone special to twist comments about why analysts often look overlook some less populated/small areas/limited economic diversification/political-created issues in their economic stability and turn it into a north vs south justification.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:12 AM

582 posts, read 1,199,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So in upstate NY, you have 4-5 months of winter, not all of which are getting "feet and feet" of snow, then a relatively nice 6-7 months. In the South you have 4-5 months of extreme heat and humidity with the threat of hurricanes/floods/drought/torndadoes, and in the winter they still see snow on occasion, as they have at least twice this winter and last winter also. I'm not really seeing a big difference as far as positives/negatives go. Weather is the most overrated reason to move to any region. Unless you move to San Diego, chances are there are going to be issues with the weather for parts of the year.

What you fail to mention about the south is that the winter that you are talking about only last a little more than 2 months. It's not about does it get cold, but how long does it stay cold. We have our 4 months of extreme heat then about 6 months of nice decent weather. there is only about 2 months where it's actually cold down here. Here in Atlanta, we rarely see the snow that we have seen this year. It's more of an anomaly than something that happens all the time. What's the temperature up there now? It's going to be 64 today in Atlanta.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:32 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,652,499 times
in nc it gets cold from about the end of oct/early nov-early march.

not just two months. i can't speak for atlanta tho, but i doubt atl is cold for only two months as well. i know ppl like to exaggerate, tho...and you have those that will rock shorts in 40 degree weather...

Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,997,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
What you fail to mention about the south is that the winter that you are talking about only last a little more than 2 months. It's not about does it get cold, but how long does it stay cold. We have our 4 months of extreme heat then about 6 months of nice decent weather. there is only about 2 months where it's actually cold down here. Here in Atlanta, we rarely see the snow that we have seen this year. It's more of an anomaly than something that happens all the time. What's the temperature up there now? It's going to be 64 today in Atlanta.
but Atlanta is nothing like San Diego or similar cities when it comes to weather. It actually does have a winter, a relatively mild one, but still a noticeable winter. It's also in the 60's today in Memphis and everyone is talking about how great it is because it hasn't been this warm in a very long time.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:40 PM

623 posts, read 1,023,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

not just two months. i can't speak for atlanta tho, but i doubt atl is cold for only two months as well. i know ppl like to exaggerate, tho...and you have those that will rock shorts in 40 degree weather...
Yes it starts to get cold about after Halloween. It's not a rule to stay cold throughout the winter though, weather is varied. Today is January 29th and it's 61 and sunny outside.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,578,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

Yes, it is an exaggeration. I live in the Atlanta area, and this region, on average, is somewhat chilly starting in mid-November to about Mid December. However, we are prone to cold spells within this stretch of time. From Late December to early March, it is typically cold. While we do experience a rare day with temperatures in the sixties, it isn't typical. Highs are usually from the mid 40s to low 50s, but we do often see sporadic weeks where the highs don't break the 30s or low 40s. It is during these times where we're apt to receive snowfall.

From Mid-March to Mid-April, the temperature fluctuates a lot. Generally speaking, it is chilly from Mid-March to late March, though we can experience warm spells or cold spells. We're really not in the clear for warmer weather until Mid-April. From Mid-April to early June, the weather is fantastic, with highs averaging from the high sixties to high seventies. It isn't until late June, into July, and on to about the third week of August, when the weather is hot and humid. After the latter date, it becomes much more tolerable. From early September to late September, it can be warm, but it is not oppressive. It's actually very nice. October to Mid-November, much like the Spring, is great.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM

13,093 posts, read 13,477,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
So you have 4 months of extreme heat and 2 months of cold, so that's six months of good, 6 months of bad. In in the North, it's the exact opposite, but still about the same lengths of good vs bad. It's really about what you are willing to put up with more. Cold or heat. And again, I think this is given way too much credit for the recent migrations. If cold had really been the issue, why didn't this migration happen decades ago? The North held the most population for most of this nation's history, and only relatively recently has there been a push to the south. People like to act like it's weather, but there are far more important factors involved.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM

424 posts, read 504,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
The Atlanta area gets plenty of snow and below-zero temps. Only a fool would move to Atlanta to escape the winter.
I've been here 11 years and we've had TWO snow events worth discussing. Plenty of below-zero temps? Don't remember ANY of those (maybe with the wind chill it registered that low - but that's not common).

Winter in Atlanta, GA
Atlanta's winter days are mostly warm enough to go without a coat ' though a coat might be needed on a few of the coldest days. Nighttime lows fall into the low to mid 30s during December, January and February, but snow and ice are rare. Daytime highs are in the mid to upper 50s, so a light jacket or sweater will do the trick on most winter afternoons. Wintertime visitors will enjoy the city's many holiday festivals and celebrations.

People will type anything to make a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.