U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM

65 posts, read 161,195 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for a job and as of right now I have a phone interview with a company in Green Bay, WI and another one in Charlotte, NC. Neither are guaranteed, but wanted to do my research beforehand. I'm a single 28 y/o female. Here's what I'd like to know about in both areas:

1) Outdoor activities for all seasons.
2) Nightlife and music scene.
3) Cost of living/taxes (I've used the calculator, but it's not always accurate)
4) What are the people like in both places?
5) What is the atmosphere and surrounding areas like?

I've done some research on apartment expenses and the usual things that you can find online. I live in Eastern TN so already know what Charlotte's weather will be like. I know that Green Bay will be cold, very cold, but I'll adapt to whatever the weather will bring. I've browsed through several forums about both cities and come across so much negatives with both. I would like some constructive feedback on both. Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:17 PM

30 posts, read 40,728 times
Charlotte has NC Music Factory, Verizon amp. theater. Uptown is the center for Nightlife. This entire Region believes Uptown is awesome. Which Uptown is the center for everything here. Matthews Hwy 74 corridor which would include Indian Trail area would give a busy town feel. There are a lot of people from New York, New Jersey,PA,Fl etc. Mixed in with about half local folks. Charlotte has a business corporate feel because of all the corporations based here. A lot of family activities in Charlotte.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was really hoping to get the position in Charlotte, NC, but it fell through. Right now Green Bay, WI is still on the list as well as Bridgewater, NJ (just found out about it today).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:31 PM

30 posts, read 40,728 times
Got to go where the money is... Best of luck!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM

2,952 posts, read 6,150,178 times
Sorry to hear that NC fell through, but that is one of those things to file in the "wasn't meant to be" catagory.

I can't speak of WI from first hand, but I have family in Green Bay. You'll see a lot of outdoor activities and a lot more fresh water than what you see in the South/SE. You will also find the down home Midwestern folks that are helpful and nice.

I caution with NJ - visit before committing, the NJ lifestyle is very different. Some people jive with it, some people don't.

You will also see worse traffic and higher taxes going into NJ than you will anywhere in the Midwest.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM

Honestly I do hope that I get the job in Green Bay. I will be doing a lot of traveling with it, including to places that would be near my family. Plus I'll get to fulfill that travel bug I've had for the longest time lol. I just found out that another possibility is in Des Moines, IA.

As far as NJ, the traffic doesn't worry me, it's the taxes. I would make sure that I'm getting enough pay to compensate for the higher cost of living. I've used the cost of living calculator, but would like more details on the tax break down in NJ.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM

265 posts, read 262,103 times
Sorry to hear that the opportunity in Charlotte fell through, but best of luck to you. In this economic environment, you've gotta go where you can get the job!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 41,534 times
I've lived in Green Bay for 2 years. My input:

1) Outdoor activities for all seasons. The best seasons are Spring and Summer. Winter is more limited unless you enjoy skiing and snow shoeing. In the Fall, you could hunt.
2) Nightlife and music scene. Nonexistent
3) Cost of living/taxes Taxes are high but everything else is unbelievably cheap. Green Bay will probably be one of the cheapest cities you'll ever live in
4) What are the people like in both places? Warm and friendly, but provincially minded, socially conservative, and generally keep to themselves and their families
5) What is the atmosphere and surrounding areas like? Very rural or tiny towns.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:42 PM

2,896 posts, read 3,222,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljbadd View Post
I've lived in Green Bay for 2 years. My input:

1) Outdoor activities for all seasons. The best seasons are Spring and Summer. Winter is more limited unless you enjoy skiing and snow shoeing. In the Fall, you could hunt.
2) Nightlife and music scene. Nonexistent
3) Cost of living/taxes Taxes are high but everything else is unbelievably cheap. Green Bay will probably be one of the cheapest cities you'll ever live in
4) What are the people like in both places? Warm and friendly, but provincially minded, socially conservative, and generally keep to themselves and their families
5) What is the atmosphere and surrounding areas like? Very rural or tiny towns.
I live in Green Bay too. While you're right in saying that the nightlife is non-existent, Appleton is just a short drive away. It's much more 'cosmopolitan' if you will. Everyone from Green Bay goes to Appleton to shop, to dine and for nightlife. And the Performing Arts Center is there. Green Bay has the Weidner Center, but the PAC far outweighs the Weidner in terms of shows.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:13 PM

15 posts, read 41,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I live in Green Bay too. While you're right in saying that the nightlife is non-existent, Appleton is just a short drive away. It's much more 'cosmopolitan' if you will. Everyone from Green Bay goes to Appleton to shop, to dine and for nightlife. And the Performing Arts Center is there. Green Bay has the Weidner Center, but the PAC far outweighs the Weidner in terms of shows.
Appleton's downtown is a definite upgrade but still very limited. "Cosmopolitan" is the wrong word to describe Appleton. It's actually less diverse than Green Bay but slightly less socially conservative. Appleton is more white-collar while Green Bay is very blue-collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or