U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 PM

3,982 posts, read 5,772,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Among states South Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska look best according to this as "NGO" apparently means "No General Obligation debt." Iowa, North Dakota, Montana, and Vermont are listed as pretty minimal. My birth state of Arkansas seems to be among the ten lowest in debt if I'm reading the chart right.

The worst on this look to be California, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Illinois. My current state is somewhere in the middle.
It's funny how all of the states with "NGO" debt also pay less in federal taxes than what is spent on them whereas the ones which are supposedly in the worst shape pay significantly more in federal taxes than they get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,994,772 times
That did enter my mind a bit. However Nebraska gets in about $1.10 of the dollar in puts in and Vermont is closer to parity. Still it does seem to work to an extent.

For outliers of the states that "pay more than they get back", in federal taxes, Texas and New Hampshire seem to be doing okay/better-than-average on debt. Of the states that "get back more than they pay", in federal taxes, Hawaii and Kentucky look maybe the worst. Although I might be misreading it.

Some States Get Fat, Others Fleeced - by Nate Bailey - Budget & Tax News
2010 State Debt Medians Report, Moody's Investors Service

Old 01-29-2011, 08:32 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,823,337 times
They are off base with Texas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/op...=2&ref=opinion

Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 AM

3,982 posts, read 5,772,367 times
Quote:
That did enter my mind a bit. However Nebraska gets in about $1.10 of the dollar in puts in and Vermont is closer to parity. Still it does seem to work to an extent.
I agree about VT, but the rest of them aren't even close to parity. The point is that the states in the most supposed trouble get a -20% return while several others get close to a 200% return (most of them are in the plains or the deep south). In California, that -20% accounts for close to $65 billion.

Quote:
For outliers of the states that "pay more than they get back", in federal taxes, Texas and New Hampshire seem to be doing okay/better-than-average on debt. Of the states that "get back more than they pay", in federal taxes, Hawaii and Kentucky look maybe the worst. Although I might be misreading it.
Yes, but I believe TX is in a bit more trouble than they have let on (close to $25 billion in the hole).

I can understand Hawaii being in the position it is. It's the only state that is in the middle of the pacific. Therefore, it's fairly obvious that it is going to need collective support and its relatively strong military presence does account for some of it. Kentucky is just ass-backwards.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 PM

818 posts, read 1,151,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
State budget deficits are for government services like education boards, welfare programs, etc not debt.

This interactive map is for the debt measured from the national debt and what states borrow more from the national government than lend to national government. Budget deficits are hardly ever involving the civilian population, but total debt is the debt per capita of every one in the state..

My state of New York looks awfully swarmed in debt

Old 01-29-2011, 02:09 PM

New York, Illinois, and California pay more federal taxes to the government then they get back.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but Krugman is really a guy with an ax to grind (Granted he won a Nobel Prize, but that was when they were in a fit of giving Nobel Prizes for opposing George W. Bush) so I'm not sure I'd trust his say so. Added to that the article is an opinion piece about bashing conservatives. Finally his source is a budget group pretty strongly supported by Democratic Party groups.

Still it is a support for his claim. And as dubious as I am of Krugman, which is almost as dubious as I'd be of Sean Hannity, there are regular news articles that support him on them having a major problem.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state...et-deficit.ece

So I guess New Hampshire is the only example of "pays more than it gets and doesn't have much of a debt problem" states.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 01-29-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but Krugman is really a guy with an ax to grind (Granted he won a Nobel Prize, but that was when they were in a fit of giving Nobel Prizes for opposing George W. Bush) so I'm not sure I'd trust his say so. Added to that the article is an opinion piece about bashing conservatives. Finally his source is a budget group pretty strongly supported by Democratic Party groups.

Still it is a support for his claim. And as dubious as I am of Krugman, which is almost as dubious as I'd be of Sean Hannity, there are regular news articles that support him on them having a major problem.

What would veteran lawmakers do about Texas

So I guess New Hampshire is the only example of "pays more than it gets and doesn't have much of a debt problem" states.
Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Old 01-29-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I think you should read the post closer.

One: On my own news search I decided that yes they do have a big deficit problem.

Two: If I'm skeptical of Krugman for being too far Left why would you respond by linking to the Daily Kos?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or