Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times

Advertisements

The rural areas of these states still identify as Southern, but what about the urban areas?

A large influx of people migrating from the Northeast has influenced the cultural dynamic of urban areas in or near Florida, Virginia, Georgia, and North Carolina.

Will this phenomenon spread to other states in the Southeast like South Carolina and Alabama? And could other regions in the United States see a similar pattern (i.e. the Midwesternization of the Desert Southwest)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Most of the transplants that I know here in Alabama (and the FL panhandle) are from the Midwest, not the northeast.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
LPI

110 posts, read 366,800 times
I live in Charleston, South Carolina. Well Mount Pleasant to be exact.

I relocated to Charleston from the UK due to marriage.

One thing that I noticed very quickly while dealing with buyers and sellers and everbody else involved in the real estate business was that very few people where from Charleston originally. I suppose the UK is the same, but just not on the same scale.
It seems that a lot of Ohian"s (did I just make up that word?) well, people from Ohio move to the area long with people from the New York and New Jersey areas.
Charleston is a real melting pot of people from all over the USA and world, but I think it retains it's Southerness. Of course a life long Charlestonian may disagree.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The rural areas of these states still identify as Southern, but what about the urban areas?

A large influx of people migrating from the Northeast has influenced the cultural dynamic of urban areas in or near Florida, Virginia, Georgia, and North Carolina.

Will this phenomenon spread to other states in the Southeast like South Carolina and Alabama? And could other regions in the United States see a similar pattern (i.e. the Midwesternization of the Desert Southwest)?
Its important to remember that the South already has its own cities with their own urban dynamic. Its not like Northerners are inventing them from scratch. And btw, its people from the North moving down South, including people from the Midwest also.

As long as the population influx does not overwhealm the local population in sheer numbers (like in parts of Florida and Virginia), the newcomers will adapt at least somewhat to the existing cultural surroundings. For example, I don't think newcomers are going to change old cities like Charleston, Savannah or New Orleans that much. Its less populated or newer areas that are more affected.

Some Northeners are stupid and yes they will try to change the South into the very same thing they just fled from! But not everyone is like that, some people actually like the South for what it is.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
It is not so clear cut as you make it.

Often you have rural areas that are prime locations ... near the water, for example... where the community is rural, but then a big landowner builds a gated community, and suddenly the area is full of people who move in from Long Island and New Jersey.

Quote:
Will this phenomenon spread to other states in the Southeast like South Carolina and Alabama?
Have you ever heard of Hilton Head? or Myrtle Beach? or Charleston? South Carolina has been dealing with waves of transplants for quite some time.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Some Northeners are stupid and yes they will try to change the South into the very same thing they just fled from! But not everyone is like that, some people actually like the South for what it is.
I try to stay open-minded, but it is very hard for me to understand and accept.

Younger transplants are usually fine. They tend to approach the relocation like an adventure, with an open mind. They tend to enjoy the quirkiness of the deep south as a cultural experience, or they recognize that it just isn't for them. A good bit of my friends are transplants from big cities up north.

The older folks are another story.

Last edited by le roi; 11-18-2010 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I try to stay open-minded, but it is very hard for me to understand and accept.

Younger transplants are usually fine. They tend to approach the relocation like an adventure, with an open mind. They tend to enjoy the quirkiness of the deep south as a cultural experience, or they recognize that it just isn't for them. A good bit of my friends are transplants from big cities up north.

The older folks are another story.
Old folks are only temporary transplants. They don't call Florida "Heaven's waiting room" for nothin'.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Regional distinctions are breaking down nationwide.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Old folks are only temporary transplants. They don't call Florida "Heaven's waiting room" for nothin'.
Amen to that!
There are parts of Marion County that are still quite Southern, but when one gets down by the Villages, it becomes quite different.
Just glad I'm in Missouri for the next couple of months!
Which is Midwestern (except for the Bootheel), I dont care what someone from out of state says!

Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,710,840 times
Seems like all of Massachusetts has moved to Atlanta, all you see is NY, MA, PA and NJ tags everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.