U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 PM

47 posts, read 218,654 times
Default Best Cities for Single Moms

Hi, I am a single mom of two (ages 13 and 7) and I am curious to know if anyone has any information on the best cities to relocate/live for a single mom? I work in the banking industry and I am looking for a city with little or no snow and a decent cost of living. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,078,900 times
The first city that came to mind to me was Charlotte seeing as how it's a banking mecca, has a low cost of living for an urban area, and has relatively mild weather and averages only around 7 inches of snow per year (by contrast, Indianapolis, where I'm assuming based on your user name is where you're located, averages 24 inches per year). I would imagine your being a single mother wouldn't be an issue. I was under the impression that it's not really an issue anymore in this country to the extent that you'll be whispered about or discriminated against, minus perhaps some small towns in the Bible Belt. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm also not sure how the schools stack up in Charlotte but I'm sure some locals can give some more in-depth information about that.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:24 PM

3,624 posts, read 10,102,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDiva73 View Post
Hi, I am a single mom of two (ages 13 and 7) and I am curious to know if anyone has any information on the best cities to relocate/live for a single mom? I work in the banking industry and I am looking for a city with little or no snow and a decent cost of living. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Delaware, has banking, they do get snow!

Florida, is still o.k. if you buy you get a 25,000 homestead, and a cap at 3 percent with no snow.

Florida look towards the Tampa, and New Tampa area.

Check out monster.com. Also check and sent out resumes to banks.

If you have college you might even like to teach, or consider Verizon.

A good company with benefits! They will pay you to go to school.

Best of Luck.

Judy

Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,530,660 times
Default Texas

Try Texas!

Dallas could fit your bill.

Personally, I would go for San Antonio. The city is growing with lots of new banks here. Reasonable housing costs. No snow (well, it did snow about 20 years ago for a day).

Old 09-01-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The first city that came to mind to me was Charlotte seeing as how it's a banking mecca, has a low cost of living for an urban area, and has relatively mild weather and averages only around 7 inches of snow per year (by contrast, Indianapolis, where I'm assuming based on your user name is where you're located, averages 24 inches per year). I would imagine your being a single mother wouldn't be an issue. I was under the impression that it's not really an issue anymore in this country to the extent that you'll be whispered about or discriminated against, minus perhaps some small towns in the Bible Belt. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm also not sure how the schools stack up in Charlotte but I'm sure some locals can give some more in-depth information about that.
You know what? Charlotte is one of the cities that I have seriously considered in the past! I have heard that they are like the 'banking mecca' of the US and I have seen that the rental costs in the more affluent areas are not so bad! I would have to do a little more research into the schools but all in all, I think I will consider Charlotte as a possible relocation spot. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Delaware, has banking, they do get snow!

Florida, is still o.k. if you buy you get a 25,000 homestead, and a cap at 3 percent with no snow.

Florida look towards the Tampa, and New Tampa area.

Check out monster.com. Also check and sent out resumes to banks.

If you have college you might even like to teach, or consider Verizon.

A good company with benefits! They will pay you to go to school.

Best of Luck.

Judy

Tampa is one of the cities that I have considered relocating to in the past and am still considering. It's not on the ocean but then again, it's not prone to hurricanes but I feel that any natural disaster can happen anywhere you live so that's not too much of an issue to me. I live within 'Tornado Alley' and I have never experienced a tornado head-on (thank God!). I am considering Tampa because of its location (close to the beaches and Orlando) and it seems that the cost of living is fairly close to what the cost of living is here in Indianapolis. Thanks for the input!

Old 09-30-2006, 01:25 PM

198 posts, read 653,160 times
Default Relo

To Indygal...I too am in Indianapolis, a single mom of a 5 year old and I am a teacher. My top relo spots were all in South Carolina (Charleston, Greenville, and Colombia). These cities have oceans and mountains, comparable costs of living like Indy and offer surrounding schools and colleges (HBCU's also) in their state. I am looking towards a 2007 summer relocation. Texas, which I considered first, just seems so far. Best of luck to you!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:24 PM

105 posts, read 1,179 times
For banking simply project future growth. Banks look at demographics and locate in areas where they will have more customers in the future. Texas is growing pretty quickly and is correctly a good choice. You dont have to live in a big city however. There are other considerations. Corpus is a beach city that has almost no snow. Rockport where I live is growing rapidly and as an ocean resort has more men than women even among the older age groups. Lots of guys with yachts and other boats.

Arizona is also growing quickly and if you like the desert it might be a good consideration.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 22,904 times
I, too, am looking for a place to relocate in the near future. I will be a single mother of 4. I am a LPN continuing my education in Psychology. I am looking for a small private town with good schools. Being single isn't an issue, my kids safety is. New Jersey will be too expensive for me after my divorce. Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 15,997 times
I am looking to relocate as well. I currently live in Pgh and I own my own hair salon. I hate the snow and the fact that the sun doesn't shine often here. I am a single mother and I want to be somewhere I can grow a new business relatively fast...enjoy warm weather, no snow...enjoy performing arts, some night life, fine restaurants, great place for hair. Please Help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.