U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,561,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Okay, I admit that my post may have been a bit unfair. But I have encountered a lot of people on this forum and elsewhere who seem to think that Minnesota is the best and that no state can match up with it, even going so far as to compare the twin cities to NYC. My post wasn't directed at you so much but at all the other Minnesota "homers" who think that nothing can compare to their home state. I guess you get homers everywhere, but there seem to be a larger number in Minnesota than for example Cleveland where I'm from, I think because the Twin Cities are the biggest and best thing in their region. Homers from anywhere annoy me.

Anyway, though, I guess I am apologizing for my reply to your post, Minnesota does indeed have a lot of diversity in it, and I have been to a large portion of the state. My favorite area is the St. Croix river up through Duluth and the north shore of Lake Superior.
I have yet to hear someone from Minnesota compare the Twin Cities to NYC and I've met a lot of people since moving here. BTW, the homers representing Cleveland are much worse than those representing the Twin Cities. Have you ever read some of JohnDBaumgardner's posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM

127 posts, read 161,574 times
A GuyfromCleveland- I don't suppose you're in Northfield attending St. Olaf or Carleton?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM

127 posts, read 161,574 times
There's some great cinematic stereotypes to go with these three states:

Fargo vs. American Movie vs. What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 PM

766 posts, read 1,853,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
A GuyfromCleveland- I don't suppose you're in Northfield attending St. Olaf or Carleton?
I go to Carleton actually, why do you ask?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,070,233 times
MN and WI have alot more natural beauty, the lakes and woods make a better outdoor experience for summer recreation. Fishing and boating in Iowa is almost a joke compared to MN and WI.

One advantage IA has over MN and WI however, is the climate. 46 below in International Falls MN last week........thats too friggin cold. I'm in the DSM area and would not even like to live up by Mason City or Decorah let alone MN or WI. They get so much more snow up there, I like some winter but not lots of below zero like they get in MN and WI. I like to be able to go out for walks in the winter but it needs to be at least 10 or 20 degrees above with light winds. Too much snow makes it difficult to get around on foot because people don't keep their sidewalks cleared off. No thanks MN and WI, I like a warm summer with more days in the 80s and 90s, plus more bicycling days in the spring and fall.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,166,181 times
Carleton, great great school

Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,833,984 times
Toss-up between Minnesota and Wisconsin

Wisconsin's countryside is more consistently beautiful because of the non-glaciated rolling farmland and hills and valleys;
The lakes in Northern Minnesota are comparable to the lakes in Northern Wisconsin;
Minnesota's North Shore is awesome, but so is Bayfield/Apostle Islands and Door County
Both states enjoy the St Croix River and the Mississippi River Valley (including Lake Pepin)
I like Milwaukee and LaCrosse and I love Madison, but I'd still take Minneapolis-St. Paul as the most vibrant larger city (due to the lakes, parkways, neighborhoods and Uptown/Downtown Mpls and Grand/Summit Ave in St Paul). Duluth is also an interesting, very unique city given its hills, Victorian architecture and the lake/bay setting.

Sorry Iowa--I like you too (especially Iowa City, Muscatine's cool main street, Dubuque, and the revival of downtown Des Moines), but you still come in 3rd in this race.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
1. WI- what can I say, they have the big lake!
2. MN- they do have Lake Superior, but it's too blasted cold to swim in.
3. IA- don't know a lot about it, have only driven through but it just doesn't hold any appeal for me personally, maybe because it doesn't have any mountains or the great lakes.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,166,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
1. WI- what can I say, they have the big lake!
2. MN- they do have Lake Superior, but it's too blasted cold to swim in.
3. IA- don't know a lot about it, have only driven through but it just doesn't hold any appeal for me personally, maybe because it doesn't have any mountains or the great lakes.

Hey! I went swimming a lot this summer!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM

371 posts, read 518,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
This is my order as well. But I'm biased as well because I haven't been to Wisconsin, and I just went through Iowa to get to Minnesota... and that was when I was 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.