U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2011, 03:30 PM
 
56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507

Advertisements

We have to be careful about ethnocentrism when viewing history anyway you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
1,472 posts, read 3,019,897 times
Reputation: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
We have to be careful about ethnocentrism when viewing history anyway you look at it.
True, but its not a issue in this discussion. I don't care what corner of the globe you hail from, when presented with the accomplishments of early mound and pueblo builders vs. modern American civilization there is no comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2011, 05:21 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
True, but its not a issue in this discussion. I don't care what corner of the globe you hail from, when presented with the accomplishments of early mound and pueblo builders vs. modern American civilization there is no comparison.
You can't compare them because the native civilizations of the Americas were in their peak at the same time period as early medieval Europe . That would be like comparing the modern Chinese state to Angkor Wat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Reputation: 6679
I don't want to disparage the indigenous people of the US who did many great and interesting things, but I think some have a bit of a point.

I mentioned their cities and villages, some of which are quite fascinating, but it is true there wasn't anything quite like the Mayas or the Incas in the area that is today the US. Some argue that that's all for the good. That the Incas or Mayas, and certainly Aztecs, were either violent empires (Incas, Aztecs) or quarrelsome city-states destructive to their environment (Mayas). And I lean toward that myself at times, but still it is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,397,936 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Comparatively speaking, these "native" Americans [DNA pinpoints them coming from areas of modern-day Mongolia and North Central China] were savages, compared to that of Western Civilization which grew out of Western Europe.

Wow, a "farm", a few buildings, etc. Compare that to advanced technologies such as that found in the space program, electronics, computers, the light bulb, etc. It's preposterous to call them advanced. Hey, the "native" Americans can't even hold a candle to ancient Chinese, Babylonian, and Egyptian civilizations.

By the way, there very well may have been Europeans on this land that predated the so-called Asiatic "natives", as various artifacts and skeletons have been found which seem to support this hypothesis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The vast majority were uncivilized savages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
You are so off. The theories of Europeans being here were all disproven even all of the afrocentrists claims.
Are you people serious!?

I don't even know where to start with correcting these posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: NY, NY
1,208 posts, read 1,459,739 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't want to disparage the indigenous people of the US who did many great and interesting things, but I think some have a bit of a point.

I mentioned their cities and villages, some of which are quite fascinating, but it is true there wasn't anything quite like the Mayas or the Incas in the area that is today the US. Some argue that that's all for the good. That the Incas or Mayas, and certainly Aztecs, were either violent empires (Incas, Aztecs) or quarrelsome city-states destructive to their environment (Mayas). And I lean toward that myself at times, but still it is a difference.
There most certainly was a great civlization like the Maya and Aztec in the US borders. Look up Cahokia, it was a city of about 50,000 people in the Mississippi River valley. It was larger than London and Paris at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 AM
 
56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Reputation: 12507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
True, but its not a issue in this discussion. I don't care what corner of the globe you hail from, when presented with the accomplishments of early mound and pueblo builders vs. modern American civilization there is no comparison.
It's really a matter of preference, as many might say that the simple lifestyle of the early native civilizations might have been a good thing. I bet they treated the environment better than modern American civilizations, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Reputation: 30796
I bet more people are aware that there were pre-European civilizations in North America than realize that most European were living a lifestyle/economy much like Native Americans at the time of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I bet more people are aware that there were pre-European civilizations in North America than realize that most European were living a lifestyle/economy much like Native Americans at the time of Christ.
This is true. Many forget that Europe was once "uncivilized" (in their terms).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,966,872 times
Reputation: 6679
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
There most certainly was a great civlization like the Maya and Aztec in the US borders. Look up Cahokia, it was a city of about 50,000 people in the Mississippi River valley. It was larger than London and Paris at the time.
I'm aware of Cahokia and it's quite impressive. Still it's not the same as civilizations that had literacy and advanced astronomy (Mayas, Aztecs) or had metal-working and a vast communication system (Incas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top