U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:24 AM

77 posts, read 385,617 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm 24, I've lived in L.A. County my whole life.

There are 2 reasons I want to find better places to live.

1. I guess all of California is on that Falt line & I simply want to find a better place to live & raise a family.

2. L.A. County.. No matter how much money you spend on a house, you're still a stone throw away from a really Bad Neighborhood.

If it weren't for Reason number 1, I'd just move to a place like Orange County.

I want to find a place that doesn't have Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes or floods. I know it exists! I KNOW IT! Has To Exist!

But now, I'm sure whoever you are- I'm sure you've been to other places in the U.S. ( I really haven't..) Or I'm sure you have some good ideas for me- please! Make Recommendations.

As for money & work, not so much an issue.. I'm a business owner, I can take my work where I go (Entrepreneur) I plan to be rich soon.

And that's basically it.. I just really want to live in a Nice Neighborhood, town, Village, Suburb- What ever! I want to be in a nice place, surrounded by nice people if I can..

I want to be in a place that isn't in the middle of nowhere.. If I can.. I like how in Southern California, say.. Orange County, it's not in the middle of nowhere- It's not like if you try to leave orange county you'd just be driving through miles & miles of Desert & woods.

But please don't let that keep you from making recommendations- please! Reply with Recommendations! Please!

Thank you so soo much! I really do appreciate it!

Truly Sincerely,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 AM

26,541 posts, read 62,999,930 times
I do not think that there are any polaces with no such things, but there are places where they are uncommon. I live partly in Michian and partly in OC. In our part of Michigan, we do not have earthquakes of any magnitude (normally, but it is possible to have one anywhere on the earth). We do not have hurricanes. There are tornadoes, but not as common as in places like Kansas, Oklahoma or Arizona. We did spend a few nights in the basement this past summer, but it was all false alarms. We do get blizzards once in a while, but nothing severe. No wildfires. No floods. So it is less of a natural disaster area, but hardly problem free. You cna live in a nice community with no badness nearby and houses are really really cheap. You just cant get a job so you need to bring one with you. (Do economic disasters count?)

Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
We really have no natural disasters here in Northern Virginia. Very rarely we're affected by the remnants of a hurricane but no major loss of life or property damage occurs.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 PM
JS1

1,898 posts, read 6,127,715 times
I can think of plenty... how about Colorado Springs

Old 01-30-2011, 01:28 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,098,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I can think of plenty... how about Colorado Springs
Other than cities in Florida, California, or Louisiana most big cities in the United States never see any kind of a natural disaster. How about Seattle?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM

13,989 posts, read 10,932,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
I want to find a place that doesn't have Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes or floods. I know it exists! I KNOW IT! Has To Exist!
They do, but they are usually boring as hell.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:46 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,817,192 times
Denver! it has lots of snow though....

I wouldn't go for Seattle unless you like rainy, gloomy days for 9 months a year and introverted people.

Denver!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:51 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
2. L.A. County.. No matter how much money you spend on a house, you're still a stone throw away from a really Bad Neighborhood.
San Diego. No matter how much you spend on a house. you're still a stone throw from a REALLY Bad Neighborhood. It's called "Tijuana."

Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,817,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
San Diego. No matter how much you spend on a house. you're still a stone throw from a REALLY Bad Neighborhood. It's called "Tijuana."
That was random

Old 01-30-2011, 01:59 PM

7,150 posts, read 8,806,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Other than cities in Florida, California, or Louisiana most big cities in the United States never see any kind of a natural disaster. How about Seattle?
??????? SEATTLE ???????? -- Earthquake central, just like California ... on major faults and due for the BIG one according to every geologist.

Quietest place for natural disasters is the SW ... if you can deal with the heat and sparse water conditions ... Albuquerque is a nasty city ... Phoenix is blistering hot half the year but has features some folks like (I don't like any of it -- but that's just me) ... Tucson, AZ is probably the closest to a natural disaster-free city you can find with good neighborhoods (and has its share of bad neighborhoods, as well) ... hot in summer but not so much as Phoenix ... and has plenty places not far out of town up in the hills where temperatures are only moderately hot in summer and remain very nice through winter ... not a real BIG city, but plenty to do. Santa Fe is extremely nice, extremely -- chilly winters (still lots of sun, though) ... considerably smaller than Tucson, but culturally active year around so lots of activities.

24 and expect to be rich soon, huh? Good luck with that ... good news, if you like Tucson or Santa Fe: they are fairly affordable compared to California ... Santa Fe isn't cheap, but within bounds ... Tucson is flat out cheaper than just about anyplace in California ... but, hell, you'll be rich, so doesn't matter right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.