Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe, Denver, St. George Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradridesbmx View Post
Okay, I'm 20 years old, lived in Michigan my entire life. I hate it. Mostly I hate the people here, so I want to move away and start over. I've got a bit of money saved, a good car and a good work ethic. I want to move to a city but I'm not sure where. I was thinking Portland or Seattle, but I have SAD and the constant overcast would not be good. So I thought Salt Lake City, but from what I have read it can be lonely and hard to make friends. I like heat but not humidity. and I like to be able to kinda close to a ski resort. I don't want to live in LA or some huge city like that. any ideas? Thanks
First of all, I fixed your post. You need to remember to use punctuation properly, and please remember to capitalize your cities. It makes it much easier to read.

It sounds like you need to find yourself. I would suggest Colorado, or if you're willing to get a working holiday visa, Canada. B.C. is full of great skiing towns, and is very easy to make friends. think about it anyways - you're young, do it while you can.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
^Go easy on bradridesbmx. He probably does a lot of texting, for which good spelling and punctuation isn't the norm.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Who is seriously recommending Denver and Salt Lake City for a girl who's looking for a "warm" city? Sure there is nearby snowing, but "warm"? Absolutely not.

OP... check out Tucson, AZ. Its affordable, close to skiing at Mt. Lemmon, and decently warm in the winter. If you can handle the summer heat (which isnt as bad as PHX) and the relative "blah"-ness of Tucson, I think you might be a perfect fit for you.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Who is seriously recommending Denver and Salt Lake City for a girl who's looking for a "warm" city? Sure there is nearby snowing, but "warm"? Absolutely not.

OP... check out Tucson, AZ. Its affordable, close to skiing at Mt. Lemmon, and decently warm in the winter. If you can handle the summer heat (which isnt as bad as PHX) and the relative "blah"-ness of Tucson, I think you might be a perfect fit for you.
Denver winters are subtropical by comparison to those in Michigan and most of the upper midwest. The OP was the one who suggested Salt Lake City herself and the true reality is that snow skiing in Southern Arizona just plain sucks. I certainly wouldn't describe Denver as a warm weather city, but we routinely have 50's,60' and even 70's for day time highs in mid-winter. It was nearly 70 one day last weekend here. We take some breaks from our cold weather. Humidity isn't your friend at colder temps. either.

Last edited by Scott5280; 02-02-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 11:11 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
^Go easy on bradridesbmx. He probably does a lot of texting, for which good spelling and punctuation isn't the norm.
LOL I know. I work with young people, and how they learned to write, I have no idea!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Sacramento. Fits your criteria pretty much to a "t".

Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I'd say somewhere in northern New Mexico, like Santa Fe or Albuquerque, or maybe, if you are looking for somewhere smaller, like Taos, NM. The sun can be very intense in these cities, and while it does get cold in the winter, it's not so cold you can't get outside and soak up some of wonderful sun.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Tri-Cities area or any of Eastern WA, even Easten OR, while sometimes cold in winter, is warm in summer, lot of sun in summer, skiing nearby. I beg to differ with the "people are people" comment, I have experienced a considerably different "vibe" in different regions. The midwest vibe is one I can do without, for example the hatred of foreign cars and bikes.

You could do something in the Southwest as well, but I have never lived there.

The Denver area of CO is very sunny, good skiing abounds. But on and off, the snow will not wait for you to come visit it, it will come visit you, and sometimes in mammoth quantities, even later in the spring than you might think.

Anecdote - working at St. Vrain power plant, I left Johnstown for the 8 mile commute with dry clear roads, and just a couple of snowflakes coming down, but not serious looking. Never made it in to work that day, the entire dayshift crew ended up stranded on that county road like Lakeshore Blvd. just got a couple of days ago. But, we pretty well all knew each other, a few guys with 4WD trucks hauled the rest of us back into at least Johnstown, we all left our cars locked up but on the road, next day the snow melted.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Sacramento. Fits your criteria pretty much to a "t".
I was going to say Sacramento as well... If you're looking somewhere with warm weather, pretty dry(and rarely that cold) and close to excellent skiing--Sacto is probably the best best in the West. You're only an hour or two away from about 13 ski areas--some of which like Squaw Valley are comparable up there with the best in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.